Apple adds iPhone sensor, dock, YouTube details to site | iLounge News

Apple adds iPhone sensor, dock, YouTube details to site

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2007
News Categories: iPhone

In a series of updates to the Apple.com website, Apple has added additional details about several iPhone features, including the device’s YouTube browser, sensors, and Dock. A QuickTour video clip of the YouTube browser shows a decidedly different interface on iPhone from the one released this morning for Apple TV, with the ability to bookmark and e-mail YouTube clips directly from the Now Playing screen. A full Bookmarks screen full of previously saved YouTube clips can be seen, and each video can be selected to view an expanded text description, related videos, and a simple “Share” button. Apple has also added a demonstration of the device’s Accelerometer sensor, which tracks the phone’s rotation from horizontal to vertical display modes, to a previous video of the device’s Proximity sensor, which turns the phone’s touch controls off when it approaches your face.

New shots of the iPhone Dock, previously announced in January, have also materialized in the iPhone Gallery, depicting the unusually shaped charging station’s side and 3/4 front profiles. Selected images from the new iPhone pages can be seen below.

« Verizon CEO: We will benefit from iPhone

EMI sees ‘good’ results from iTunes Plus »

Comments

Very cool.

I wonder if the new dock will only be for the iPhone or will it be the next generation dock for future iPods as well. I also wonder if the dock will be packaged with the iPhone or whether that’s going to be an accessory.

The new dock doesn’t appear to have the remote sensor that the current universal dock has. Since there are no shots of the dock’s rear, I can’t tell if there’s audio or video output.

Posted by cxc273 on June 20, 2007 at 10:53 AM (PDT)

looks like the iphone dock is wireless.. I guess it uses bluetooth?

Posted by rishio on June 20, 2007 at 2:24 PM (PDT)

The dock doesn’t need wireless capabilities because the iPhone has them built in!

Posted by AltiVec on June 20, 2007 at 2:45 PM (PDT)

woops.. I think I was sleepy when I wrote that..lol

Posted by rishio on June 20, 2007 at 3:34 PM (PDT)

yea but the wifi functionality cant sync with itunes so u have to use a usb cable.

Posted by dha on June 20, 2007 at 3:42 PM (PDT)

Uh, I’m pretty sure they were talking about the iPhone’s bluetooth capabilities…

USB cable to charge, and bluetooth to sync, pretty damn convenient.

Posted by Nobody on June 20, 2007 at 5:42 PM (PDT)

Is it just me or does the back of the iPhone look like it might have a replaceable battery.  I don’t recall previous shots of the back showing evidence of a replaceable battery.

Posted by Jared on June 20, 2007 at 6:33 PM (PDT)

That’s very cooooooool!!

Posted by iMichael on June 20, 2007 at 7:36 PM (PDT)

I am sure the iPhone can sync over bluetooth and the cable of the dock was simply hidden in the photo.
I can’t wait.

Posted by wickedsteve on June 20, 2007 at 7:56 PM (PDT)