Apple announces major updates to iPod family, cuts iPhone price | iLounge News

Apple announces major updates to iPod family, cuts iPhone price

Apple today announced major updates to the iPod family at its “The Beat Goes On” special event in San Francisco. The iPod shuffle saw a refresh with new colors and packaging, an all-new iPod nano was introduced, as well as the iPod classic (which replaces the original “iPod” in the company’s lineup), and the all-new iPod touch.

imageiPod shuffle: The new iPod shuffle is available in several new colors, including a (PRODUCT) RED model, light green, light blue, and light purple. The smallest iPod also received updated, smaller packaging, while storage capacity remains at 1GB for the same price of $79. It will be available soon.

imageiPod nano: The all-new iPod nano is the same product shown in earlier spy shots, with a 2-inch, 204 pixel per inch, 320x240 resolution screen for video and photo viewing. The all-new design is made from anodized aluminum and polished stainless steel, and is available in five colors: silver, black, blue, green, and a (PRODUCT) RED special edition. It offers 24 hours of audio playback or five hours of video playback on a single charge, and includes three bundled games: Vortex, iQuiz, and Klondike. The new iPod nano also receives an enhanced iPod interface with Cover Flow. It will be available in two storage capacities — a silver-only 4GB model for $149, and an 8GB model available in all five colors for $199. “We’ve taken the most popular music player in the world and added stunning video playback just in time for the holiday season,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “The iPod nano just keeps getting better and better with each new generation.” It is available immediately.

imageiPod classic: Replacing the fifth-generation iPod in the company’s lineup, Apple’s new iPod classic features a new, thinner, all-metal anodized aluminum and polished stainless steel enclosure, the same enhanced iPod interface as the new iPod nano, including Cover Flow, and increased capacity and battery life. “The first iPod put 1,000 songs in your pocket-this new iPod classic can put 40,000 songs in your pocket,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “With a thinner, all-metal enclosure and an enhanced user interface, the iPod classic is ideal for people who want to hold everything on their iPod.”

In addition, the iPod classic also comes bundled with three games: Vortex, iQuiz, and Klondike. The new 80GB iPod classic is thinner than the fifth-generation 30GB model, and offers 30 hours of music playback and five hours of video playback. It sells for $249. The 160GB iPod classic offers storage for up to 40,000 songs, up to 40 hours of music playback and seven hours of video playback from a single charge, and sells for $349. Both models are available immediately, in both silver and black.

imageiPod touch: Building on the momentum of the iPhone’s iPod interface, the iPod touch features the same touch screen multi-touch interface found on the iPhone, as well as integrated Wi-Fi, the Safari web browser, a 3.5-inch widescreen display, and a 8mm thin enclosure. The iPod touch offers up to 22 hours of audio playback, up to five hours of video playback, and will be available in both 8GB and 16GB capacities later this month. The 8GB iPod touch is priced at $299, while the 16GB model will sell for $399.

iPhone: Apple also dropped the price of the 8GB iPhone to $399. “The surveys are in and iPhone customer satisfaction scores are higher than we’ve ever seen for any Apple product,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “We’ve clearly got a breakthrough product and we want to make it affordable for even more customers as we enter this holiday season.” Apple’s official announcement states that “The iPhone 4GB model will be sold while supplies last,” but does not give any pricing details. Update: Several iLounge readers have reported that Apple is offering the 4GB iPhone model for $299 “While supplies last.”

« Apple unveils iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, iTunes 7.4, custom ringtones from iTunes tracks

Mix: NBC, Palm, Zune, birdJam »

Comments

@HarryKintama: if you keep waiting, you’ll be waiting forever and never have an iPod to enjoy.  I might have advised folks to wait last year if they already had a relatively recent iPod, but I’d say now’s the time to buy.  There probably won’t be another refresh until next year and then it might be incremental (bumps in capacity + price drop but not completely new devices).

Posted by dodo on September 5, 2007 at 4:04 PM (CDT)

The iPhone isn’t even released in Canada (or other countries besides the U.S. really) and the price has already dropped.

And I am enamoured by the CONCEPT of the iPod Touch/iPhone but the space is just too little for me. I have the 30gb iPod video and while I would LOVE to play around with the Wifi, I would rather have more space. I think. Anyway, watch the price drop in a few months for the Touch.

