Apple adds private iTunes Store pages, displaying odd new touch device icon [updated]
In addition to unveiling the App Store, a section of the iTunes Store devoted to selling software for iPhones and iPod touches, Apple today announced that it would enable selected developers to create their own private pages on the App Store to distribute content to a limited audience, rather than the entirety of the Apple customer base. Developers interested in creating their own App Store pages must register for the iPhone’s $299 Enterprise Program, rather than its standard $99 program.
iLounge Editor Jesse Hollington notes that private pages have already started to appear on the iTunes Store for limited distribution of standard media, such as unprotected audio and video, as shown in the screenshot above. These pages can be university- or company-specific, providing educational or other types of materials, and are not visible to the general iTunes user population. In the Education First Educational Tours example here, a user registered with an international travel tour is provided access to TourCast audio and video tracks through the iTunes U section of the iTunes Store. Unusually, the private page features an image of a touchscreen iPod/iPhone-style device with curves and a Home button-pressing dock never seen before; it is unclear whether this is meant to generically suggest iPod and iPhone compatibility, or represents a yet-to-be-announced Apple product.
Update: An Education First designer has responded in the comments to say that the mysterious device shown above was actually the result of image editing, and does not depict any current or future Apple product.
- Apple issues workaround for Messages text string bug
- Apple acquires Metaio, an augmented reality company
- Apple stuck with court-appointed antitrust monitor
- Apple to unveil rewards system for Apple Pay
- GM bringing CarPlay to 14 of its 2016 Chevy models
- Upcoming kit will allow developers to build native Apple Watch apps
- Apple may debut new ‘Proactive’ assistant with iOS 9
- Google Search will soon surface content from iOS apps
- iOS bug allows peculiar string of characters in Messages to reboot iPhones
- iOS 9 Transit feature to launch in select cities
- Spigen Apple Watch Stand S330
- Griffin WatchStand for Apple Watch
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?