Apple announces major updates to iPod family, cuts iPhone price | iLounge News

Apple announces major updates to iPod family, cuts iPhone price

Apple today announced major updates to the iPod family at its “The Beat Goes On” special event in San Francisco. The iPod shuffle saw a refresh with new colors and packaging, an all-new iPod nano was introduced, as well as the iPod classic (which replaces the original “iPod” in the company’s lineup), and the all-new iPod touch.

imageiPod shuffle: The new iPod shuffle is available in several new colors, including a (PRODUCT) RED model, light green, light blue, and light purple. The smallest iPod also received updated, smaller packaging, while storage capacity remains at 1GB for the same price of $79. It will be available soon.

imageiPod nano: The all-new iPod nano is the same product shown in earlier spy shots, with a 2-inch, 204 pixel per inch, 320x240 resolution screen for video and photo viewing. The all-new design is made from anodized aluminum and polished stainless steel, and is available in five colors: silver, black, blue, green, and a (PRODUCT) RED special edition. It offers 24 hours of audio playback or five hours of video playback on a single charge, and includes three bundled games: Vortex, iQuiz, and Klondike. The new iPod nano also receives an enhanced iPod interface with Cover Flow. It will be available in two storage capacities — a silver-only 4GB model for $149, and an 8GB model available in all five colors for $199. “We’ve taken the most popular music player in the world and added stunning video playback just in time for the holiday season,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “The iPod nano just keeps getting better and better with each new generation.” It is available immediately.

imageiPod classic: Replacing the fifth-generation iPod in the company’s lineup, Apple’s new iPod classic features a new, thinner, all-metal anodized aluminum and polished stainless steel enclosure, the same enhanced iPod interface as the new iPod nano, including Cover Flow, and increased capacity and battery life. “The first iPod put 1,000 songs in your pocket-this new iPod classic can put 40,000 songs in your pocket,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “With a thinner, all-metal enclosure and an enhanced user interface, the iPod classic is ideal for people who want to hold everything on their iPod.”

In addition, the iPod classic also comes bundled with three games: Vortex, iQuiz, and Klondike. The new 80GB iPod classic is thinner than the fifth-generation 30GB model, and offers 30 hours of music playback and five hours of video playback. It sells for $249. The 160GB iPod classic offers storage for up to 40,000 songs, up to 40 hours of music playback and seven hours of video playback from a single charge, and sells for $349. Both models are available immediately, in both silver and black.

imageiPod touch: Building on the momentum of the iPhone’s iPod interface, the iPod touch features the same touch screen multi-touch interface found on the iPhone, as well as integrated Wi-Fi, the Safari web browser, a 3.5-inch widescreen display, and a 8mm thin enclosure. The iPod touch offers up to 22 hours of audio playback, up to five hours of video playback, and will be available in both 8GB and 16GB capacities later this month. The 8GB iPod touch is priced at $299, while the 16GB model will sell for $399.

iPhone: Apple also dropped the price of the 8GB iPhone to $399. “The surveys are in and iPhone customer satisfaction scores are higher than we’ve ever seen for any Apple product,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “We’ve clearly got a breakthrough product and we want to make it affordable for even more customers as we enter this holiday season.” Apple’s official announcement states that “The iPhone 4GB model will be sold while supplies last,” but does not give any pricing details. Update: Several iLounge readers have reported that Apple is offering the 4GB iPhone model for $299 “While supplies last.”

« Apple unveils iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, iTunes 7.4, custom ringtones from iTunes tracks

Mix: NBC, Palm, Zune, birdJam »

Comments

i’ll get the touch when they make a 60-80 GB model

Posted by Bradley Silverman on September 5, 2007 at 12:09 PM (PDT)

The nano fatty is real!

Posted by Joshdude on September 5, 2007 at 12:11 PM (PDT)

When I read the live updates it sounded like the touch came in 80 and 160 GB. I nearly lost it. Now that I know it’s the classic and the touch only goes up to 16, I’m not sure which to get.

Posted by Jon on September 5, 2007 at 12:14 PM (PDT)

thanks for screwing over all us early iphone adopters Steve. i’m glad i paid more for my 4gb to pad your wallet the weekend they came out.

