Apple adds iPhone iPod Hi-Fi Tone Control support | iLounge News

Apple adds iPhone iPod Hi-Fi Tone Control support

image

Along with documented security and Safari bug patches, and several undocumented but user-discovered changes to other applications, Apple has updated the iPhone’s software in version 1.0.1 to enhance iPod accessory compatibility. When docked in an iPod Hi-Fi speaker system, an iPod Hi-Fi menu now appears under Settings, enabling the iPhone to access the same Treble Boost and Bass Boost “Tone Control” settings found on iPods and iPod nanos. This feature, originally designed to simplify iPod Hi-Fi sound tweaks through an additional main menu option, has remained unavailable to third-party developers since Hi-Fi’s release.

Additionally, The Wall Street Journal’s Walt Mossberg claims in his blog that, following the 1.0.1 update, the “iPhone can now play music through many previously incompatible car adapters and other external speakers originally designed for the iPod.” Though iLounge’s editors have had no success getting iPhone to work properly with their favorite car adapters, we would be interested in hearing new reader experiences based on version 1.0.1. Please let us know what you’ve discovered, pro or con.

image

« Blue Raven intros Maestro 1070 iPod speaker system

Mix: PDO, Paper clip, Nike+, John »

Comments

Does this menu only appear when the iphone is connected to an iPod HiFi? Because I don’t see the menu in my undocked 1.01 phone and I don’t yet have a speaker to test it with.

Posted by Scott on August 4, 2007 at 11:49 AM (PDT)

This is great news about iPod Hi-Fi support.

The 1.0.1 Update did fix an issue with my iPhone not sending audio out through a Monster iCar Charger (with line out). It didn’t work before, and now it works great (though I still get the Airplane Mode warning).

Posted by akben on August 4, 2007 at 12:05 PM (PDT)

I can confirm that, following the firmware upgrade, my iPhone now works with Monster’s FM radio transmitter. Prior to 1.0.1 it would only charge, but would not transmit music. Keep’em coming Apple!!

Posted by MirrorMan on August 4, 2007 at 12:22 PM (PDT)

My iPhone now works with the Belkin Auto Kit for iPod /w Dock Connector. It used to only charge. Now I get audio out of the kit as well. This was one of my biggest disappointments with the device, and now it’s fixed. Awesome.

Posted by StrikerObi in Tallahassee, FL on August 4, 2007 at 12:43 PM (PDT)

My Belkin Auto Kit worked before the update. You had to select iPod first, then connect. If if it still did not work, then I started a song first, then connected. Now the only issue I have with it, is I don’t really believe it’s charging. Connect it when you are low on battery life, and you’ll get the low battery warnings- 20%, 15%, 10% etc.

Posted by cydeweyz on August 4, 2007 at 12:57 PM (PDT)

My iPhone worked with my Belkin adaptor from day one. When I plugged it in I was prompted to turn on the airplane mode which might cause interference with the sound. But it didn’t matter because there was no interference.

However, I do not see the iPod Hi Fi selection in the settings folder. What’s with that?

Posted by Thomas on August 4, 2007 at 1:09 PM (PDT)

Does anyone know if the iPhone will work with an external speaker system? I have a Logitech mm50 system that I really love - would be great if it worked with an iPhone.

Posted by Paul Smith on August 4, 2007 at 1:44 PM (PDT)

My iPhone has worked since day one with both my Altec Lansing iMmini and Belkin Auto Kit.  I get the warning on both saying they aren’t compatible, but I put the iPhone into Airplane Mode and it plays and works just fine.

Posted by lancetx on August 4, 2007 at 2:45 PM (PDT)

We’re still at least 5 months away from the iPhone here in Australia.
Am I going to have to crossgrade my Alpine KCA-420i to something more pedestrian?
Also, do external speakers work as a speakerphone dock for phone-calls, or would I still need a bluetooth Car Kit?

Posted by Salvo.Dan on August 4, 2007 at 3:30 PM (PDT)

My Belkin Auto Kit did not work. It’s an old(er) white one (who many said did work, but I could not get to play through line out, even after starting a song and plugging (and replugging)). After the 1.0.1 update, it definitely works. I’m thrilled.

Posted by MChang on August 4, 2007 at 5:31 PM (PDT)

I actually forgot all about the Apple iPod Hi-Fi. I thought it was like the ROKR E1, a somewhat dissapointing product that will ultimately have a short shelf life. Anyway, nice to see Apple still supports the Hi-Fi. If the iPhone works, then I would guess any new iPod/iPod nano will, as well.

Posted by Joseph Mostarda on August 4, 2007 at 5:57 PM (PDT)

I can confirm that my black Belkin Car adapter now works!!!!! I am so thrilled. I now can live the one iPod .... er ... iPhone dream.

The Belkin I am using is the one that has a 30pin connector on one end and a cigarette power adapter on the other. On the power adapter side there is a mini-jack out that I plug into my cars mini jack in the glove box.

Posted by Egan Schulz on August 4, 2007 at 11:27 PM (PDT)

I have got the latest update and the Hi-Fi and this option does not appear under my settings when the iPhone is docked (in airplane or not in airplane mode).  Not sure what the problem is but it is not available for me.

Posted by Gregory Scheiwiller on August 5, 2007 at 6:15 AM (PDT)

My iPhone works with my Griffin AirClick remote, also works with my ABT PowerJet auto charger which has an older version of an Airckick remote connected to the top of the unit. Both work perfectly and with the the Shure headphone adapter I can use my cassette adapter and make and receive calls on my iPhone and have all audio come through the car stereo speakers. Even my Sendstation Dock Adapters work! If you have older iPod accessories, try them before going out to buy iPhone specific ones because they will probably work with the iPhone. When you plug the old accessory in and iPhone askks you if you’d like to use airplane mode, just choose NO, and it should still work the same.

Posted by Tenchi211 in California on August 5, 2007 at 9:23 AM (PDT)

My iPhone now works with my Alpine car stereo via the iPod cable connect.

Posted by Mantelli on August 5, 2007 at 12:17 PM (PDT)

My iPhone now outputs music audio through my Flexible Dock car charger/audio out combo device—before it only charged.

Posted by kingbee on August 5, 2007 at 11:23 PM (PDT)

doesn’t appear on my iPhone when docked to my apple high.

Posted by me on August 6, 2007 at 3:37 AM (PDT)

Actually, this functionality was present in V1.0 of the software. I always got the tone controls on my HiFi with my IPhone.

Posted by Controller on August 6, 2007 at 6:05 AM (PDT)

The MacAlly FMCup will indeed allow the iPhone to play through the car radio but the occasional high-burst feedback will pop up unless the Airplane Mode is engaged. A nice solution but if I can’t use the iPhone to receive calls and listen to my music uninterrupted, then it’s back to the store it goes.

Posted by D9 on August 7, 2007 at 7:26 AM (PDT)

I have a Kensington FM sending unit/charger that works with my iPhone.  Of course the unit asks you if you want to turn on Airplane mode for proper operation.  The unit works in either mode, so I can still use the phone.  This works great along with my Apple Bluetooth Headset.

Posted by bhj1 on August 9, 2007 at 12:02 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >