Apple adds TV Shows to UK iTunes Store | iLounge News

Apple adds TV Shows to UK iTunes Store

Almost two years after the introduction of TV show content to what was then called the iTunes Music Store, Apple today added a collection of downloadable shows to the United Kingdom’s iTunes Store. Found under a new “TV Programmes” heading, the shows are priced at £1.89 each, and include offerings from ABC/Disney, Viacom’s Nickelodeon and MTV, and Paramount, such as Grey’s Anatomy, Lost, South Park, Desperate Housewives, Ugly Betty, Disney’s Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, and That 70’s Show. [Thanks, Jasper!]

image

« Belkin cases continue support of breast cancer research

Apple announces Sept. 5 Special Event »

Comments

Looks like they’re gearing us up for a fullscreen video iPod to play the videos on!

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on August 28, 2007 at 7:47 PM (CDT)

Congrats UK! It gives we Antipodeans some hope for our own video availability.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on August 28, 2007 at 10:53 PM (CDT)

TV shows do appear in the Belgian iTunes store, but only on some sites and the link doesn’t work.
It only says “Select Medium”.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on August 29, 2007 at 3:42 AM (CDT)

A pretty underwhelming US centric selection of shows that are cheaper to buy on DVD. They really need to get the shows under £1 per episode. It may be worth using occasionally to check out a pilot episode before ordering from Amazon etc.

Verdict: C - must try harder.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on August 29, 2007 at 4:55 AM (CDT)

Still no TV shows or movies for the Canadian store. What gives?

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on August 29, 2007 at 9:09 AM (CDT)

I am happy to see the addition of some TV stuff here in the UK.
For me its not a case of whether its cheaper than DVD or not, its more about the convenience.
The thought of buying something like ‘Lost’ on DVD and copying them all to iTunes does not excite me, being able to download them suits me much better.
Lets hope more series and movies follow.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on August 29, 2007 at 12:37 PM (CDT)

As already mentioned, a somewhat poor range of US shows is available to us UK buyers. Why?

I tried to download a pilot episode of one show and the download froze with an indication that the files were corrupt. I contacted Apple and was given a credit for another video (and I can only use it to purchase another video - why?) with the advice that I should not attempt to download the pilot episode again for about 2 weeks.

Two weeks?

What gives?

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on August 29, 2007 at 5:54 PM (CDT)

.......Canada is still waiting. Get with it apple. I’m sure they have enough employees that they can get a few to set up all the appropriate things to get us some shows.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on August 29, 2007 at 6:31 PM (CDT)

Don’t blame Apple for the selection. It will be the copyright holders, every time. I find it significant that it’s only TV shows, not movies as well. Remember that this is how it started on the US store. At least it’s not just ABC shows.

For a round-up of how UK TV affects Apple TV, read my blog post on the subject.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on August 29, 2007 at 7:19 PM (CDT)

Just downloaded Commander in Chief pilot. I had no problems and it played well on macbook. A little bit pricey but very convenient. I personally feel it is also better than having lots dvds. Will persuade me to get an Apple TV?

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on August 30, 2007 at 5:48 PM (CDT)

What about UK TV programmes for UK viewers - especially BBC programmes and series?

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on December 26, 2007 at 4:27 PM (CST)