Apple, AT&T computer failures halt, delay iPhone 3G sales [updated] | iLounge News

Apple, AT&T computer failures halt, delay iPhone 3G sales [updated]

image

Readers and iLounge editors have experienced serious iPhone 3G activation problems this morning, resulting in the halting of hardware sales in some stores and extended wait delays in others. According to an iLounge editor in the United Kingdom, the local Apple Store had ceased sales of the iPhone 3G based on an unspecified system failure, and was taking customers’ details for later contact. In the United States, similar reports from readers suggest that customers at both AT&T and Apple Stores are in for extended waits due to activation problems.

Updated: A report from a reader direct from the AT&T Store - “All of us buyers stood around AT&T for another 45 mins, waiting for 3Gs to activate… Apple server of some kind went down, apparently. AT&T checked with their national offices, Apple in Cupertino, etc., and nobody is able to activate phones now… so we all left with hardware, but phones are non-functional… previously existing customers (i.e., those with SIMs already) still can’t activate in-store or remotely, as of 5 mins ago.”

« Apple changes Bluetooth Headset, drops Dual Dock [updated]

iLounge posts iPhone 3G unpacking, comparison photos [updated] »

Comments

Yeah same here. Should’ve learnt from last years debacle. But obviously that’s too simple to learn from mistakes. A paperweight is right.

Posted by Shravan Sundaram on July 11, 2008 at 11:53 AM (CDT)

Fort Worth is no better.  I wish we would hear something from an Apple rep.  They owe us that much.

Posted by Chris on July 11, 2008 at 11:57 AM (CDT)

Hats off to the owner of this site (the only place I’ve gotten the straight story) because Apple is not answering the phone and ATT has no clue what’s happening.  I have the 1st generation iPhone and now I’m getting error -4.

Posted by Tony on July 11, 2008 at 12:04 PM (CDT)

I understand that servers go down and when 3 million people all try to upgrade its a serious drag on the server so thats not what bothers me. what bothers me is that the upgrade is just a file that should be downloaded from the music store then installed. the music store is up and running but this part isnt? strange. also the 3Gs come with it preloaded so thats not the issue. if you were apple who would you be paying more attention to, the new owners of your shiny new piece of genius or the old fogies like us?

Posted by Ben on July 11, 2008 at 12:22 PM (CDT)

To answer your question Ben, Apple apparently places a higher priority on the “new” customers rather than the loyal ones. It is one of my large frustrations with this company. I love my products and don’t really want to ever switch back to MS OS but it is a consideration I might one day have to make.

God Bless America! As I type this my ipone suddenly decided to upload the upgrade and work again. Whew! Hopefully all goes well from here. Looks like Apple may be up and running a bit anyway…

Posted by Scottie on July 11, 2008 at 12:42 PM (CDT)

Apple, you really blew it!  I now have a original iPhone BRICK.  I was a first adopter last year, and only wanted to upgrade to 2.0,  leaving town in 3 hours and now no cell phone.  This is worse than last years fiasco over pricing.  At least we still had a working phone.  ATT when my 2 years are up I’m out of here.  And Apple I don’t care how great your dead phones are, never again!

Posted by Jwents on July 11, 2008 at 12:52 PM (CDT)

My iPhone finally updated, but there are still issues. For instance, there is no way right now to sync any additional content to the phone via the iTunes App store (which is understandable due to the heavy traffic in iTunes right now), but I can’t even sync my OWN content from my iTunes library. As a matter of fact, I can’t even see the content that is currently on my phone. There is no drop down arrow next to the iPhone icon in iTunes. At least I can buy Apps directly from the phone even over the Edge network.

Posted by Tenchi211 in California on July 11, 2008 at 12:57 PM (CDT)

Jwents- try again with the download. I was able to just get mine back up and restored.

Posted by scottie on July 11, 2008 at 12:58 PM (CDT)

Problem is they are treating the business like their selling Ipod’s still and not selling phones. They’ll never get the business community with problems like this.

Posted by Scarpad on July 11, 2008 at 1:02 PM (CDT)

So yea, I’ve got a brick! 10:02 as i’m typing this on the west coast. And I’m getting the “connection reset” as I’m trying to connect to the apple store.

The download and restore phone works, but try reactivating it and yea, it just bombed. So lame. Please apple your leaving this is really bad shape.

Posted by Mike on July 11, 2008 at 1:03 PM (CDT)

No dice at my local ATT store. I didn’t even try the Apple store at all. I did walk away with a paid receipt for the 16GB iPhone and will get it when it arrives next week. Love the raincheck!

Posted by Geoff on July 11, 2008 at 1:06 PM (CDT)

Thanks Scottie, Can’t get to download, already did download can’t get access to activate phone.  I’ll keep trying until I have to leave for airport.  But I stand by my commitment, never again from either company.  Reminds me of the constant problems AOL had when they were growing 15 yrs ago.  Apples’ customer service is right down there BELOW Dell now.  Can you tell I’m mad!

Posted by jwents on July 11, 2008 at 1:07 PM (CDT)

can someone help me? i just got the iphone and whenever i go 2 itunes and try 2 activate it it says server connectin timed out…any help

Posted by paul on July 11, 2008 at 1:14 PM (CDT)

They should be ashamed of themselves.  We went to the 14th Street store at 7AM to purchase an Iphone 3G. Due to the poor activation process, 7 HOURS later I had to leave for work without even making it into the store.  I am tremendously disappointed.

Posted by David Robeano on July 11, 2008 at 1:24 PM (CDT)

I just tried downloading a new app from the app store and that seemed to kick my iphone 1.0 into action and it updated… give that a try. I cant say it wasnt a fluke but it just activated finally!

Posted by Joshua on July 11, 2008 at 1:25 PM (CDT)

Ok, I was an early adopter last year. I spent 3 days getting my iPhone to activate (turned out to be an error on the AT&T side with the account info). But those that are declaring this a monumental disaster are being a bit dramatic. I have absolutely loved my iPhone since it DID activate. Apple’s service has been top notch with every call I have made to them. This is merely a wrinkle. Sure, it could have and should have been expected. But, can you truly prepare for the onslaught of activity that all the various servers are seeing right now? Who exactly COULD NOT wait a day or two to get this new phone, allowing the wave of insanity to die down and the servers to recover. chill out and enjoy the experience that the iPhone brings after the mad rush…

Posted by tmhale13 on July 11, 2008 at 1:26 PM (CDT)

I can be patient, but why brick my old iPhone while my new one won’t activate?

Posted by Keith on July 11, 2008 at 1:40 PM (CDT)

Dude -  I need my phone to be a phone ASAP. I never would have attempted to update my iphone if I knew this was going to happen. Come on Apple get it togther!! : (

Posted by Evie Smith on July 11, 2008 at 1:40 PM (CDT)

Getting the -4 error here in Florida on my first generation iPhone.

Can’t do anything other than make emergency calls to 911!

Posted by Anonymous on July 11, 2008 at 1:50 PM (CDT)

Here in Nova Scotia, Canada (2:53PM) we’re dealing with the same problem. We were told to try activating late tonight and/or tomorrow because of the heavy traffic on the servers.

Posted by Andrew on July 11, 2008 at 1:54 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 >