Apple backtracks on iPhone GPS, waits on cut + paste | iLounge News

Apple backtracks on iPhone GPS, waits on cut + paste

Speaking in an interview with PC Magazine, Apple vice president of Worldwide iPod and iPhone Product Marketing Greg Joswiak made several comments regarding the iPhone 3G and iPhone software. Following up on a The New York Times report that Apple had disclosed that “the iPhone’s G.P.S. antenna is much too small to emulate the turn-by-turn navigation of a G.P.S. unit for a vehicle,” Joswiak deemed the disclosure incorrect. “Complicated issues” are to blame for currently preventing driving navigation apps, he said, but “it will evolve. I think our developers will amaze us,” Joswiak added. When asked about the lack of cut and paste in the latest iPhone software, he said that Apple has a priority list of features, and they included as many of those as they could in the new software and in iPhone 3G. Finally, Joswiak remarked that some office suite applications may face issues due to each application having its own file space, adding that “There’s no cross-application file structure.”

« EA reveals future iPhone gaming titles, features

Apple settles Canadian iPhone trademark dispute »

Comments

I was under the impression that developers were forbidden from doing anything that used GPS. Was I mistaken in that assumption?

Posted by Brocktune in United States on July 15, 2008 at 7:39 AM (PDT)

I think they meant the Apple developers, the people who wrote the iPhone software, not just any developer who gets their hands on the SDK.

Posted by beeeep on July 15, 2008 at 8:05 AM (PDT)

I’m pretty sure if a developer and/or company stepped up and provided a viable solution for turn-by-turn using the iPhone 3G’s GPS module that Apple would not be opposed to releasing/promoting it.  It’s too much of a bragging point.  The iPhone successfully eliminated the need to simultaneously carry a cell phone, iPod/mp3 player, AND a PDA as I used to do.  It would only make sense to make an attempt to eliminate the need for a separate GPS device.  Convergence is the buzz word.

Posted by Rob on July 15, 2008 at 8:10 AM (PDT)

When my battery is used up or when I break my iPhone, I will return to the Blackberry.  The 2.0 install made me see the light.

Posted by Tony on July 15, 2008 at 11:56 AM (PDT)

It’s high time for the cut and paste feature on the iPhone, Apple!  What on earth are you waiting for?

Posted by Mark on July 15, 2008 at 1:41 PM (PDT)

Maybe an external 3rd party GPS antenna?  Anyway, I agree with Mark, about the need for the Cut and Paste functionality - it’s something I run up against almost daily. Kudos to Apple for all the other advances made from last year.

Posted by Tom Gaylord on July 15, 2008 at 2:40 PM (PDT)

iphone don’t have Cut and Paste because Apple can’t do it

Posted by atari on July 15, 2008 at 3:03 PM (PDT)

Having an SDK that contains elements that only Apple are allowed to use.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but weren’t Microsoft hauled through the European court for this very same thing - allowing their own developers access to a greater level of development functionality to ensure Microsoft applications had better functionality.

I like apple and think the new 3G iphone is a winner, but I also want to see TomTom software on the app store!

Posted by Dr Mcr on July 17, 2008 at 2:59 AM (PDT)