Apple: 1 million iPhone 3Gs sold over weekend | iLounge News

Apple: 1 million iPhone 3Gs sold over weekend

Apple has announced that it sold its one millionth iPhone 3G on Sunday, just three days after its launch on July 11. The phone is currently available in 21 countries, including Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and the US, and will go on sale in France on July 17. “iPhone 3G had a stunning opening weekend,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “It took 74 days to sell the first one million original iPhones, so the new iPhone 3G is clearly off to a great start around the world.”

« iPhone App Store hits 10 million downloads

Is your iPhone 3G having headphone port problems? »

Comments

1 million in 21 countries that is 47619 iphone per countrie.
So is not that great

Posted by cheapbastard on July 14, 2008 at 8:51 AM (CDT)

Well, some of the countries on the list is really small. Norway for example. Rumors says 6000 iPhones were sold in Norway, which is really good.

Posted by Eirik on July 14, 2008 at 9:05 AM (CDT)

It’s really not that great of a start.  If it was one million in the US alone, then that would be good.  I waited to see what happend with the launch.  I figured something would go wrong with the activation in stores and I was right.  I want an iPhone and will get one eventually,  but am going to wait until later this year to see if a 32 GB comes out.  Plus I am not eligible for an upgrade even though I’ve been a AT+T customer for over 4 years now.  I was told in early June that all I had to do is change my data plan and I could buy the 16 GB for $299.  Now of course, they change their mind and I have to pay $499.  Not that I can’t afford the extra $200, but it’s just the point.

Posted by Scott on July 14, 2008 at 9:07 AM (CDT)

This is for the weekend only.
Is great results

Posted by Nikolay on July 14, 2008 at 10:36 AM (CDT)

I ‘d say that this weekend was a disaster.
Both Apple and its partners proved their marketing muscles but also their operational weaknesses to support those. Go figure how many people were disappointed - a multiple of a million.

Posted by Bacillus on July 14, 2008 at 10:53 AM (CDT)

well here in the Uk, 02 is still not doing upgrades due to there systems been down since Friday as the stores opened, im still waiting for my iphone, its in the store room still!!  and still no reson given by 02, even the stores dont know why, they have been told not to put any Iphone 3G’s through the till, so they are not selling any Iphones in the UK at the moment, what a mess!!

Posted by Rob in plymouth on July 14, 2008 at 12:22 PM (CDT)

Are you kidding me?  I live in the Tampa Bay area and not one AT&T store has an iphone or has had one.  There is only one Apple store in an area that has about 1 million people plus.  The line at the apple store is hours long and they are running out.  This has been handled so badly that I no longer will even get an iphone.  They can stick it where the sun don’t shine!

Posted by mark on July 14, 2008 at 3:35 PM (CDT)