Apple audio chip supplier Cirrus reveals production snafu
Cirrus Logic, Apple’s primary audio chip supplier for the iPod, iPhone, and iPad, has disclosed manufacturing problems related to a new audio device. The Wall Street Journal reports that while Cirrus didn’t specify Apple as the customer for the new chip, the iPod maker accounts for roughly half the company’s revenue, and is therefore the company most likely to have ordered such a component. According to the report, the chips went into volume production last month, but it was determined that few were performing properly, and an even lower ratio of chips were meeting standards as production increased. “While this is unfortunate, our highest priority was ensuring that we did not prevent a successful launch for our customer, said Cirrus CEO Jason Rhode, “and we believe that we have been successful in that regard.”
While the exact nature of the new chip and its capabilities is unknown, Apple has continued to push for lower-power chip solutions, and recently has touted the ability of certain AirPlay accessories—including the recently-released Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Air—to handle 96KHz/24-bit audio. Apple has reportedly been in talks with music labels to obtain higher-quality audio files, which would offer the potential for sonic improvements that would likely be imperceptible to human ears under most conditions; the higher bitrates might be used in lossless, multi-channel audio, but not in most compressed audio files.
- Apple in talks to acquire Pinterest rival The Fancy?
- Google intros Nexus 7, Nexus Q as iPad, Apple TV rivals
- Samsung releases app to ease iOS to Galaxy transition
- Apple, Time reach agreement on magazine sales
- Microsoft unveils Xbox SmartGlass; links console to iPad, iPhone
- New HTC handsets face import delay due to Apple
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?