Apple announces “One More Thing” event for Oct. 12 | iLounge News

Apple announces “One More Thing” event for Oct. 12

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, October 4, 2005
News Categories: iPod

Apple has announced a “One More Thing” event on October 12, 2005, at the same California Theatre venue in San Jose where the iPod photo and U2 Special Edition iPod were announced last year. The event, promoted to select media, will begin at 10:00am Pacific, and is named after the famed oratory trick of Apple CEO Steve Jobs, who uses the phrase as a prelude to a bombshell announcement at the close of a keynote speech. As contrasted with the blue jeans image used to tease the announcement of the iPod nano, the One More Thing event is promoted with a red theater-like curtain. iLounge will be on hand to provide coverage of the day’s announcements, which will come one day after the company publicly discloses its financial results on October 11.

image

« Pivot intros Pocket Skin for iPod nano

iLounge announces Holiday 2005 Buyers’ Guide, New Contests »

Comments

2G Nano… confirmed

Posted by Tyson on October 4, 2005 at 3:08 PM (PDT)

Yup. Jeremy, any plans to beef up the servers to allow for the traffic? As someone noticed, it’s slowed already and that’s just the announcement of the announcement.

I ahte not being able to read my iLounge.

Posted by JWj on October 4, 2005 at 3:12 PM (PDT)

Its gotta be the video iPod.

Red curtains = movie theater = movies = video iPod

Posted by James on October 4, 2005 at 3:16 PM (PDT)

I agree with James… definately iPod Video

Posted by Foof on October 4, 2005 at 3:20 PM (PDT)

i thought the nano was the next big thing…..im really sad right now, and disapointed in my runt stepson of the ipod family, Nano. i am going to go beat him now or throw him down the steps.  it was an accident. really.

Posted by brian on October 4, 2005 at 3:35 PM (PDT)

Yeah, I swore I would’nt buy another iPod till they came out w/video, but the Black 4gig Nano crushed my will.
If it is my concept of the holy grail of iPods (video and maybe in black, even? IwishIwishIwish), I won’t regret my Nano purchace. It really is a different animal entirely. I mean there was’nt an iPod I could dance with before (those shadow ads make me laugh. Only a flash player could offer me skip free play. My style of dance is kinda like mosh-slam-kick boxing kata with bellydancing added for grace)
Come to think of it, you never did hear “Nitzer Ebb” or “Sisters of Mercy” on those ads….

Posted by MirandaKali in D.C. on October 4, 2005 at 3:36 PM (PDT)

someone on engadget found this out: if you go to http://www.apple.com/whateveryouwantthistobe, it will come up as a 404. If you go to http://www.apple.com/movies, you get a 403 Forbidden access error…

Posted by edeab220 in South NJ on October 4, 2005 at 3:36 PM (PDT)

VIDEO iPOD!!!

cmon big money, no whammy, no whammy….

Posted by Wash_Jones on October 4, 2005 at 3:54 PM (PDT)

I’ve had the discussion with Dennis about doing anything we can to boost the servers. A few fun facts on that topic.

* If you think you’re upset by it, imagine about 100x that level of frustration, and that’s where I am, and where Larry is. Why?

* Larry & I actually had realtime updates from the nano launch event that didn’t go up on time because of server overload. We’ve taken some steps to avoid part of the problem, but…

* Traffic for the site is up dramatically over previous levels, especially for one of these launch events. Even when we double or triple our serving capacity, it’s not enough.

* Though my personal role in the server side of things is very limited (I just handle editorial coverage, none of the business stuff), I personally apologize for the site’s slow-downs. We have already switched hosting companies three times, radically enhanced our hardware, and done other server-side optimizations, but more (and better) needs to be done.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on October 4, 2005 at 3:54 PM (PDT)

We are working on getting extra servers + load balancing, but unfortunately it will not be in place next week. We’ll have to do our best with what we have at the moment. Traffic has surged on iLounge.com since the nano.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on October 4, 2005 at 3:55 PM (PDT)

if it is going to be video it will want to have a heaps bigger screen than what is available now. plus being able to directly connect a digital camera for on the go storage would be nice.

Posted by GoldCoaster on October 4, 2005 at 4:00 PM (PDT)

Big thumbs up on the servers and stuff, even if they won’t be here next week.

As far as the video iPod goes it’s a possibility, but I don’t think the curtain has anything to do with it.  When is the last time you went to a movie theater that had curtains?  The 70’s?

Their website may have nothing to do with iPod Videos at all, people tend to forget they own Quicktime, so a Video section isn’t all that far-fetched.

My guess is that the announcement will involve an iPod that can house small amounts of change.  It’s obvious.  Curtain = theatre = entertainment = money = change = duh.

Posted by papayaninja on October 4, 2005 at 4:03 PM (PDT)

IPOD NANO MADONNA EDITION

Posted by danielillo on October 4, 2005 at 4:04 PM (PDT)

Time to go buy a 4g ipod. The price will be cheap. Also have fun upgrading servers. I thought it was just my slow internet.

Posted by Liam (Macromedia) on October 4, 2005 at 4:07 PM (PDT)

iBOOK G5!!

Posted by lovepoke in Paradise on October 4, 2005 at 4:28 PM (PDT)

“Whether people want to buy a device just to watch video is not clear - so far the answer’s been no. Devices that do video… have not been successful yet. No-one’s figured out the right formula.” - Steve-O Jobs (Paris Apple Expo)

However much any of us want a vPod to be behind the curtain, I’m with those who think it unlikely. Apple already has its Holiday Season iPod. But If Steve Is reading I would really like an Ipod that you wont replace in a matter of two months

Posted by Christian C. on October 4, 2005 at 4:29 PM (PDT)

I don’t think it will be a video ipod. It will probably be the ipod with bigger hardrives and smaller sizes. Everytime Apple takes us by surprise in iPods, its usually been by design, not new capabilities. While there has been new capabilities, it hasn’t been as significant as the designs.

Posted by robotototobor on October 4, 2005 at 4:40 PM (PDT)

“Apple Computer recently held discussions with major recording companies, seeking to license music videos to sell through the company’s iTunes Music Store, according to a report in Monday’s edition of The Wall Street Journal.

The talks are rumored to be a prelude to a video-capable version of the iPod, which Apple has reportedly told some entertainment-industry executives to expect this fall.

According to the Journal, the music videos would likely cost $1.99 each on iTunes, with the possibility of a discount if consumers buy a music video and a song at the same time.”

A video ipod does not interest me in the slightest - plus how would battery life be with the backlight being on all most constantly?

Posted by GoldCoaster on October 4, 2005 at 4:40 PM (PDT)

EVERYTHING!!!!

Apple are going to announce the greatest one more thing ever, viz the Apple takeover of everything! The easiest way to watch anything wherever, the coolest devices in any market (be they razors or human clones) and, for all the fanboys, fast servers for iLounge.

Apple will take over the world in one fell swoop, which will be one in the eye for Microsoft, who’ve been trying for years, and Google, who have a secret plan protected by non-evilness. Apple will conquer all.

(Especially those Lilliputians, known world-conquerers)

Posted by David on October 4, 2005 at 4:47 PM (PDT)

goin by the equations put up by some guys..

Red Curtains = Movie Theater = Movies !!!

Not sure about Video iPod since Apple would love to cash the nano this holiday season, so i don’t think they will kill it’s market by launching iPod update so soon. But this more or less seems like iTunes Movie Store announcement.

... and yes, if that’s true, get ready for Video iPod in first quarter 2006.

Posted by iGo on October 4, 2005 at 4:51 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 10 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >  Last »