Apple acknowledges iTunes 9 iPod sync issues | iLounge News

Apple acknowledges iTunes 9 iPod sync issues

Apple has belatedly acknowledged a number of sync issues with iTunes and Click Wheel iPod models that users have been experiencing since the initial release of iTunes 9 in September. Following the release of iTunes 9, a number of iLounge readers have reported problems with their iPods not being recognized by iTunes, extremely slow syncs and iTunes crashing during sync. Although iPod classic users seem to be most affected by these issues, it appears that iPod nano users have also experienced similar problems. Apple had previously provided no comment, but has now confirmed that it is “aware of the issue and are investigating.” (via AppleInsider)

« iPodweek coming shortly, still time to sign up

Apple countersues Nokia for 13 alleged patent infringements »

Comments

i have a iPod touch (2nd generation). Recently i updated my itunes version to 9 and when installed it i refused to let my iPod get connected with it citing reason that some software required is not installed. it further suggested to uninstall iTUnes completely and then reinstall. however, no matter how many times i did, it repeated the same message all over. i even got my PC formatted.

it is really frustrating since i was really looking forward to getting the iOS 4 on my ipod.

Posted by Harshad Naik on July 4, 2010 at 2:07 AM (CDT)

Cannot sync my ipod 80 GB classic after the new update as of middle of June 2010. Had Best Buy restore the ipod, no change. Best Buy sent in my ipod and I got a replacement-with cheaper back cover that doesn’t even show the GB size or that it is even an apple product, and the round click button on the front is a cheap plastic. And still cannot sync ipod. I also have removed itunes out of programs and features and reinstalled-no change. So now I have an ipod with only 1 test song from repair. I scanned my computer and removed “unhealed infections”, which didn’t even have anything to do with itunes. This all started after the new update from itunes about the middle of June, never had this problem before. Now I have a refurbished ipod that looks like a cheap imitation that won’t sync from itunes. itunes will freeze and so does the ipod. I couldn’t even restore the ipod, Best Buy had to do that for me. Looks like I will have to wait for a new update and keep my fingers crossed. Nothing like having a little expensive piece of electronics that won’t work. If I can’t get this thing to work I’ll sell that damn thing and never buy from apple again.

Posted by Neal on July 4, 2010 at 2:14 AM (CDT)

well, I have the same problem with my 80GiG 6th generation. It was working perfectly fine, but one day, I did the update to itunes 9 and since then, I can not really synchronize. It works for a few albums and then, without reason, I get the message error -50. I have decided to try moving back to itunes 8. I will see what happen and keep you posted…
Other funny joke, I am a Ubuntu user and when I bought my 6th generation, I realized (with anger I must say) that the 6th generation did not work with Ubuntu. Apple is probably afraid of Ubuntu, which is growing and above all, working well. They tell you that either at the Apple stores, maybe they are not aware of it, but selling a product without knowing it is dishonest according to me… Anyway, I could keep going, but the download of Itunes 8 is almost over… I will all let you know if this work, and if not, I will switch to an other brand, I heard Archos is making some really nice products…

Posted by cedric on July 9, 2010 at 3:33 AM (CDT)

I finally got a brand new 160GB iPod and when i went home to try to put my whole library in it an error message pops up saying iTune has encountered a problem it has to close. I’m thinking to myself all this technology is useless if it doesnt work. Someone please help. Even though i researched this problem for about 8hrs.

Posted by Haigaz on July 12, 2010 at 3:35 PM (CDT)

Ipod Touch is now is now on the list. My 32GB isn’t even recognised by itunes.

Posted by Chrishra on July 21, 2010 at 7:51 PM (CDT)

I have a conspiracy theory. Apple wants all us classic users to buy new machines, so they designed itunes 9 to ruin our lives. I had a major systems crash and had to do damage control. After the painstaking task of extracting my music off my ipod to put onto my new computer, I download itunes 9.2.1.5 and try to get myself synced back up. Not only has my ipod been wiped clean, but instead of syncing, it just ejects. So luckily my library is still intact on my computer, but my classic is now a very expensive and useless dust collector. I am not in warranty so I can not get tech support unless I pay 29.99 for a pay-per-incident phone call from Apple. FML

Posted by Mandy on July 25, 2010 at 2:09 PM (CDT)

Add me to the iPod Touch 16GB 1st gen list.  Unit stopped working immediately after downloading 9.2.1.5 and during new firmware.  (PC WinXP SP3).

Bricked and refused to be restored.  Moved it to my wife’s iBook and was able to restore to factory specs.  Moving back to my PC, iTunes now sees the unit and begins to sync, then disconnects.

Looking for more web resources and comments on this new problem.  Unit has been problem free for many years.

Posted by fauxscot on July 29, 2010 at 9:39 PM (CDT)

I have similar problem with my 2 year old classic 160 GB. The error practically makes my iPod useless, it crashes every time i want to import music to it!
Since Apple officially was aware of the problem what has happened? Does any one know?

If apple let custumers wait for over a 6 month for a fix - this is the last iPod i will ever buy!

Posted by Thomas V on August 1, 2010 at 4:05 AM (CDT)

I was having trouble with my iPod yesterday, only to find out I needed the newest version of iTunes (I was still using version 8). So I did and my iPod worked fine. But right now my iTunes is not recognising my iPod. I have a 4th gen. iPod nano (8gb).

Posted by String on August 1, 2010 at 4:58 AM (CDT)

I forgot to add that now my iTunes also reinstalls itself every time I start it up.

Posted by String on August 1, 2010 at 5:00 AM (CDT)

I too am experiencing these retarded sync issues, on a Nano Gen 4 16GB under XP. I am a seasoned software engineer, and believe me, this is not rocket science—these are common database issues.  Being a long time Windows developer/user and having become frustrated with the platform, I had been contemplating buying an Apple PC based on my experience with iPods.  I guess I have my answer—why should I pay the Apple “premium” when I will likely wind up with the same level of frustration?  Guess I’ll just stick with the devil I know.

Posted by CodeSmith_42 on August 8, 2010 at 1:13 PM (CDT)

I have Ipod Classic and am experiencing the same problem with syncing my tunes to ipod.  Where is the #$#$^&^ resolution to this problem???????????????

Posted by Suzanne on September 5, 2010 at 6:24 PM (CDT)

I was wary about downloading the new update and had ignored the annoying little pop-up for a good while when something (lack of sleep?) possessed me to click the blasted thing.

Now, when I attempt to sync my iPod Classic, it doesn’t just run through the NEW items…it traipses through the entire freaking library. Each. Blinking. Time.

Irony is, it has repeatedly FAILED to sync more than HALF of my playlists, many of them containing audio books with study material I specifically downloaded for this semester, so I could be listening to it NOW during my commutes. Thanks APPLE…you stink!

Posted by Rachel Pelato on September 10, 2010 at 8:11 PM (CDT)

I’ve owned iPods for years and may just tell Steve to shove it if my 80Gb Classic bombs. I can still sync back to an earlier version on my old PC, but doesn’t that defeat the purpose of “upgrades”? Or is this just another way to force us all iinto buying Macs? I’m out. So now I’m stuck between taking a chance on having no iPod, or using my old PC. Oh, and don’t try calling (and I use the term loosely) support. They know less than I do.

Posted by Steve Dee on October 15, 2010 at 4:17 PM (CDT)

Is this still a problem?
I am going thru the nightmare of trying to figure out why my iPod Classic refuses to sync and has lost music that had been a part of my playlists forever.

Posted by Chris on October 22, 2010 at 2:23 PM (CDT)

I have a 30GB iPod Touch, and I have been having the same problem for the past year with not being able to sync my music without errors.  I have gone through two iTunes updates so far, and the same problem continues to happen with each new update.

Whenever I sync, it always stops on “Syncing Music (Step 3 of 4)” and/or when the “Determining track to sync” occurs.  My calendars, contacts, mail accounts, apps, and photos always sync with no problems whatsoever, but EVERY TIME it gets to the music, I get an error that stops my sync.

Like some of the previous comments, I too have to uncheck the “Sync Music” box, sync my iPod Touch so that no songs are on it, then recheck the “Sync Music” box, and sync again just to add a couple of new songs.  But get this… I get different errors about not recognizing the iPod Touch even when there are no songs on it!?!!

The other thing that I do is turn off the iPod Touch, wait for the Apple logo to come on the screen, and turn my iPod Touch on again.  I also close my iTunes and reopen it.  And then I try to sync.  If I do this about 10 or 20 times, I can set sometimes get my music to sync up without getting the error that I described above in the second paragraph.

So yeah, I would really like Apple to get their act together and fix these problems!!

Posted by Kevin on November 14, 2010 at 7:50 PM (CST)

p.s.  I downloaded and installed iTunes 10.1 a couple of days ago, and I am STILL having the same problems that I described in comment #36 above!?!?!!!  I guess Apple still isn’t bothering to fix these problems… :(

Posted by Kevin on November 14, 2010 at 7:53 PM (CST)

I have an IPOD Classic (First Version) I cannot sync it to my computer.
I get Error -50. Please provide patch.

Posted by JOSE on December 16, 2010 at 11:11 PM (CST)

Itunes wont sync at all with my new ipod. Even after getting lastest itunes updates or restoring to factory settings.

Posted by Tony george on December 19, 2010 at 1:45 PM (CST)

got new ipod 4th generation for BD downloaded new updates for Itunes and immediatley started getting sync errors, had to restore my Ipod 3 times…...decided to try fix from another ipod user and uninstalled mobileme which seems to have issues and now I dont get the error and my Ipod syncs just fine…..not happy with Apples response to these issues at all…. so far though…all is working well.

Posted by robin on January 3, 2011 at 11:15 PM (CST)

Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 >