Apple acknowledges iTunes 9 iPod sync issues | iLounge News

Apple acknowledges iTunes 9 iPod sync issues

Apple has belatedly acknowledged a number of sync issues with iTunes and Click Wheel iPod models that users have been experiencing since the initial release of iTunes 9 in September. Following the release of iTunes 9, a number of iLounge readers have reported problems with their iPods not being recognized by iTunes, extremely slow syncs and iTunes crashing during sync. Although iPod classic users seem to be most affected by these issues, it appears that iPod nano users have also experienced similar problems. Apple had previously provided no comment, but has now confirmed that it is “aware of the issue and are investigating.” (via AppleInsider)

« iPodweek coming shortly, still time to sign up

Apple countersues Nokia for 13 alleged patent infringements »

Comments

And yet, Apple still won’t acknowledge the sync issues with Smart Playlists on the iPhone. <sigh>

Posted by Herr Doktor on December 11, 2009 at 1:25 PM (CST)

One battle at a time, Herr Doktor ;)

Posted by rockmyplimsoul on December 11, 2009 at 2:07 PM (CST)

I have been having sync issues with my HDD based iPods (30gb 5th gen and 120gb classic) since iTunes 8.  Extremely slow sync speeds and quite often the cover arts gets mixed up.

Posted by Colin on December 11, 2009 at 10:08 PM (CST)

So, what is the deal with changing itunes so it stores online instead of in your hard drive.  Is that actually going to happen, so we don’t have to keep worrying about our tunes being backed up every day?

Posted by imgja on December 12, 2009 at 11:07 PM (CST)

There is also an isuue with the Iphone and problems with app updates not working, showing the update still available after apparently showing a successful update. I believe Apple knows this by now!

Posted by Rob on December 13, 2009 at 7:54 PM (CST)

I’ve notice slow updates on my 160 gig iPod Classic after making the upgrade (actually, needed to wipe a system due to a harddrive deciding to quite working).  At first, I thought it was my iPod acting up, until I did some research on the issue and realized other folks were having the same types of issues.

Posted by SkiBumMSP on December 15, 2009 at 5:05 PM (CST)

Got an iPod Classic for Christmas, struggling with itunes, crashed 3 times, deleted all my added podcasts, took an age to find how to sync iTunes u, so they have just acknowledged issues with this software, they are so kind!!! What is it with these companies can’t they just be honest, I am so near to giving up on iTunes and going to winamp…..

Posted by skj on December 27, 2009 at 4:25 PM (CST)

My ipod classic (two weeks left on warranty) is stuck in perpetual recovery mode and I am unable to restore it to factory settings.  I have tried all recommended fixes and nothing works.  Today I sent it back to Apple in hopes that they will be able to repair or replace it.  I know that I am not alone in experiencing this problem.  My question is, what has gone wrong?  What is up with this product?  Has the updated itunes fried the hard drive?

Posted by jamolio on December 30, 2009 at 8:39 PM (CST)

Merry effing Christmas for Apple putting all of my holiday focusing on recovering my music library. When I downloaded ITunes 9 to my 5th generation black ipod and my P.o.S. Dell to set a playlist of Hawaiian Xmas songs for a party, everything that was in my ITunes file and my IPOD disappeared except for a few things I purchased from ITunes Store. All the songs from my CD collection are gone. I don’t know where they went and I don’t want to pay some third party for recovery. I started with an SE. This might be the last Apple product I buy. As the character on Saturday Night Live says"Fix it….Just Fix it!”

Posted by Rod Johnstone on January 11, 2010 at 10:49 PM (CST)

Ever since iTunes 9.0.3 my iPon Classic 80G has errored out when syncing the calnedar I have tryed rebooting, reloading iTunes, reloading the iPod - Everything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW if fails on 3 different machines

Posted by Dude Man on February 14, 2010 at 10:28 AM (CST)

My IPOD Classic (30G) will no longer sync. I just spent hours loading new content on my PC itunes. For what?  How do I get it on my IPOD????? Why won’t Apple fix this? I always thought I wanted a MAC vs. the PC, but now I’m not so sure. If Apple’s intent is to render older, perfectly capable devices obsolete though this kind of action then why buy Apple products. It speaks to the concience of the company and their attitude toward their users. Is there a way to force a sync? Is there a way to back up to a working update. I’m on 9.0.3.15

Posted by Marge on February 15, 2010 at 1:28 PM (CST)

What about the sync issues with the iPod Touch/iPhones? Every time I want to sync my iPod Touch second gen, I have to take all of my music off, and put it all back on, just to add one or two tracks at a time, WTF?!?!? I even set up my iTunes to tell it it’s not an iPhone.. You would think Apple would try to actually keep their customers happy, and not take 6 months to address an issue like this… I’m getting a Zune…

Posted by Rob on March 13, 2010 at 5:32 AM (CST)

First, iTunes 9.1 would not sync until I removed UltraEdit from my computer—and it is a tool I use regularly.  Now iTunes 9.1 cannot find ANY of my music, lost 9 of my 14 iPhone 3GS applications and lost all but three of my podcasts.  What a disaster.  It created a folder called iTunes media and transferred 3 of my twelve podcasts,  5 of my 14 applications and NONE of my music. I have over 100 CDs loaded and do NOT want to point to each individual track for iTunes to find it. Additionally, many are old music instruction CDs with no automatic track titles, so all the track titles had to be entered by hand.  This is the third time I’ve lost everything. It has cost me days to recover in the past and I cannot afford more days to fix the consequences of Apple’s bugs.  I love my iPhone, but Android is a contender if Apple cannot get their act together before my AT&T contract ends.  I want the iTunes Apple advertises, not time-consuming problems. When am I going to learn that I must do a full disk backup before installing an Apple update?

Posted by Lucky on April 20, 2010 at 11:30 AM (CDT)

I’m now in the same boat as lots of you; syncing iTouch with iTunes 9 impossible.  Spent hours with Apple on phone and in store - neither much help, except to uninstall and install 3 different times.  All to no avail.  Why doesn’t Apple inform their customer reps of the problem? They seem unaware.  At least I’d feel a bit more confident that the experts are trying to fix it- I can wait for that, but losing confidence in the product and company.  If they want to keep repeat customers, they need to change…FAST.

Posted by BG on April 25, 2010 at 8:35 PM (CDT)

I have ipod nano,and sync songs option is deactivate now.how can i sync songs in my ipod.pls suggest

Posted by jpp on April 30, 2010 at 2:55 PM (CDT)

I just bought the iPod Classic (160GB), installed iTunes 9 and have had nothing but troubles since.  Curiously, my stupid iPod seems to be FULL (no room left on HDD) right from the factory, so nothing can be loaded, not even one song, though now that I have read all these postings I’m not so sure it is the hardware as I originally suspected (though that is very odd that a new device would be full, right out of the box). Has anyone seen this before—full HDD right from the factory?

Posted by Robert on May 8, 2010 at 8:41 PM (CDT)

Just having upgraded to Windows 7(32bit), Itunes 9.1.1.12(latest) and ipod touch 3G 32gb do not sync at all,cannot transfer any songs or Apps to ipod.
Called Tech services at Apple,after a couple of days of supposedly figureing out whats wrong,they have called me to say that the problem must be with Windows 7 as they cannot find any other probllem which would cause the problem..

My suggestion for now is , if you have sync problems , Use Windows XP for now, as they ( APPLE ) obviously can’t be bothered helping solve the problem..

Posted by RJ on June 4, 2010 at 8:35 AM (CDT)

I have a Ipod 30Gig 5th generation .
I have been slowly building up my library , adding my cd collection to my XP PC , and over the past 12months my Vinal collection too.
I spend an age soring all the covers out , titles etc , and making sure my ipod and PC where about the same . I had it just how I wanted it .
I was really proud when my ipod and itunes where identical ..
Then I made the ultimate mistake - downloaded Itunes 9 , it is actually 9.2.0.6 , and now I try and sync , it errors constantly, it has deleted several 100’s of tracks off my Ipod .and in short made a real mess. I contacted Apple , who wanted ME to pay to talk to someone ..
I loved my apple , but now I am totally Miffed off with it . and fee like starting all over again with something else , any sugestions or help would be gratefullt received ..

Posted by Trevor Meakin on June 25, 2010 at 6:02 PM (CDT)

Why do I always find these treasure troves of knowledge—or shared frustration—only after my device is in the crapper!?  Here is the problem I am right in the middle of:

My collection had grown to some 5,000+ songs from various sources, and I had a ton of duplicate entries in the iTunes Music Library list (and some dupes on the hard drive)  I used 3rd party app’s (Easy Dupe Finder to find and delete the dupe tracks; and Tune Up Companion to get accurate track and album names, artwork—they were both cool, but maybe part of the problem?)

After spending 6+ hours manually locating the links to tracks Itunes could not find, and getting everything all pretty and organized:  BANG!  It would not let me dock my iPod to the computer/itunes, and I had to “restore” it (what a euphemism for destroy your collection!) and re-sync from scratch.

Well, that has been 11 hours ago now on the slimmed down 3,076 songs, and it is still spinning, allegedly syncing, and I sit with my thumb up my bum wondering what the HELL IS GOING ON?

One tech post said he tested syncing and it takes about 20 seconds for a 5:00 song?  S0, 3,000 songs x 20 seconds = 60,000 seconds = 1,000 minutes = 16.666 hours.  This is absurd, IF it is even working.

I did this BEFORE I attempted to add an additional 3-4,000 songs from a massive library I have to select from, but, at this point, I’m about to use this STUPID 160 gig iPod Classic for a paperweight.

What other machines do people love and use standard headphone jacks so I can continue to enjoy my Shure SE520 earphones (the fact that Apple gives people those ridiculous ear buds for the price they pay for their products is a whole other level of joke!)

Posted by Brad Woodworth on June 28, 2010 at 6:37 PM (CDT)

I ipod fails to update the play count.  Reinstalled all programs and it worked for a few weeks, but now it doesn’t.  Very frustrating.

Posted by Tim Clark on June 30, 2010 at 8:46 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >