Apple announces major updates to iPod family, cuts iPhone price | iLounge News

Apple announces major updates to iPod family, cuts iPhone price

Apple today announced major updates to the iPod family at its “The Beat Goes On” special event in San Francisco. The iPod shuffle saw a refresh with new colors and packaging, an all-new iPod nano was introduced, as well as the iPod classic (which replaces the original “iPod” in the company’s lineup), and the all-new iPod touch.

imageiPod shuffle: The new iPod shuffle is available in several new colors, including a (PRODUCT) RED model, light green, light blue, and light purple. The smallest iPod also received updated, smaller packaging, while storage capacity remains at 1GB for the same price of $79. It will be available soon.

imageiPod nano: The all-new iPod nano is the same product shown in earlier spy shots, with a 2-inch, 204 pixel per inch, 320x240 resolution screen for video and photo viewing. The all-new design is made from anodized aluminum and polished stainless steel, and is available in five colors: silver, black, blue, green, and a (PRODUCT) RED special edition. It offers 24 hours of audio playback or five hours of video playback on a single charge, and includes three bundled games: Vortex, iQuiz, and Klondike. The new iPod nano also receives an enhanced iPod interface with Cover Flow. It will be available in two storage capacities — a silver-only 4GB model for $149, and an 8GB model available in all five colors for $199. “We’ve taken the most popular music player in the world and added stunning video playback just in time for the holiday season,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “The iPod nano just keeps getting better and better with each new generation.” It is available immediately.

imageiPod classic: Replacing the fifth-generation iPod in the company’s lineup, Apple’s new iPod classic features a new, thinner, all-metal anodized aluminum and polished stainless steel enclosure, the same enhanced iPod interface as the new iPod nano, including Cover Flow, and increased capacity and battery life. “The first iPod put 1,000 songs in your pocket-this new iPod classic can put 40,000 songs in your pocket,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “With a thinner, all-metal enclosure and an enhanced user interface, the iPod classic is ideal for people who want to hold everything on their iPod.”

In addition, the iPod classic also comes bundled with three games: Vortex, iQuiz, and Klondike. The new 80GB iPod classic is thinner than the fifth-generation 30GB model, and offers 30 hours of music playback and five hours of video playback. It sells for $249. The 160GB iPod classic offers storage for up to 40,000 songs, up to 40 hours of music playback and seven hours of video playback from a single charge, and sells for $349. Both models are available immediately, in both silver and black.

imageiPod touch: Building on the momentum of the iPhone’s iPod interface, the iPod touch features the same touch screen multi-touch interface found on the iPhone, as well as integrated Wi-Fi, the Safari web browser, a 3.5-inch widescreen display, and a 8mm thin enclosure. The iPod touch offers up to 22 hours of audio playback, up to five hours of video playback, and will be available in both 8GB and 16GB capacities later this month. The 8GB iPod touch is priced at $299, while the 16GB model will sell for $399.

iPhone: Apple also dropped the price of the 8GB iPhone to $399. “The surveys are in and iPhone customer satisfaction scores are higher than we’ve ever seen for any Apple product,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “We’ve clearly got a breakthrough product and we want to make it affordable for even more customers as we enter this holiday season.” Apple’s official announcement states that “The iPhone 4GB model will be sold while supplies last,” but does not give any pricing details. Update: Several iLounge readers have reported that Apple is offering the 4GB iPhone model for $299 “While supplies last.”

« Apple unveils iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, iTunes 7.4, custom ringtones from iTunes tracks

Mix: NBC, Palm, Zune, birdJam »

Comments

Black eye for Apple.

What a shame

Posted by marcfogel on September 6, 2007 at 7:53 AM (PDT)

Finally a reason to come back to ilounge. All the iphone stuff was boring. Yes you’re right I don’t have one, nor want one. As for the new additions to the apple line, some will love them and some will hate them, just a fact of life.

