Apple announces iPod Socks | iLounge News

Apple announces iPod Socks

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, October 26, 2004
News Categories: iPod Accessories

picThe first new item Apple CEO, Steve Jobs introduced to the audience attending the Apple|U2 Music Event was a “revolutionary” new product for the iPod. iPod Socks is a boxed collection of carrying cases for iPods. Each box includes six colors; green, blue, grey, orange, pink, and aqua. iPod Socks will be available in mid-November for $29.

« Griffin announces iTrip Black for U2 iPod

Mac|Windows: iTunes 4.7 released »

Comments

What?! No Argyle?!

I may be crazy about my iPod, but I’m not crazy enough to pay 30 bucks for three pairs of socks! I can go to Target and get a few dozen socks as well as a needle and thread to de-foot them for that kind of money.

Honestly, if you went out and got a 60 gig photo iPod, would you really want to cover up the screen with a hot pink sweat sock? Not likely.

I’ll wait for the iPod jockstrap.

See ya
Steve

Posted by Stephen Worth on October 26, 2004 at 1:48 PM (PDT)

rofl…nice one steven.  the “socks” look pretty dumb imo…

Posted by wes on October 26, 2004 at 2:36 PM (PDT)

I think these iPod socks look cool. It’s a cool concept and I’d like to get a box of these… however I don’t agree with the pricing and I can’t say that this is “revolutionary.” We’ll have to see.

Posted by Moose on October 26, 2004 at 2:47 PM (PDT)

If Apple can sell them, then good for them… but this has to be the funniest thing I have seen from Apple in a LONG time :D

From a practical perspective… I was actually thinking I wanted a sack to protect my future iPod in my pocket or bag. But I would NOT want to be forced into buying the whole set of colors.

On the flip side…. that’s JUST what my feet are shaped like!!! Finally a sock for me!

Posted by Nagromme on October 26, 2004 at 5:50 PM (PDT)

There are 6 socks in a pack.

Posted by me on October 26, 2004 at 6:48 PM (PDT)

looks to me that these will be more of a fashion statement ala gucci ipod bag than a truly popular highly applicable ipod case such as an iskin evo or ipod armor.

Posted by StinkieDMB in Pittsburgh, PA on October 26, 2004 at 7:27 PM (PDT)

Socks?  Really? Wow… I wish I would have thought to put my iPod in a SOCK a LONG TIME AGO.  What the freak! Theres absolutely no practical use out of these except what already exists for protective cases.  Im getting one!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Ted on October 26, 2004 at 7:29 PM (PDT)

Am I the only one that thinks the “revolutionary” socks are simply a skit? Hey, if Apple actually ships these socks and people buy them, Apple can sell anything.

Posted by Matt on October 26, 2004 at 7:40 PM (PDT)

Ipod sock, eh?

I’d love to know who gave Steve that idea, or if he came up with it all on his own.

Although I would say, that this would be a much better solution than that crap nylon scratch case they include with every Ipod, which never made any sense.  At least these won’t cause irreparable damage to the finish.  But for what you’re paying for an Ipod, they need to include these socks for free, not make people pay extra.

I could go down and pay $5 for a pair of unique socks that I really like, trim them down and use those.  Beats paying $30 for these, which just isn’t gonna happen.

Posted by Z on October 26, 2004 at 7:45 PM (PDT)

someone on the forum did this a long time ago

Posted by troy on October 26, 2004 at 8:17 PM (PDT)

Just wait, soon we’ll have Burberry iPod ‘socks’. That’ll give chavs an excuse to go out and steal an iPod!

Posted by Nick on October 26, 2004 at 10:51 PM (PDT)

I knew we had to set our clocks back this weekend, but I didn’t realize we had to set our calendar back to April 1.

Posted by Craig on October 26, 2004 at 11:38 PM (PDT)

In Thailand, many people have their cell phones or pocket digital cameras in “socks” (custom size… same as iPod socks) for yearssss.

(And that costs about 1US$ only)

Posted by jay on October 27, 2004 at 1:28 AM (PDT)

I think Apple have stolen the idea :( A few mates and myself have been using socks for quite a while now!

Posted by Tim on October 27, 2004 at 1:42 AM (PDT)

3 pairs make 6 socks.

Posted by me on October 27, 2004 at 3:31 AM (PDT)

Ive didn’t want a case that would challenge the design. It’s an “all or nothing” approach…it’s either inside something, or it ain’t. The socks ridicule all those case designers who try so hard and still make crap.

Posted by langdon auger on October 27, 2004 at 4:05 AM (PDT)

can we say….MARKETING GIMMICK?

Posted by kdizzle in usa on October 27, 2004 at 4:28 AM (PDT)

it’s got to be a joke.

and jobs is laughing to the bank.

Posted by t on October 27, 2004 at 4:43 AM (PDT)

I just took a sock out of my drawer and made the new iPod sock. Wow, I didn’t even have to wait until mid-November or pay $29 for it.. ;P Sorry, but these socks should be included with all new iPods as someone said earlier.

Posted by Gorjan on October 27, 2004 at 4:52 AM (PDT)

And Steve Jobs jumps the shark!

Seriously, I have to imagine this is done purely as a marketing ploy with few hopes of commercial success.  Something akin to the 25th Anniversary mac…

Posted by dasmb on October 27, 2004 at 5:07 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >