Apple announces major updates to iPod family, cuts iPhone price | iLounge News

Apple announces major updates to iPod family, cuts iPhone price

Apple today announced major updates to the iPod family at its “The Beat Goes On” special event in San Francisco. The iPod shuffle saw a refresh with new colors and packaging, an all-new iPod nano was introduced, as well as the iPod classic (which replaces the original “iPod” in the company’s lineup), and the all-new iPod touch.

imageiPod shuffle: The new iPod shuffle is available in several new colors, including a (PRODUCT) RED model, light green, light blue, and light purple. The smallest iPod also received updated, smaller packaging, while storage capacity remains at 1GB for the same price of $79. It will be available soon.

imageiPod nano: The all-new iPod nano is the same product shown in earlier spy shots, with a 2-inch, 204 pixel per inch, 320x240 resolution screen for video and photo viewing. The all-new design is made from anodized aluminum and polished stainless steel, and is available in five colors: silver, black, blue, green, and a (PRODUCT) RED special edition. It offers 24 hours of audio playback or five hours of video playback on a single charge, and includes three bundled games: Vortex, iQuiz, and Klondike. The new iPod nano also receives an enhanced iPod interface with Cover Flow. It will be available in two storage capacities — a silver-only 4GB model for $149, and an 8GB model available in all five colors for $199. “We’ve taken the most popular music player in the world and added stunning video playback just in time for the holiday season,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “The iPod nano just keeps getting better and better with each new generation.” It is available immediately.

imageiPod classic: Replacing the fifth-generation iPod in the company’s lineup, Apple’s new iPod classic features a new, thinner, all-metal anodized aluminum and polished stainless steel enclosure, the same enhanced iPod interface as the new iPod nano, including Cover Flow, and increased capacity and battery life. “The first iPod put 1,000 songs in your pocket-this new iPod classic can put 40,000 songs in your pocket,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “With a thinner, all-metal enclosure and an enhanced user interface, the iPod classic is ideal for people who want to hold everything on their iPod.”

In addition, the iPod classic also comes bundled with three games: Vortex, iQuiz, and Klondike. The new 80GB iPod classic is thinner than the fifth-generation 30GB model, and offers 30 hours of music playback and five hours of video playback. It sells for $249. The 160GB iPod classic offers storage for up to 40,000 songs, up to 40 hours of music playback and seven hours of video playback from a single charge, and sells for $349. Both models are available immediately, in both silver and black.

imageiPod touch: Building on the momentum of the iPhone’s iPod interface, the iPod touch features the same touch screen multi-touch interface found on the iPhone, as well as integrated Wi-Fi, the Safari web browser, a 3.5-inch widescreen display, and a 8mm thin enclosure. The iPod touch offers up to 22 hours of audio playback, up to five hours of video playback, and will be available in both 8GB and 16GB capacities later this month. The 8GB iPod touch is priced at $299, while the 16GB model will sell for $399.

iPhone: Apple also dropped the price of the 8GB iPhone to $399. “The surveys are in and iPhone customer satisfaction scores are higher than we’ve ever seen for any Apple product,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “We’ve clearly got a breakthrough product and we want to make it affordable for even more customers as we enter this holiday season.” Apple’s official announcement states that “The iPhone 4GB model will be sold while supplies last,” but does not give any pricing details. Update: Several iLounge readers have reported that Apple is offering the 4GB iPhone model for $299 “While supplies last.”

« Apple unveils iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, iTunes 7.4, custom ringtones from iTunes tracks

Mix: NBC, Palm, Zune, birdJam »

Comments

i’m severely pissed off right now.  i want my $200 back.  seriously.  how can that happen?

Posted by jo on September 5, 2007 at 12:34 PM (PDT)

that iPod touch is freakin sweet but what i cant believe is a 160GB ipod! i think i need to buy more music cause i only have 14GB of music!

Posted by mikeh on September 5, 2007 at 12:34 PM (PDT)

Jo: if your iPhone shipped from Apple less than 10 days ago you can get the refund by calling the apple store… 800-my-apple

editor: the 4GB iPhone is selling for $299 while supplies last.

Jamin

Posted by J on September 5, 2007 at 12:36 PM (PDT)

$299 for the 4GB iPhone now.

Posted by Paul on September 5, 2007 at 12:36 PM (PDT)

iPod touch with only 8 or 16 gb? Almost pointless as having a nano video where you can load, what, a 10 30-min. TV sitcoms and an even tinier ### screen than my 60GB video iPod.  No thanx.

Yes, I would wait because this is what’s gonna happen:

The iPod “classic” as they call it will be dropped out of the line up when the iPod “touch” goes up to the larger drives, 200 gb or 300 gb or whatever.  And the nano will also be a touchpad (probably won’t be called nanos anymore) with larger flash drives that go up to 50 or even 100 gb. The shuffle, well, can’t really do video shuffles if there are no screens.
It’ll probably have screens, but only for music (similar to a 4G or even 3G iPods). Besides, I’d wait for the next gen on the iPod touch so they can get all the bugs out.

Keyword here: WAIT WAIT WAIT!

Posted by Harry Kintama on September 5, 2007 at 12:38 PM (PDT)

iPod touch is essentially everything I was wanting but I was surprised that it was flash only. It’s flash obviously due to battery life concerns because it has WiFi. Personally, I would have sacrificed the WiFi for a 160Gb hard drive.

Still, I’ve ordered a 16Gb. I’ve got an 80Gb 5.5 Gen that I’ll use purely for music instead of music and video. I’ll probably buy a 160Gb Classic to replace it. The 160Gb was a complete surprise for me. I thought maybe 120Gb, but that’s insane value.

Next year’s touch will be at least twice the capacity and the year after? Hard drives will be gone and flash will meet or exceed their capacity.

So buy, people. This is what you’re offered and, as usual, it won’t please everyone, but it’s the best in the business.

Posted by Japester on September 5, 2007 at 12:40 PM (PDT)

So deprecation on 8G iPhone is $200 is 2 months - so in 4 more months it will be free? ? That’s why I think we got screwed (early adopters) or did ATT decide they could subsidize it now it has shown to be a seller? I think the later, maybe ATT will not bill us for the next 2 months to make up - by the way I just ordered the 160G model - my current 80g one is full (it will now be the car one and the kids can a have the 60g forth generation from the car)

Posted by TonyD on September 5, 2007 at 12:41 PM (PDT)

For the waiters in the crowd, consider this: This is it for the next year. There might be colour and capacity tweaks, but this is it. Buy now. If you wait, you’ll be waiting until next year and then you’ll find fault with those models. When does it stop?

Posted by Japester on September 5, 2007 at 12:43 PM (PDT)

Wah Wah Wah!!  “I bought an iPhone the day it came out so I could boast I was the first one to get it, now it’s $200 less”

SHUT UP you complaining whiners.  Serves you right for plonking down the $$ on the iPhone on day one.  No sympathy here.

Posted by FlyingPig on September 5, 2007 at 12:45 PM (PDT)

Of course iPod touch is going to increase in capacity… but when? I waited and waited for this type of announcement, finally breaking down and buying the 5.5 80GB iPod (classic) last September. Now I’m dying to get my hands on an iPod touch. (If ever there was a reason to have two iPods, this would be it.)

Posted by bookcase on September 5, 2007 at 12:49 PM (PDT)

Wow, an amazing update, although I would have liked the iPod Touch to hold more personally.

Now I can talk the wife into an iPhone (only I made the switch) since they dropped in price! Awesome Apple!

Posted by James Tavern on September 5, 2007 at 12:52 PM (PDT)

Silver Ipod Classic… the best even better. I hated the new nanos, ugly design. Ipod touch, no touch for me, 16GB max for $399? No thanks.

Posted by JaRa76 on September 5, 2007 at 12:52 PM (PDT)

the $200 price drop so soon after launch is a real kick in the nuts. Image any product you buy at release that has a 30% price drop less than 70 days later.

I think people should be more pissed about this than some idiot who can’t change the iPhones battery.

Apple screwed a lot of people back in the day of OS 9 and the G4 tower with “SuperDrives” a $500 option at the time. Well the DVD burning ability was only available with iDVD. You couldn’t make data DVDs natively within OS9. You would have to wait for OSX to come out to use this expensive option.

Posted by Chris on September 5, 2007 at 12:52 PM (PDT)

The ipod touch is really cool- the web surfing alone makes it sweet- if your going to start with an ipod- and you have the money- this would be a great “first ipod” - that’s who the touch is for people—think about it- the touch is for ALL iPOD HOLDOUTS who refused to buy one.

Ipod Touch is meant to tempt them over to the “Apple side”. The treat for all of us who already have 30, 60, 80 gb video ipods is the 160 gb iPod classic. That little beauty is meant for all of us who already have video ipods but desire more storage- that storage capacity was more than I ever hoped for- that one is for all of us who are happy with our older model features- yet desire more capacity as a portable hard drive. SCORE!

That seems to be the “plan” and it’s one I’m very happy with. iPod classic 160 gb here I come!!!!

Posted by Hatman on September 5, 2007 at 12:54 PM (PDT)

Well I was completely underwhelmed with the shuffle refresh.  New colors for same price and no capacity bump?  Lame.

Posted by dodo on September 5, 2007 at 12:56 PM (PDT)

I am also underwhelmed with the nano phatty.  It’s heavier and wider (albeit shorter) than the 2G nano and doesn’t have any extra capacity.  The price drop is nice, but I would have preferred a capacity bump to a price drop.  I think I might get myself a refurbed black 8GB 2G nano for $169 before they’re gone from the Apple Store.  For me, the nano reached the pinnacle of perfection with 2G.

Posted by dodo on September 5, 2007 at 12:57 PM (PDT)

I’m happy with the iPod classic.  I’m glag Jobs didn’t forget about us people who just want a big HDD-based iPod.  The 160 GB capacity surprised me.  I wasn’t hoping for anything more than 120 GB and thought they might just bump to 100 GB.  And an 80 GB iPod with refreshed interface for $250?  vs. a Zune 30 GB at the $199?  So long Zune.

The iPod Touch is quite neat, but I’m disappointed at the capacity.  I was hoping to be blown away by a 32 GB flash-based iPod.  Or I would be happy to have a thicker, heavier 160 GB HDD-based Touch.  16 GB flash would be acceptable to me if the WiFi could be used to wirelessly stream your entire iTunes library off your computer while you’re at home (and also to wirelessly control your computer iTunes as a remote if you have your computer wired to your house speaker).  Then you’d have access to all your music at home and 16 GB for when you’re on the road.  Oh well.

I think I’ll be getting the 160 GB iPod classic (will fit my entire music collection in Lossless! with room for some videos).  And I’m thinking about a refurbed 2G 8GB nano.  In the man time I’m going to mod an old mini with a CF card to turn it into a 16 GB player.

Posted by dodo on September 5, 2007 at 12:57 PM (PDT)

Why the mouth mic hole on the Touch? Does it share that many parts?

Posted by Warren Piece on September 5, 2007 at 12:59 PM (PDT)

A lot of good the touch will do me when I already have my 20gb nearly full.

Posted by Greg Kravish on September 5, 2007 at 1:01 PM (PDT)

For those who don’t think that us early iPhone adopters got screwed: When was the last time any Apple product saw a 33% price cut in 2 months time?

Imagine if you bought a new MacBook Pro in late June at say, $1,700 and that today that same model was suddenly dropped to $1,100. I think you would be both surprised and feel a little used.

This is sickening, seriously… I’m usually an early adopter, and I am accustom to paying a premium to have a product early. That being said, I will no longer be an early adopter of Apple products. It’s obvious that the margins on the early iPhones were just outrageous, as there is no way that the materials cost for the iPhone has dropped that much in 2 months. Just imagine how someone feels if they didn’t get one at launch, but waited a month or so.

Maybe Apple and AT&T should have been passing out bottles of Vaseline to those who waited in line.

Posted by rpboyer on September 5, 2007 at 1:03 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 8 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >  Last »