Apple aggressively pushes iPhone Software 2.0.2 update | iLounge News

Apple aggressively pushes iPhone Software 2.0.2 update

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, August 22, 2008
News Categories: iPhone

Substantially breaking with prior tradition, which saw little publicity for point releases of its software, Apple has today taken active steps to promote version 2.0.2 iPhone Software, posting a new web page dedicated to the recent iPhone Software 2.0.2 update, an iTunes Store link, and a SMS text message to notify users of the release. The web page offers step-by-step instructions on how to update an iPhone to the most recent software, accompanied by related screenshots, while the text message reads: “An important software update for iPhone 3G has been available on iTunes since this past Monday. To get it, simply synch your iPhone 3G with iTunes and click the ‘Check For Update’ button.” It is unclear whether the announcements are related to an MSNBC article from earlier this week calling for better notification of iPhone and iPod touch software updates, or whether they are a response to legal threats relating to poor iPhone 3G performance, which Apple claims that the 2.0.2 software fixes.

« iLounge announces iDuo Dock Giveaway

iPodweek on its way, still time to sign up »

Comments

I don’t know what apple considers Step-by-Step but… Steps 1 & 2 are missing. Is apple that frantic to get this out that they did not even notice this.

Posted by victor on August 22, 2008 at 1:19 PM (PDT)

On the AT&T;forum regarding iPhones/Apple products one of the moderators has posted a thread encouraging users to download the update.  No doubt Apple has asked AT&T;to post this.

Posted by Jorge on August 22, 2008 at 2:16 PM (PDT)

Yet the page doesn’t clarify what does the 2.0.2 update corrects… in fact it doesn’t even mention the usual boring “bug fixes” description.

Posted by Korpil on August 22, 2008 at 2:36 PM (PDT)

one thing i noticed with this update was that I can no longer avoid not syncing my apps. In the past I could just tell iTunes to not sync my apps and any old apps that I had on my iPhone before would stay there. Perfect if you wanted to share your apps (even paid apps) I would sync up my friend’s apps and then sync up my other stuff on my iPhone. Can’t do that anymore.

Posted by frankly on August 22, 2008 at 4:10 PM (PDT)

They’re probably pushing this software update because it hasn’t been jailbroken yet. If people use this software update they don’t have to worry about dealing with jailbroken ipods.

Posted by Mogey16816 on August 22, 2008 at 4:24 PM (PDT)

Using QuickPwn (I think that’s what it’s called), it’s pretty easy to Jailbreak iPhone 2.0.2 software.

Also, I never got the SMS message about the software. I’m using AT&T;.

Posted by Muero on August 22, 2008 at 7:07 PM (PDT)

I got this SMS telling me to update, even though I updated to 2.0.2 the first day it was available.  Anybody else had that issue?  I went into my settings and confirmed that it is indeed on 2.0.2

Posted by Strack on August 23, 2008 at 12:08 PM (PDT)

Yes everyone gets the message regardless of whether you updated or not.  I am the same, I just got the message today :S   Seems Apple/AT&T;are really far behind.  Five days late!

Posted by Jorge on August 23, 2008 at 12:42 PM (PDT)

I got this message, and found it rather intrusive. I don’t appreciate being harassed by equipment makers or communication providers, especially when I had updated already. I didn’t sign up to receive such updates (and yes I know the message was free, that’s not the point). Put a message on your website if you want, but DO NOT push anything to me that I haven’t asked for. If that ping sound goes off I think it’s something IMPORTANT. This was NOT important.

Posted by Buran on August 24, 2008 at 12:59 AM (PDT)

^^ To the guy above aka Mr. Important. GET OVER YOURSELF!

It was one text message. You are hardly being bombarded. You use of the word “harassed” is an insult to the English dictionary. The reason you got the message is probably because it is in your best intentions to upgrade.

You are the type of “important” person who would also complain if you DIDNT get this message…

Posted by Dave Jones on August 24, 2008 at 1:35 PM (PDT)

I didn’t get the message.  Does anyone know why that would be?

Posted by stevo on August 24, 2008 at 5:16 PM (PDT)

Who knows.  I didn’t get it until Saturday when the update was out Monday.  Maybe you’ll get it sometime next week.  Or next month lol.

Posted by Nessa on August 24, 2008 at 5:40 PM (PDT)

I did get the text message just yesterday, but I haven’t updated to 2.0.2. I haven’t been having any of the problems with my iPhone 3G that have garnered such attention in the last couple of weeks, and, given that some have complained of the update making their problems worse, I’m fearful of INTRODUCING problems where I don’t presently have any to fix.

Is there any real reason to upgrade, absent any noticeable problems?

I suppose I’ll upgrade to the next big point upgrade, assuming it introduces significant new functionality, but for now I’ll hold off.

Posted by Robert1014 on August 24, 2008 at 6:37 PM (PDT)

These first few seem to be bug fixes.  I would check to see what each update is before you download and install it, and if its just bug fixes and your iPhone is working fine then perhaps wait for 2.1.  That’s probably what I’m going to do.

Posted by Alex on August 24, 2008 at 7:02 PM (PDT)

Apple is full of it if they are claiming 2.02 fixes 3G reception problems. Mine is as crappy as ever with 2.02 but if I turn off 3G i get full bars in my house compared to a flatline with 3G turned on (and calling from my house in 3G is pointless, no one can hear me from the bad reception)

Here’s hoping 2.03 (or 2.1) fixes it asap.

Posted by MXV on August 24, 2008 at 7:08 PM (PDT)

Well some people have claimed the update fixed their reception problems.  But others are in your boat.  So as usual its a mixed reaction.

Posted by Alex on August 24, 2008 at 7:24 PM (PDT)

It’s safe now to say that the iphone 3G is a failed product and Apple need to stop shipping them.

Posted by Jackk on August 25, 2008 at 2:34 AM (PDT)

It is?  They do?

umm…. Okay…

Posted by Enigmafan420 on August 25, 2008 at 3:14 PM (PDT)

Not dropping calls as much with 2.0.2.

Glad they didn’t send a MMS to inform people about the update.

Maybe 2.1 will include MMS and a video camera. Sigh.

Less than a week left before my option to return runs out and I find myself missing some Really. Basic. Stuff. from my old phones that this thing is supposed to replace.

Posted by BrianM on August 26, 2008 at 1:47 PM (PDT)

What I often wonder is, why doesn’t anyone ever complain about how honking huge the iPhone is. I mean, I know their are plently of jumbo-sized smartphones out there, but there are also plenty of pint sized ones (mostly palm and symbian-based devices). My co-worker has an iPhone 3G and I’m quite happy to say he lets me play with it whenever I ask (and btw he is the “Zollo” in zolletech.com). It really is a fantastic media device (though he’s also mentioned the bugs).

Ironically though, the one area I think it’s lacking in is the “phone” one. Considering it’s 2008, you would expect things to be getting more pocketable, not less so…. the iPhone 3G is downright ginormous. On the flipside, I’ve also played around with the Ipod Touch, which does everything the iPhone does minus the phone (and of course, 3G data & GPS). To me the iTouch hits the sweet spot for size/price/performance (after all, combined with AIM IM and Safari, it’s not a bad communications device).

I’m sure future iPhone revisions will scale down the size (chip fabs get smaller year by year) until it rivals the iTouch for pocketability. Then, and only then, might the iPhone be an impulse buy for me. For now, it’s size and prohibitive cost (AT&T;+ iPhone + Exclusivity = Satan) are just too much for me to take the plunge.

P.S. - My source at Zollotech.com tells me that SlingMedia is releasing a Slingbox player for the iPhone any day now… MUST… NOT… GIVE… INNNN…

Posted by Alan on August 28, 2008 at 1:29 AM (PDT)