Apple announces iPod Socks | iLounge News

Apple announces iPod Socks

picThe first new item Apple CEO, Steve Jobs introduced to the audience attending the Apple|U2 Music Event was a “revolutionary” new product for the iPod. iPod Socks is a boxed collection of carrying cases for iPods. Each box includes six colors; green, blue, grey, orange, pink, and aqua. iPod Socks will be available in mid-November for $29.

« Griffin announces iTrip Black for U2 iPod

Mac|Windows: iTunes 4.7 released »

Comments

$29???  hmmmpff…my grandma can knit me one of these in no time….LOL!

Posted by julian on October 27, 2004 at 5:12 AM (PDT)

I honestly thought it was a big joke to lighten up the crowd and set up the really big part of the presentation.  You know, iMac bla bla bla , iTunes bla bla bla, sales bla bla bla, and now the big iPod news ………………………………………..

…………………………………. Socks.

Ha Ha, just kidding …………………… iPod photo and U2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just watch the presentation and you might agree, even the graphics for the socks stunk.

Or, Apple thinks we’ll eat any load of crap, and ask for seconds, just because it says iPod on it.

Posted by jwc110869 in Rochester, NY on October 27, 2004 at 6:45 AM (PDT)

jwc110869 got it right.  Anyone who’s seen the presentation can tell the announcement of the socks was timed as “comic relief”.  Big iPod announcement…major speculation…could it be this, could it be that…and the first thing he talks about is the revolutionary…iPod Sock.  I laughed because I understood.

No doubt that they’ll actually sell these things, and why not?  They’re cheap as crap to manufacture, they’re soft (won’t scratch up your iPod), and they’re colored like the old iMacs.  6 cute color-coordinated cases for $30?  There will be more than a few of these sold.

Posted by Zachary on October 27, 2004 at 7:54 AM (PDT)

Also, just think of all the people picking up an iPod for their sweetie this Christmas and needing something warm & fuzzy to drop it in for the holidays.

I can see them selling a bunch of these at the Apple stores or as last minute ideas upon checkout at the online store.

I mean, come on, they literally embody the term “stocking stuffer”...

Posted by agentkow on October 27, 2004 at 10:55 AM (PDT)

I just got back from Target and they have spiffy new BLACK U2 SOCKS!

See ya
Steve

Posted by Stephen Worth on October 27, 2004 at 12:56 PM (PDT)

I just noticed that the google ad at the top of this page is advertising sweat socks. Someone at google stole my idea!

See ya
Steve

Posted by Stephen Worth on October 27, 2004 at 12:57 PM (PDT)

Yeah, I don’t know… I’m not sure who would want to buy 6 different colors especially at $30, but if you could get a couple friends it might be worth it…
It’s just a simple, unique, and colorful case design…
Plus, if it’s in a case that allows you to get at the controls, people will be able to tell it’s an iPod if it’s just sitting around.
What I’m getting at is theft protection… at first glance, this looks less like something you’d want to steal than it would if it were in most other cases.
Not to say that they look shabby…
As far as the “all-or-nothing"ness of the case… well, yeah… isn’t that what the slip-case is? I have one of those and I really like the way it works.
I don’t know, we’ll see…

Posted by Isral on October 27, 2004 at 1:00 PM (PDT)

Ok…when Steve Job said ‘revolutionary’, he meant it as a joke. Just go to Apple’s site and watch the webcast.

I don’t agree with the pricing and that you are forced to buy all colors, but I have to say I think this is a brilliant idea. It may not be origianl, but it’s simple and elegant, just like the iPod. There are so many case designs out there, but surprisingly very few really matches the aesthetics of the iPod design. BTW, these are not just normal sized socks! They are custom designed for the iPod. So please stop comments like ‘I’ll cut off my own sock to make one’, it just won’t be as nice.

Posted by Flix on October 27, 2004 at 4:07 PM (PDT)

What I’d like to know is why Apple is stuck on this $30 - $40 kick.  Everything accessory they offer is either $30-$40.  They think everyone will drop that amount for anything, no matter what it is.  Ignorant.

Hey Apple!  These are SOCKS.  $30 for socks???

How ‘bout GET REAL!

Posted by Z on October 27, 2004 at 4:11 PM (PDT)

Greetings Everyone!

This is Steve over at Apple.  I’d like to announce “Ipod Chunks”.

Here at Apple, we’ve been quietly grinding up old used first generation Ipods into chunks and placing them into little baggies.

We feel that consumers value history, and as the Ipod has truly made history, we feel that consumers carrying around Ipod Chunks is a tangible way for people to remember the Ipod’s roots.

Ipod Chunks will be on sale at your local Apple store for only $79.99!!!

See ya there!

Stevie

P.S.  Oh yeah, and buy some of those dumb socks, too!  OK, Thanks!

Posted by Steve o'er at Apple on October 27, 2004 at 4:30 PM (PDT)

Quote: BTW, these are not just normal sized socks! They are custom designed for the iPod. So please stop comments like ‘I’ll cut off my own sock to make one’, it just won’t be as nice.

NOW YOU TELL ME! I just cut the toes off of my entire sock drawer! I guess I’ll have to get myself some open toed shoes now…

I want a custom designed ascot and smoking jacket for my iPod!

See ya
Steve

Posted by Stephen Worth on October 27, 2004 at 11:21 PM (PDT)

i smell another cross-promo opportunity with the Red Hot Chilli Peppers…

Posted by Stavros Muchachos on October 28, 2004 at 1:17 AM (PDT)

HA!  :D

looks like Apple has gone and TO’d more of its loyal fan base eh?  Ya know, if you don’t like the socks… DON"T BUY THEM.  Sure, I think the socks are a little cheesy, and I probably wouldn’t buy them, but thats because I know someone is gonna buy them for me.  29 bucks is price of vanity- Deal with it.  There are so many things in life we pay way too much for, why is this be any different?

Posted by apple juice on October 28, 2004 at 5:26 AM (PDT)

correction on that last line:

“why SHOULD this be any different.”

wink

Posted by apple juice on October 28, 2004 at 5:28 AM (PDT)

look at my hand knitted socks for my love iPod:

smile

Posted by Anitation on October 29, 2004 at 9:28 AM (PDT)

Jobs should give the money from these to charty or somthin, socks cost , what like £3 for a pack of 3 pair!?!?!?!.

When I was watching the webcast when jobs said something else new about ipod I think it was gona be the smart card ipod, NOT ####### SOCKS
(did make me giggle though)

Posted by the1bigboy on October 29, 2004 at 10:49 AM (PDT)

Socks are nice. Buy them if you want them or just shut up.

Posted by bm in Brazil on October 29, 2004 at 11:27 AM (PDT)

I think http://www.patchworkcompany.com had that ipod sock   available a few months ago but is no longer available… strange I guess I’ll buy a quilt for my ipod too.

Posted by Nancy Hu on October 29, 2004 at 3:33 PM (PDT)

from what steve jobs was saying on that whole event thing, this is apples way of getting some market on ipod cases, which everyone else seems to be raking in the money for

Posted by Anirin on October 29, 2004 at 7:07 PM (PDT)

woah.  now this is thinking.  I can just imagine steve jobs with an iPod in one hand, a pair of socks in the other and then…......OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!

Think Different.

Posted by jamesd in Australia on October 29, 2004 at 10:53 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >