Apple, AT&T computer failures halt, delay iPhone 3G sales [updated] | iLounge News

Apple, AT&T computer failures halt, delay iPhone 3G sales [updated]

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Friday, July 11, 2008
News Categories: iPhone

image

Readers and iLounge editors have experienced serious iPhone 3G activation problems this morning, resulting in the halting of hardware sales in some stores and extended wait delays in others. According to an iLounge editor in the United Kingdom, the local Apple Store had ceased sales of the iPhone 3G based on an unspecified system failure, and was taking customers’ details for later contact. In the United States, similar reports from readers suggest that customers at both AT&T and Apple Stores are in for extended waits due to activation problems.

Updated: A report from a reader direct from the AT&T Store - “All of us buyers stood around AT&T for another 45 mins, waiting for 3Gs to activate… Apple server of some kind went down, apparently. AT&T checked with their national offices, Apple in Cupertino, etc., and nobody is able to activate phones now… so we all left with hardware, but phones are non-functional… previously existing customers (i.e., those with SIMs already) still can’t activate in-store or remotely, as of 5 mins ago.”

« Apple changes Bluetooth Headset, drops Dual Dock [updated]

iLounge posts iPhone 3G unpacking, comparison photos [updated] »

Comments

From the looks of it, Apple was not prepared for this, which is a shame. They nknew they were doing a worldwide launch and should have done some upgrades to the servers or staggered the release dates.

Posted by Shravan Sundaram on July 11, 2008 at 11:09 AM (PDT)

I was just trying to update. has anyone had any luck getting their old iphone to work? This really sucks

Posted by shaun samuels on July 11, 2008 at 11:22 AM (PDT)

Im in Louisiana, got my phone was also told to go ahead and take it home and activate this was about 9:15central time, still cant get into it and just like the others my old phone is already gone, so I too am phoneless!!!! I went back up to att and they told me the best thing to do would be to wait until tomorrow.

Posted by Kathryn on July 11, 2008 at 11:37 AM (PDT)

i switched from sprint to get my new 3G this morning..only waited in line for about 1.5 hours, but they too could not activate us in the store..the first 5 or so phones did super early but none after that.  my sprint phone still works until i’m able to get my new iphone to activate. here in Austin it’s obviously server overload!

Posted by jennifer on July 11, 2008 at 11:39 AM (PDT)

Yeah I am getting an error with the ITunes store “The network connection is reset”.  Can access the store without the IPhone trying to sync in.  I’m in Louisiana

Posted by Jeremy on July 11, 2008 at 11:49 AM (PDT)

be patient and keep trying, my iphone just picked back up and I’m getting the “restoring iphone from backup” message as we speak. looks like some progress.

Posted by tamara Cuellar on July 11, 2008 at 11:54 AM (PDT)

I bought my iPhone 3g 16GB Black and I’m in california. I still have problems trying to sync it to the store. I asked the girl who helped me at ATT and she said that I had to do it because she wasn’t aloud to or some crap like that. Anyways I’ll keep trying because I’m phoneless now too :*(

Posted by Joe Norton on July 11, 2008 at 12:00 PM (PDT)

I am pretty upset right now because my 2.0 update isn’t complete and second I lost my service and can’t make or recieve sale call because this 2.0 update.

Posted by Bob on July 11, 2008 at 12:02 PM (PDT)

Might be lucky, seems to be syncing. Don’t know if it activated it or not yet. Can see bars now.

Posted by Shravan Sundaram on July 11, 2008 at 12:03 PM (PDT)

I downloaded the pre-release 2.0 firmware/software update this morning…. and then stared at my unusable phone. On my seventh attempt to sync with the Apple servers for activation, it finally went through.

a little patience was needed, i guess. i was ready to throw this sucker across the room.

Posted by bryanjones on July 11, 2008 at 12:07 PM (PDT)

My phone just turned on now and is working! After I had gotten a text message it decided to work! It still wont sync in iTunes but it’s getting there smile

Posted by Joe Norton on July 11, 2008 at 12:07 PM (PDT)

Its working! as of 3:15 pm here in Vermont. thank god. it originally activated under software 1.1.4 then i ejected it, plugged it back in, let it sync then checked for updates and it went. its downloading as we speak

Posted by Ben on July 11, 2008 at 12:17 PM (PDT)

just got both of mine to activate…FINALLY!!!! YAY!...but i still have to dl the 2.0 software for the old one. but at least it is working now.

Posted by kathryn on July 11, 2008 at 12:30 PM (PDT)

Honestly, it just looks like one of those issues that you just have to keep trying and eventually it “catches” and works. I haven’t had any problems since I was finally able to unbrick the phone with the 2.0 upgrade. Everything seems to be working fine now.

I just kept plugging and unplugging in the phone to my computer. Eventually it clicked.

Posted by Scottie on July 11, 2008 at 12:38 PM (PDT)

I tried to update my ipod touch with the new software.  It erased everything but, I was warned about this.  What I wasn’t warned about was that it would completely disable my modem rendering my router and internet connection inoperable.  Fortunately, I was able to restore my system to the last checkpoint a few days ago.  Unfortunate is the fact that I began the download at work; I may end up losing my job and, my ipod is fried.

Posted by roland on July 19, 2008 at 8:41 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3