Posted by blahhh on September 5, 2007 at 4:08 PM (CDT)

What a crap showing from Apple they have finally lost the cool factor. I was expecting a wide screen iPod with at least 40GB not the pathetic 8-16GB. So will not be buying an iPod any time soon, and what about the fugly nano, Microsoft must have the biggest smiles on their faces. At the top of their game, Apple shoots themselves in the foot again

Posted by Brent on September 5, 2007 at 4:10 PM (CDT)

160 gigassssssssssssssssss that’s greattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt, no big screen it’s a pain.

Posted by gonzalo on September 5, 2007 at 4:12 PM (CDT)

Ok, I was a day one adopter of the iPhone. I feel like I just got punched in the gut. Apple has rarely dropped the price on a product without releasing an updated version. Now, less than 70 days after launch, they drop $200 on the 8GB model and drop the 4GB that I bought all together. That sucks Apple! Your early adopters are your bread and butter. We step off the ledge knowing that your new products will be worth the risk. We spread the word on how great this product is. We convince friends and family that they can’t go wrong with this great device. Then you drop the price $200 in less than 70 days? I feel violated…

Posted by tmhale13 on September 5, 2007 at 4:12 PM (CDT)

So has anyone noticed that as of today, for the first time in the history of the iPod, Apple no longer sells a current model in the original (and only) color: white.  My 1G 5 GB model is now chromatically outdated as well as in every other way.

It’s the end of an era…

Posted by CaryT on September 5, 2007 at 4:13 PM (CDT)

The touch looks like it could be a rockin’ replacement for my pda. Does this mean that itunes could add calendar function? If you have a touch is wifi access at starbucks free? or is it locked down to only itunes wifi access. Can I add contacts from the virtual keyboard on the touch.

Posted by Joe on September 5, 2007 at 4:16 PM (CDT)

Tony Dupe:
Compare that to $6.63/GB on a Zune…?
You said iPod Touch is $50 and $25 per Gigabyte…

If you would like to compare cost per Gig, you might want to compare hard drive space versus hard drive space - which is what the Zune has…

For the iPod classic - which is the only hard drive based iPod left and probably most closely resembles the Zune at this point, the cost per GB is $3.11/GB for the 80 GB classic and $2.18/GB for the 160 GB.  So the iPod is less than half the price per GB if you want to just measure that.

However, the occasional Steve Jobs reality distortion field does fool the senses sometimes.  In this case though - HDD space is always much much cheaper than flash space.

Posted by Jeremy on September 5, 2007 at 4:19 PM (CDT)

I can’t believe the touch doesn’t have volume control buttons. How do you change the volume when it is in your pocket or if you are in a different application?

Posted by rishio on September 5, 2007 at 4:20 PM (CDT)

Does anyone know if 5G ipod owners can upgrade software? Or does the new 6g have some new chip or something that allows it to run the new interface? I’d like tot stick with my 60gb video for awhile…at least until they release a larger capacity touch ipod.

Posted by Mike on September 5, 2007 at 4:21 PM (CDT)

Sheez, people.  Whine, whine, whine.

I have a 4GB iPhone which has about 40 music videos and about 500 songs.  Plenty for the hour commute to and from work everyday.  Sometimes I opt for video podcasts or TV shows.  Just a matter of learning to be creative with your Smart Playlists.

To those whimpering about the $200.00 price drop…that’s the price of early adoption (no pun intended).  Deal with it.

Posted by The Raven on September 5, 2007 at 4:21 PM (CDT)

I really like the iPod touch. I think i might get the 18GB version next year when the price goes down (it always does)heck I would be fine with the 8GB verion.

Posted by Ryan on September 5, 2007 at 4:26 PM (CDT)

What about lyrics? I can’t find anything about it… iPhone doesn’t do them.

Posted by MT on September 5, 2007 at 4:28 PM (CDT)

Quite frankly, I’m not impressed with any of the updates…

Shuffle: ugly blue, ugly green, red is beautiful, and purple seems nice.  No pink for the girls??  Or orange?

Nano (iFatty??): Video is a nice addition, but on a 2 inch screen?  Hmm.  Shape is nice too.  Once again, the blue and green?? Red and black look beautiful.  And again, no pink?  Or orange?? Orange would look hot.  No increase from 8 gigs of flash… disappointing.

iPod-C: Aluminum case will cause less scratches… but overall both look less beautiful (dull?) than the 5Gs.  Same old iPod, only bigger hard drives and cover flow.  Big deal.

iPod-T: We all knew one would come with a touch function.  I don’t think we all knew the meager flash drives they’d come with.  And no camera???  Seriously?  The iPhone has one.. and its pretty thin.  They couldn’t pack one into this puppy as well?

They look tempting, but I think I’ll save my money for now.  Also, why do people here think there will be 300GB iPods and 150GB Nanos right around the corner? It’s going to take another couple of years for flash drives to even reach 100GB, cause that’s where the industry is heading and the rate its increasing by…

And stop whining about how you’ve been screwed out of $200.  That’s life, and that’s what happens when you’re a first adopter of technology.  Couple of years ago, individuals shelled out $20K for 50” plasma TVs.  Now they’re $2.5K It’s called economies of scale.  At least the iPhone is cheaper for me now!  Woohoo!  :)

Posted by gan7114 on September 5, 2007 at 4:30 PM (CDT)

gan7114-
regarding your plasma comments…. if you bought a plasma TV for $10000 in August and now it cost $7000, would you be upset you just lost out on 3 grand for the EXACT same tv set? price drops are normal and expected. i dont think anyone is suprised by that. but 30% in two months is a bit excessive! cars don’t even depreciate that much!

Posted by mdwsta4 on September 5, 2007 at 4:36 PM (CDT)

mdwsta4-
I understand where you’re coming from, but let’s not forget that the iPhone is competing in an entirely different market segment than it’s iPod brethren.  If Apple were to cut a particular *iPod* price by 30% 70 days after release, yea I would be a little perturbed.  But that’s not the case with the digital music player market.  That certainly *is* the case with the cellular industry.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve walked into carrier’s outlets only to find a particular cellphone price has dropped by that much only months after release.  And so it goes with Apple.

Posted by gan7114 on September 5, 2007 at 4:45 PM (CDT)

Wow, that was completely underwhelming to the point of insulting.  Jobs is really screwing the pooch lately.

iFatty nano:  Just aesthetically unpleasant.  The second generation nano was perfect.  Video on the nano is utterly useless given its capacity.

iPod “classic”:  I’m whatever about the new shell, but I like that 160GB drive!

iPod Touch:  LAME.  8 and 16GB?  That’s iPhone lame, y’all.

iPhone peeps: Shut it; you chose to purchase that piece of junk on release knowing fully well Apple’s habit of dropping the price within a few months.  You have no one to blame but yourselves.

Posted by Camembert on September 5, 2007 at 4:46 PM (CDT)

I am getting an iPod Classic (80GB) as my main music iPod, and a 16GB iPod touch to play with and take on business trips.  I thought it was a great showing by Apple. I know people tend to get very upset with announcements (remember the early reaction to the iPod nano? boy did THAT change) but I don’t think there were any big negative surprises.  I agree that the color choices are a bit odd.  I think a metalic orange would have looked great on the nano - but everyone gets a case anyways so, color it that way.

Saludos,

Posted by Alfredo on September 5, 2007 at 4:47 PM (CDT)

gan-
once again, not even the RAZR dropped that much and now it’s free. it took about nearly a year for it to come down from $300 (or was it $400) to $100 and even longer for it to be free. even in the cell phone industry nothing drops that quickly.

trust me, i’m a cell phone junky.

Posted by mdwsta4 on September 5, 2007 at 4:52 PM (CDT)

Does anyone know if the new Nano has screen brightness control?  They keep making the screen brighter without anyone controls but with video that would be horrible.  I wish the whole Nano was color, like the current ones, not just the front, that back metal scratches like crazy.  And I wanted more capacity in the Nano, my 8GB is full, without any video or games, why not make a 16GB?  Oh well, nothing is perfect, I will still buy one this weekend.  I like flash ipods so much better, the hard drives are not worth it.

Posted by jessi on September 5, 2007 at 4:59 PM (CDT)

Page 3 of 8 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›