Posted by mdwsta4 on September 5, 2007 at 12:14 PM (PDT)

I don’t like the new colors. Also I don’t think it makes sense to have a widescreen video iPod with only 16 GB of storage, even if it does have wi-fi. I was hoping for a widescreen with a hard drive and figured that was lost as soon as they said how thin the Touch is. Having lost my old 20 GB 3G, I may have to get a new nano to hold me over. Wonder if I should wait a couple of weeks for a “one more thing” announcement?

Posted by brted on September 5, 2007 at 12:15 PM (PDT)

OMG!!!! iPod classic & touch!

Posted by AlphaUser on September 5, 2007 at 12:15 PM (PDT)

i’ll get the itouch when it’s up to 160gb…

right now i’m just hoping apple throws the OG 5G owners a bone and releases an update to add search to our software…

Posted by puckles on September 5, 2007 at 12:16 PM (PDT)

Personally I like the new look but the colors?  Is it just me or are they targeted to just women?  I don’t know any guys (straight at least) that would like these colors.

Posted by Brad on September 5, 2007 at 12:17 PM (PDT)

Well steve you are not getting a new Ipod out of me.  Vidio needs lots of G’s give the big screen to the 160Gig and we’ll talk

Posted by Jeff on September 5, 2007 at 12:19 PM (PDT)

Sweet - I can finally replace my wheezing 4G with a cool, new touchscreen iPod with video, wi-fi, etc!

16 GB? Really? Is this some kind of sick joke?

Sigh.

Posted by Ben on September 5, 2007 at 12:22 PM (PDT)

As usual, Jobs tells you what you want.  FatPod.  At least this will make the prices on the previous generations drop.  Or they might go up.  iPod touch is a nice idea, but too pricey for my wallet.  $399 for 8GB is $50/GB.  The 16 GB model is still expensive at $25/GB.  Compare that to $6.63/GB on a Zune.  I know, who wants a Zune.  Jobs philosophy - If I build it, they will buy it.

Peace

Posted by Tony Dupe on September 5, 2007 at 12:22 PM (PDT)

Please tell me you early adopters weren’t so delusional to think the price would drastically go down soon after launch?  That’s how the cookie crumbles.

I, for one, am very disappointed that the iPod touch capacity is so abysmally low!  So much for the travel beast I was hoping for.

iPod Classic 160gb here I come!

Posted by BobDole on September 5, 2007 at 12:22 PM (PDT)

Why oh why does the Touch not come wit ha hard drive model?  That thing is just stunningly gorgeous, has the exciting new iPhone GUI, and more importantly that enormous screen just begs you to use it as a video player.  But with a 16 gig top capacity I couldn’t get my music collection on there, never mind my videos too!

Oh well, at least the revamped iPod classic finally has a case that won’t scratch when you look at it funny.

Posted by phennphawcks on September 5, 2007 at 12:23 PM (PDT)

I’m glad you knew that the price of the iPhone would drop $200 a mere 68 days after it’s initial release.  Those that bought one at the launch just got royally screwed.  Thanks Apple.

Posted by @BobDole on September 5, 2007 at 12:26 PM (PDT)

Nice, but I’ll stick with 5.5 until the touch jumps in storage. The classic is nice, but I don’t know if it’s worth the upgrade just yet.

Posted by ddsd on September 5, 2007 at 12:28 PM (PDT)

Re: no hard drive based Touch

Perhaps a hard drive would interfere with wi-fi and/or touchscreen tech, especially so close together. Any experts out there?

Posted by beetsnotbeats on September 5, 2007 at 12:30 PM (PDT)

Yeah true we did take it a little for buying an iPhone but then again we were able to be the first ones to carry that thing of beauty around.

Posted by Brad on September 5, 2007 at 12:31 PM (PDT)

What’s with Itunes 7.4, which is a condition for using Ipod classic not being able to support Windows 2000?  Does this sound legit or an oversight?

Posted by tim on September 5, 2007 at 12:32 PM (PDT)

I could understand a $50 drop. A $100 drop would be painful, but within the realm of acceptance - just barely. A drop of $200 in two months for we early adopters is painful.

Posted by mindflayer on September 5, 2007 at 12:32 PM (PDT)

you didn’t get screwed…you’ve got the same product you willingly paid for.

it’s just that now, someone else can get it cheaper.  How exactly is that screwing *you*?

Posted by OnlyShawn on September 5, 2007 at 12:33 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 8 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »