Apple adds private iTunes Store pages, displaying odd new touch device icon [updated]
In addition to unveiling the App Store, a section of the iTunes Store devoted to selling software for iPhones and iPod touches, Apple today announced that it would enable selected developers to create their own private pages on the App Store to distribute content to a limited audience, rather than the entirety of the Apple customer base. Developers interested in creating their own App Store pages must register for the iPhone’s $299 Enterprise Program, rather than its standard $99 program.
iLounge Editor Jesse Hollington notes that private pages have already started to appear on the iTunes Store for limited distribution of standard media, such as unprotected audio and video, as shown in the screenshot above. These pages can be university- or company-specific, providing educational or other types of materials, and are not visible to the general iTunes user population. In the Education First Educational Tours example here, a user registered with an international travel tour is provided access to TourCast audio and video tracks through the iTunes U section of the iTunes Store. Unusually, the private page features an image of a touchscreen iPod/iPhone-style device with curves and a Home button-pressing dock never seen before; it is unclear whether this is meant to generically suggest iPod and iPhone compatibility, or represents a yet-to-be-announced Apple product.
Update: An Education First designer has responded in the comments to say that the mysterious device shown above was actually the result of image editing, and does not depict any current or future Apple product.
- Report: New 12.9” iPad will feature Force Touch, Bluetooth stylus, NFC
- Apple asking music labels to kill Spotify’s free streaming tier
- Apple updates support article confirming Apple Watch tattoo issue
- Apple reportedly hires four more producers from BBC Radio 1
- Limited Apple Watch supplies due to faulty taptic engine?
- Twitter CEO hints at larger Spotlight integration
- Problem with iPad app grounds American Airlines flights
- Apple rejects Apple Watch apps that just tell time, requires independent approval for certain health apps
- Users with arm tattoos report problems with Apple Watch sensors
- China outpaces U.S. in iPhone sales for first time
- Uniq Transforma for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Skech SkechBook for iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Yurbuds Liberty Wireless Earphones
- Apple Watch
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?