Apple, AT&T computer failures halt, delay iPhone 3G sales [updated] | iLounge News

Apple, AT&T computer failures halt, delay iPhone 3G sales [updated]

image

Readers and iLounge editors have experienced serious iPhone 3G activation problems this morning, resulting in the halting of hardware sales in some stores and extended wait delays in others. According to an iLounge editor in the United Kingdom, the local Apple Store had ceased sales of the iPhone 3G based on an unspecified system failure, and was taking customers’ details for later contact. In the United States, similar reports from readers suggest that customers at both AT&T and Apple Stores are in for extended waits due to activation problems.

Updated: A report from a reader direct from the AT&T Store - “All of us buyers stood around AT&T for another 45 mins, waiting for 3Gs to activate… Apple server of some kind went down, apparently. AT&T checked with their national offices, Apple in Cupertino, etc., and nobody is able to activate phones now… so we all left with hardware, but phones are non-functional… previously existing customers (i.e., those with SIMs already) still can’t activate in-store or remotely, as of 5 mins ago.”

« Apple changes Bluetooth Headset, drops Dual Dock [updated]

iLounge posts iPhone 3G unpacking, comparison photos [updated] »

Comments

Seems to be affecting 2.0 updates on original iPhones too!  Keep getting network reset.  Cannot access iTunes Download either.

Posted by John Burkhauser on July 11, 2008 at 7:23 AM (PDT)

Unable to get the 2.0 update for the iPod touch, either…every time I hit the Update button and then click “Learn More” to try and purchase the update, I get a message saying that the iTunes Store is unavailable right now.

Sigh.

Posted by Daniel S. on July 11, 2008 at 7:26 AM (PDT)

Wow…and now instead of saying the 2.0 update is available, iTunes is now telling me that 1.1.3 is the latest iPod touch software. Guess Apple either a) found a problem, or b) got so overloaded that they took it down for a while till they can fix/beef up their servers…

Posted by Daniel S. on July 11, 2008 at 7:27 AM (PDT)

GREAT!!! Damn! you apple , what the hell were you thinking releasing the 2.0 firmware at the sametime as the release of the phones? who would of thought everyone would tryin to activate and update the firmware at the sametime geee hmmm???!!!!!! they should of released the software update a few days ago. now I have a non working phone!!!!!

Posted by daivd on July 11, 2008 at 7:40 AM (PDT)

Yes it’s managed to brick my original iphone. Only get the connect to computer graphic.

Posted by george s. on July 11, 2008 at 7:42 AM (PDT)

I was in line at 3am, and 5th in the store, stood around for an hour trying to get my phone activated, they ended up sending me home to activate there. As of 9:41am CST, I am still waiting for my phone to activate. Really frustrating since they switched over my service from my old iphone to the new one, which means I can’t receive or make calls until the new one is activated.

Posted by Jon on July 11, 2008 at 7:42 AM (PDT)

Yeah, I can’t get my iPhone activated either. I thought that ATT would have learned from similar problems last year.

Posted by David S. on July 11, 2008 at 7:46 AM (PDT)

I was first in line in a small town in PA. They had a few glitches getting me activated, but eventually did. Took between 20 & 30 minutes.

I was upgrading from a previous iPhone.

All is well now.

Posted by David on July 11, 2008 at 7:48 AM (PDT)

AT&T store here in NH told me to take it home and activate from home. Hasn’t worked in the last 40 mins

Posted by Shravan Sundaram on July 11, 2008 at 7:53 AM (PDT)

I just bought my IPhone 3G 8gb ... told to bring home and activate, and haven’t been able to either.  Keep getting “We could not complete your iTunes store request. The network connection timed out”

Posted by Ara on July 11, 2008 at 8:02 AM (PDT)

Nice—my original iPhone is dead-in-the-water.  The police and firemen of Maryland salute you, Apple.  Actually, we don’t.  Let’s hope no one gets hurt out there.  Good grief.

Posted by Tony on July 11, 2008 at 8:10 AM (PDT)

FYI—Apple has decided not to answer any calls on the iPhone help line.  ATT rep as of 1045 hours was completely clueless about the outage and she had no idea what error message “-9838” meant.

Posted by Tony on July 11, 2008 at 8:14 AM (PDT)

Same deal here in Florida. Their entire network is fried for now… Tony, pull the sim card out of your new phone and stick it in the old one, that’s what I did. Just use a money clip to do it.

Posted by Bert on July 11, 2008 at 8:14 AM (PDT)

My original iPhone is a brick as well, after having tried to update it.  Tells me it can’t connect to the apple store.

In Dallas - Beto

Posted by Beto on July 11, 2008 at 8:35 AM (PDT)

I am in the U.S. and not buying a new phone but shortly after 8:15AM Eastern time I was able to update to 2.0 and it is working fine. MobileMe is working for Sync, Mail with a client, iDisk. It is slow but working for the web apps. and iTunes store seems to be fine.

Posted by Steve on July 11, 2008 at 8:37 AM (PDT)

here in vermont (with a buffalo area code) ive moved on from the -9398 error and am now getting a -4 error.

Posted by Ben on July 11, 2008 at 8:40 AM (PDT)

I was trying to update my old iphone to 2.0 and it bricked it. This stinks. I hope it comes back up before days end. After plugging and unplugging the phone into my computer I have switched to getting the (-4) error as well. Grrr.. I agree with the previous poster- What is the thought process behind releasing a software upgrade AND new product which needs the software upgrade on the same day? My issue with Apple is they seem to have no CUSTOMER loyalty. We switched our entire house to Apple products. We own 3 Macs for heavens sake, 2 iphones, 2 ipods, 2 nanos, 1 shuffle, time machine and a bunch of other crap. They seem to only be out for the NEXT thing and not taking care of those loyal to them. That is the most frustrating part for me.

Posted by Scottie on July 11, 2008 at 8:45 AM (PDT)

in florida, attemted update at 8:10 this morning and now cannot even get a screen besides emergency calls on my phone

Posted by dan on July 11, 2008 at 8:47 AM (PDT)

Here in Los Angeles and I have been having the same error all morning. I tried it again right now but have the same “-4” error as Ben in Vermont! I need my phone!! :\

Posted by Patrick on July 11, 2008 at 8:49 AM (PDT)

What I don’t understand is why preperations weren’t made for this.  They knew the launch was coming. Surely they must have beefed up their servers etc.  The system was shuting down by 8:10 in NYC. Now I’m stuck with no phone. I transferred my number from Verizon and it’s now hiding inside this really nice looking paperweight I have sitting on my desk.

Posted by Paul on July 11, 2008 at 8:50 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >