Apple adds Nokia N97 mini to antenna page | iLounge News

Apple adds Nokia N97 mini to antenna page

image

Following a response from Nokia on Apple’s claims that signal attenuation is a problem for all smartphones, Apple has added a section covering the Nokia N97 mini to its smartphone antenna performance page. “Nokia has invested thousands of man hours in studying how people hold their phones and allows for this in designs, for example by having antennas both at the top and bottom of the phone and by careful selection of materials and their use in the mechanical design,” Nokia said in a statement. Apple’s antenna performance page, posted last Friday after Apple’s iPhone 4 press conference, originally compared the performance of the iPhone 4 to the BlackBerry Bold, HTC Droid Eris, Samsung Omnia II, and iPhone 3GS, and led to a similar response from BlackBerry-maker RIM’s co-CEOs Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie.

« Miniot unveils iWood 4 for iPhone 4

China Telecom hoping to land iPhone, iPad deals »

Comments

It’s one thing to take a dig at other companies through comments, but posting details like this about competitor products on your own company website is going too far.

I have been a reasonably happy Apple supporter for a few years - to the extent that I didn’t even look at the competition (a position I imagine many Apple fans are in) - yet the attitude of late has somewhat soured the relationship to the point where I actually tried another device (which was far better than expected) I have jumped ship and am happier than ever!

I think it’s instances like this that Apple need to be aware of. Most people wont even look at the competition, yet those that do may find that the quality of the competition has progressed at an alarming rate.

Posted by Mike on July 21, 2010 at 9:10 AM (PDT)

While all smart phones suffer from some signal attenuation when held a certain way, Apple is the one that made this worse by putting the antennas on the outside, choosing aesthetics over function. They then turned around and say “what problem?”.

Remember not so long ago that Intel had to recall all their Pentium chips due to a flaw in the FPU, even though only “a small number of users” would actually be affected by it. Users were outraged at Intel’s arrogance, and they eventually relented. Does anyone else see similarity here?

Not so smart engineering, in my opinion.

Posted by K. W. Wong on July 21, 2010 at 9:56 AM (PDT)

If you don’t like it don’t buy it. If don’t like it return it. What do you guys need to complaint? If you want to complaint you should have the phone. If you have the phone and keep complaint it, why not return it?

Posted by I.C. on July 21, 2010 at 11:11 AM (PDT)

Another important note here is that the numbers of bars LOWERS, it’s not like the calls on the Nokia drops. And for I.C.: I don’t think it’s that simple. No matter how Apple spin this, it’s a clear design flaw.

Posted by Roar on July 21, 2010 at 4:30 PM (PDT)

Dear I.C. I am not complaining. I am just making an observation. Can I not make an observation? I don’t think it is the forum’s policy to only post comments that are favourable to Apple. For the record, I do not own an iPhone, nor do I intend to get one. I do, however, own two iPods, including an iPod touch. I will probably keep buying iPods because they do what they do very well.

Apple touts its technologies as superior to other vendors, whether it is computers, music players, OS, or phones. If they are going to do that, then they had better be prepared to have their superior technologies scrutinised under a microscope. In this case, their preference for aesthetics introduced a defect that was otherwise completely avoidable. Other smart phone don’t have external antennas, or have antennas that are so close together, that “normal usage” could have degraded the performance. “Just don’t hold it that way” is no solution; it forces users to be mindful of how they handle the device, when there should have been no need for this consideration. How is Apple going to learn anything if their users just quit complaining?

To state that other vendors’ phones have similar problems, show the world nothing but how small Apple really is. Apple had always wanted to demonstrate how much better their products were. Instead, they proved that they were just like all the others.

Apple is not perfect, and no one expects Apple to be perfect. Learn from your mistakes, admit them, fix them, and move on. And maybe, they won’t make the same mistake on future models of iPods, which I may very well want to buy.

Have a good day.

Posted by K. W. Wong on July 21, 2010 at 5:35 PM (PDT)

Well, in a food fight if you get pie thrown upon you I guess it’s OK to start throwing pie upon others too.

Posted by rockmyplimsoul on July 21, 2010 at 6:36 PM (PDT)

The point they are making is not that these phones are bad, it’s that they are the same, because that’s the limits of the technology now.  Yes, they are dropping bars, but that doesn’t mean they are dropping calls, but that also goes for the iPhone 4.

You have companies taking jabs saying that their phone can be held any way you like, however they then have manuals that tell you how to hold the phone. That’s just ridiculous.

Posted by Tom on July 21, 2010 at 10:20 PM (PDT)