Apple announces 160GB Apple TV, YouTube deal | iLounge News

Apple announces 160GB Apple TV, YouTube deal

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, May 30, 2007
News Categories: Apple TV

image

Immediately after Apple CEO Steve Jobs’ demonstration of an Apple TV running YouTube videos at the All Things Digital Conference in Carlsbad, California, Apple formally announced the partnership via press release, along with an updated 160GB hard disk-ready version of Apple TV for a price of $399. The 160GB version of Apple TV will store up to 200 hours of video, 36,000 songs, 25,000 photos, or a combination thereof, promising four times the capacity of the original Apple TV at a $100 premium.

According to Apple, the 160GB Apple TV will be available as a “build-to-order option” from the Apple Store tomorrow, while the YouTube feature for Apple TV will be available as a free software update in mid-June. YouTube will initially offer thousands of its top videos through Apple TV, with the full catalog becoming available “this fall.” Users will be able to log into their YouTube accounts through Apple TV to view and save their favorite videos.

image

« Apple exec details 160GB Apple TV, YouTube H.264 deal

Jobs details at All Things Digital Conference: Apple TV + YouTube »

Comments

I’d rather have dailymotion, with it’s vaguely passable video quality.  Youtube looks rubbish enough on my laptop screen thanks.

Posted by _Ethan on May 30, 2007 at 1:48 PM (PDT)

I watch YouTube already on my TV with my Wii.

Posted by uphillslide on May 30, 2007 at 1:56 PM (PDT)

Still waiting on the Tivo clone abilities. Big HD is a start.

Posted by uphillslide on May 30, 2007 at 1:57 PM (PDT)

I have to say I’m pissed that Apple updated this so soon. I don’t know if I can afford to change at the moment.

Posted by Japester on May 30, 2007 at 2:51 PM (PDT)

I agree that it was a pretty botched launch to have launched a 40 GB version in March and now a 160 GB version now for $100 more.  I bought one about 1 month ago and I am considering returning it now.  To me the more logical thing would be to have have launched an 80 GB version in March or both the 40 and 160 GB versions in March.

Posted by Jeremy on May 30, 2007 at 4:18 PM (PDT)

I guess in this case, it definitely did not pay to be an early adapter (adopter?). I’m now glad that I procrastinated getting my Apple TV.

I too scoff at the quality of a YouTube video on on HDTV, but I would think this would provide more incentive to provide higher quality videos on YouTube and other online video services. YouTube previously had little incentive to upgrade. Maybe now they have more incentive.

Posted by Jason Martin on May 30, 2007 at 7:26 PM (PDT)

These YouTube videos will not be the grainy ones you see on your computer. They will be in QuickTime format and higher quality. That’s why YouTube is offering only a limited number at first. Keep in mind that you cannot even upload a Flash video to YouTube. Instead, YouTube itself creates the grainy Flash version. Many people upload their videos in a high-quality format (I upload mine in MPEG-4). For this service, YouTube can simply revert to the original upload and create an AppleTV version from that file. I suspect serious filmmakers will now upload their videos to YouTube in an AppleTV-ready format.

Posted by technolawyer on June 1, 2007 at 1:44 PM (PDT)

I don’t actually need a 160GB hard drive, since I have an always-on back-end computer anyway.  However, considering I only bought my second tv last Saturday, I’m going to grab a 160GB version merely because I’m in within the return period on the second box anyway.

However, in my case I sync my content only for the purpose of providing a manageable subset of the shows and/or movies that I’m currently following as opposed to having to scroll through my entire 1TB+ library.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on June 1, 2007 at 4:30 PM (PDT)