Posted by revmike on September 6, 2007 at 8:11 AM (PDT)

Here is my two-cents worth. If I had bought I would be upset too, but if you read the article that marcfogel linked to the industry analyst say that the cell phone industry works that way. Instead of lamenting the problem we should try to figure out a solution. Since Apple won’t be offering refunds on iphone over 2 weeks old then they need to appease the Apple faithful. One solution is have their business partner AT&T offer discounted services (give free minutes something to that effect) Then you end up with a win win situation for everyone. As to the rest of the complaints about the itouch not having enough storage capacity I think we are missing the point of the WiFi portion of the product. There are currently services out there that allow you to store your music and video collection on a server accessible on the internet so you could theoretically have access to all of your music even with the small storage size. What I think you will see next is service’s that allow you to stream this content to your iTouch. There is also talk in the music industry that the best way to save itself is the subscription model which again allows you to access the music via the internet. Rick Rubin the new co-head of Columbia records says that is the way to go. So now is Apple giving us an easy to use device and interface to make a subscription service more attractive? The last issue is that how much battery power would be wasted by accessing a hard drive to provide content? I am sure the WiFi is an energy hog itself. Again just my two cents worth.

Posted by gregorysleep on September 6, 2007 at 9:06 AM (PDT)

The other thing no one has mentioned yet, is that (as long as you’re in a wifi network area) you have unlimited free internet radio. I doubt Pandora will work yet because of the browser limitations, but when it does, you have a somewhat-chooseable ready-made music collection that takes up no space whatsoever on your hard drive. And since wifi networks are becoming more and more commonplace, this could be a totally feasible solution to small storage sizes.

Posted by Isral DeBruin on September 6, 2007 at 10:06 AM (PDT)

This is off the current list of supporters, whinners and told you so posts - Wonder how long before the Touch is hacked (like iPhone) and the screen is full of non-Apple icons? I suspect the system is the same as iPhone part (SW toggles so it does not look for missing parts) so the port should be easy (challenge to the hackers out there). Its almost tempting if you don’t want the phone part to get a Touch and modd it with all the stuff you can add to an iPhone(sorry I have iPhone, screen full of icons, most non-Apple, and I’m getting over the $200 hit)

Posted by TonyD on September 6, 2007 at 10:49 AM (PDT)

Several people have mentioned wanting some of the features like Google maps in the new Touch.

Here’s my question: Is it possible to just buy one of the 4GB iPhones they are blowing out for $299 and never activate the phone?  That way you’d have all of the extras that the touch is missing.  Or is my ideas stupid?  lol…

Posted by Chris on September 6, 2007 at 11:14 AM (PDT)

Well, you pay to experience Schadenfreude. And Apple determined that that would cost you about $200.00 If Steve chooses to ask you to do early-adopter gadget-geek advertising for him then that is his right. If you choose to accept that offer and freely pay for Apple’s advertising, that is absolutely most certainly and definitely your right.

Posted by Keatah on September 6, 2007 at 11:28 AM (PDT)

The touch screen w/ 16gb and wifi is all about itunes sales. Purchase via the wifi, fill up quick, listen or watch, dump and buy more. A toy strictly for the lowest common denominator. The same stupid trendy crowd that bought those phones.

Posted by Eugene Hulbert on September 6, 2007 at 12:06 PM (PDT)

I am going to order a 16gig iPod Touch, sorry but I don’t need to carry everything with me, and if it works like my friends iPhone (which it should) it will sync only the shows I have not watched yet in my season passes and remove them when I have so I don’t need a billion gigs of storage.

Posted by Kevin R. on September 6, 2007 at 1:22 PM (PDT)

It appears that Jobs is giving iPhone early adopters a $100 store credit. Just wanted to share!

Posted by GigiMars on September 6, 2007 at 1:25 PM (PDT)

To Eugene Hulbert:

There’s really no cause for you to be an insulting turd. The “stupid” and “trendy” crowd? Is it stupid and trendy to want to carry a single, slim device that acts as personal entertainment, business, and communications conduit all at once? I think not.

Look, you don’t like the iPhone or the iPod Touch. We get it. No need to mount an ad hominem attack on those who don’t feel that way.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on September 6, 2007 at 2:17 PM (PDT)

Let me see if I have this figured out now.. Steve drops the price by 200. gets everybody upset and makes them feel bad. A little later on, he gives you a $100 credit (which was planned all along, to give the illusion of a nice guy and a responsive company; and now you see an effort being made to make you happy, so you now feel good and actually want to go into his stores and buy something, but anything cool is gonna cost more than the $100 credit! Pure marketing genius, got you early adopters giving back the money and MORE on top of it; all while making him look good.. That is impressive, my dear early adopters, do you not think so?

Posted by Keatah on September 6, 2007 at 6:17 PM (PDT)

I think the new iPod Touch looks absolutely fabulous. My first impulse is to badly want one, but the fact is, that I already have a perfectly good 5th generation iPod, which is only 18 months old. The fact is that I don’t need a new iPod, I just like the idea of one, and I bet a large percentage of other people writing here are in the same boat.

Apple are absolute masters at manipulating this covet factor. The fact is, a lot of people are going to succumb to it and buy those touch screen iPods when they don’t really need them. When you reflect on it dispassionately, it’s pretty ridiculous as well as appallingly wasteful.

So, I’m just going to admire the touch screen iPods from a distance. One day, when they have become the norm, I will probably buy one, because they are brilliantly clever and lovely, but they are only going to get better and have more capacity as they go along. (I could never use a 16GB iPod as a main player). I was very happy with the 5th generation Ipod when I first got it, and it’s still great today.

On the subject of the shuffle colours, I’m clearly in the minority because I quite like them. I always thought the original colours were too garish—the new green and blue are, to my eyes, much more attractive than the previous ones. I do wonder, though, why they don’t make a black one. It wouldn’t appeal to me, but I think men would really like the option.

I’m also sorry there is no white iPod now. I love white—it makes the lines look so clean and sleek.

Posted by DragonQ on September 6, 2007 at 6:28 PM (PDT)

anyone know if the ipodTouch can stream music over your wireless network to your home stereo or powered speakers (AirPort Express Base Station with AirTunes)?????

can anyone please respond to the option of extra storage capacity mentioned on review by jeremy??? and how about the posibility of streaming music to an airport express base station? that would be more than enough for me to purchase this sucker. oh and what about writing an email? is this able? i think the rest is pretty much clear to all of us. please respond asap!

Posted by brutus_83 on September 6, 2007 at 6:58 PM (PDT)

Keetah is right, Jobs is a masterful businessman AND he guides a company that produces useful, impressive, gourgeous products, that many people want…..and people are buying them. its called called capitalism….find a niche, fil it, then fill it some more. I don’t need a new ipod (I currently have 2 plus the phone), but I sure do want one. Jobs has done his job…... .again!

Posted by marioj on September 6, 2007 at 10:48 PM (PDT)

A few points about these new iPods:
1. iPod nano III is… weird. It looks like an old nano mixed with iPod 5.5, and this mix isn’t nice.
2. iPod classic - generally ok.
3. iPod Touch - where is the most recognizeable iPod feature - Click Wheel?!
4. iPod Shuffle II - I think it is most nice of all, generally because it didn’t change at well.
5. THESE HORRIBLE COLORS!!!
6. I want my loveable old, thin, beauty nano…
7. None of new iPods is white.
8. I don’t know what think about it… Maybe it’s just a matter of… accomodation.

Posted by lonelyboy1989 on September 7, 2007 at 3:41 PM (PDT)

16 GB. Typical Apple arrogance expecting people will buy this underspeced device. Hey Stevie. VIDEO REQUIRES MASSIVE STORAGE. 16 GB for $400 is absurd.

Posted by blah blah blah on September 10, 2007 at 3:50 PM (PDT)

Page 8 of 8 pages « First  <  6 7 8