Apple adds 8GB nano to (PRODUCT) RED list | iLounge News

Apple adds 8GB nano to (PRODUCT) RED list

Following up on last month’s release of the four-Gigabyte iPod nano (PRODUCT) RED Special Edition - the first red iPod, and first iPod with a charitable purpose - Apple Computer today announced the immediate availability of an eight-Gigabyte RED iPod nano for $249. “Customer response to the iPod nano (PRODUCT) RED Special Edition has been off the charts,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing. “We’re thrilled to add a second model with 8GB of capacity, enough for 2,000 songs, so customers have yet another choice in supporting this important cause.”

Identical to the prior version except for storage capacity, the new nano brings the number of 8GB color options to two - black or red - and still contributes a total of $10 from the purchase price to the Global Fund to fight AIDS in Africa. The 8GB iPod nano (PRODUCT) Red is available from the online Apple Store today, and will be in retail Apple Stores this weekend.

« XtremeMac introduces AirPlay Boost nano, 5G FM transmitters

iFixit posts iPod shuffle 2G disassembly photos »

Comments

If I hadn’t already bought the 4GB nano in red, I’d probably pick up this new 8GB model.  Oh well, at least now there is another choice other than just black, so that is good.  I’m sure both will sell quite well for the holidays.

Posted by SJR on November 3, 2006 at 8:04 AM (PDT)

I guess you’d have to specifically want a nano to buy one at this price when the 30GB Video iPods start at the $250 too.

Posted by Matt on November 3, 2006 at 9:48 AM (PDT)

Matt: there’s only so much shock and abuse a hard drive can be subjected to. With DAPs like the 8GB nano or Sandisk you do sacrifice storage cap, but gained are the benefits of flash memory, particularly if you enjoy using a DAP during physical activity.

Posted by flatline response on November 3, 2006 at 1:32 PM (PDT)

When are we going to see a Red 30/80 gig?

Posted by andrew Chasnoff on November 3, 2006 at 3:07 PM (PDT)

Gah, Apple you tease! I had pretty much decided to get a black 8GB Nano, but now that I see you’re willing to make it in other colors I’m going to wait a little while longer. Come on blue!

Posted by rainking187 on November 3, 2006 at 4:13 PM (PDT)

Gah!  They had to bring out a 8 gb model after I bought this 4 gb red one…

Trying to decide if paying $70 (apple store restock fee plus the $50 more of the 8 gb) is worth being able to have all my CDs on it with room for the future, instead of just 75-80 percent of them…

Posted by Brian English on November 3, 2006 at 4:52 PM (PDT)

I wonder if the 8GB one is full red (like the black one is all black, incl. the top & bottom)... if it is, then I already know which one I’ll pick up when I’m in HK XD.

Posted by Kiks on November 4, 2006 at 6:14 AM (PDT)

It looks like the top and bottom is white by all the pics I’ve seen, but that may be the 4gb versions still.  Anyone else know if the 8GB Red has all red on top and bottom too?  Look sharp?

Posted by Ken on November 4, 2006 at 9:21 AM (PDT)

agreed - if Apple ever bring out a red 5G or even someplace down the line the 6G is available in Red then I am so much all over that thing its unbelievable… if only someone would make a decent red anodized case for the 5G then I wouldn’t have to make do with this boring black… are you listening Core smile

Posted by NJO on November 4, 2006 at 10:26 AM (PDT)

I’m so disloyal…

I just swapped my 4gb Red Nano for the 8gb model.  It looks identical to the 4bg one - the top and bottom are still white.

Posted by Brian English on November 4, 2006 at 1:19 PM (PDT)

hope they release a red version for ‘all’ current models to suit everyone’s budget. besides there will be more contributions to Project Red this way especially this Christmas. btw a red 2g shuffle will look extremely cool.

Posted by macphisto on November 5, 2006 at 8:22 PM (PDT)

Hey, here’s an idea for Apple - donate 10 bucks to the charity for any iPod purchased, not just red nanos.

Posted by SteveJ on November 7, 2006 at 10:42 AM (PDT)