Apple battle over iPhone name moves to Canada | iLounge News

Apple battle over iPhone name moves to Canada

Apple has been met with another fight for the iPhone brand name by a small company in Canada. “Comwave Telecom Inc. has used the iPhone brand since 2004 to sell Internet phone service to its customers, and filed documents opposing Apple’s motion to take the name,” reports Bloomberg News. “The dispute expands Apple’s legal woes over the brand, which Cisco Systems claims to have trademarked in the U.S. The spat also may lead to delays in getting the phone to Canadian consumers.” Comwave president Yuval Barzakay said, “It’s a crucial brand for us… Our legal folks believe we’re certainly in the driver’s seat.” As previously reported, Apple is currently battling Cisco Systems over the iPhone trademark in the U.S.

« iSkin ships Duo protector for 2G iPod nano

Belch debuts carbon fiber iPod nano cases »

Comments

Posted by jsmoove007 on January 26, 2007 at 12:17 PM (PDT)

I knew this was coming.  I found their site (http://www.iphone.com)when I was doing a web search on iphone.  When I came across the site, I thought… oh boy here we go again.  I don’t know if apple can win against Cisco but it really looks like a slim chance of victory Canada unless they try to use the service vs product case.

Posted by 3rdeye on January 26, 2007 at 12:19 PM (PDT)

I just cannot see why such smart guys at apple had to even take someone elses name. Just becuase some Canadian company is small doesn’t mean they don’t deserve to be left alone.

Besides, it runs Leopard, it should be called macphone or Xphone.

Posted by mac lover on January 26, 2007 at 1:21 PM (PDT)

Comwave have used the name since 2004.  Cisco since 2005.  Apple should have checked before using other names without permission.  Just saying you’re launching a product called iPhone doesn’t mean you can use the name automatically.  That’s just plain arrogance.

Posted by JCL on January 26, 2007 at 2:00 PM (PDT)

Sorry, that should have been “survival”, not “survial”.

Posted by Jess on January 26, 2007 at 2:06 PM (PDT)

“They don’t hold a candle’s worth of profits next to apple, yet they cry like they are loosing “major” business because of this device’s marketing name.”

If the intermet service is the only service this company provides, then to them it is a matter of survial and from that point of view, yes, it IS a major business.  Just because their bottom line may not be in the hundreds of millions of dollars, that doesn’t mean they don’t have a right to exist under a name they have used for years.  And by the way, it’s “losing”, not “loosing”.

Posted by Jess on January 26, 2007 at 2:12 PM (PDT)

Who is in the wrong here?
Apple.
Who is going to win the Legal fight?
Comwave and (maybe Cisco).
Who’s are consumers going to associate with iPhone?
Apple.

When the product get’s released, all Apple have to do is sell it as the Apple iPhone in every country where they have the trademark, but in Canada (and maybe the US), sell it as the Phone. iPhone is easier to say and type than Phone, so people will still call it the iPhone.

Posted by Dan Woods on January 26, 2007 at 2:37 PM (PDT)

I never thought Apple would release the “iPhone” under that name (partially because I knew Cisco had it ™ed, and mainly because it’s crap!).

I don’t like the idea of calling it anythingPhone… it’s just so unimaginative! Although Phone would make sense, with TV and all…

Posted by Levi on January 26, 2007 at 3:10 PM (PDT)

Yeesh, it’s not like “iPhone” is such a totally amazing name that Apple’s phone won’t sell without it. Pick a new name, Steve.

Posted by Dan on January 26, 2007 at 3:30 PM (PDT)

i wonder how much publicify apple is getting from the media reporting on all of these legal name battles, and how much their legal costs are, compared with the advertising dollars they’d have to spend otherwise to get the same amount of publicity…

anyone else think this is all planned on steve’s part, to generate more recognition for the product?

Posted by iPodPhone on January 26, 2007 at 4:20 PM (PDT)

This device is more than a phone… so why even use the word “phone” in the name? I’m not going to give anyone any ideas, but it should not be called anything “phone” at all.

Posted by Tom on January 27, 2007 at 10:06 AM (PDT)

i acutally read at betanews.com that the iphone really isnt a smartphone due to apple’s close software, meaning you cant but 3rd part software on it, or make a new program on it, so in a sense its just a cellphone

Posted by chris on January 27, 2007 at 10:25 AM (PDT)

Come on Steve, pick another name.  Call it the “iThing”

Posted by JOG on January 27, 2007 at 11:50 AM (PDT)

They should call it the “apple"phone, like they have done with the “Apple"TV.
In the mean time… Alll those story about the Iphone name do A LOT of publicity. It help keep the Iphone on news site almost every day.

Posted by Jerome LeBel on January 27, 2007 at 3:29 PM (PDT)

“all these companies filing lawsuits against apple are iphony.  They don’t hold a candle’s worth of profits next to apple, yet they cry like they are loosing “major” business because of this device’s marketing name.”

Are you saying big businesses should walk all over small businesses like they dont matter? What a dumb apple fanboy!

Posted by ppt on January 27, 2007 at 7:41 PM (PDT)

That has to be the stupidest comment I have read on here. I never post but had to after reading that.

If apple came up with something and then microsoft used the name….microsoft’s profits pretty much far outweigh apples.  So in his argument microsoft wins.  Somehow I don’t think he would like that.

Apple does not own the “i” prefix…and if someone else copyrighted iphone…it belongs to them…and Apple can buy it off of them if they choose to use the branding.

But ultimately it will be the consumer who decides what is the iPhone by way of our dollars and word of mouth.

And personally I’m not going to get one.  I don’t have cingular, and honestly, I like tactile phones.  I don’t want to dial on a screen, the same way my universal remotes all have actual buttons, I want my phone to have actual buttons.

I love the design, I just hope they bring it to the next iPod, with a 80-100 gig hard drive.  That I would buy without hesitation.

Posted by Jeff on January 28, 2007 at 12:12 AM (PDT)

Question: Is the latest craze in North America is for Companies to sue other companies?

Posted by ryan10ad on January 28, 2007 at 9:40 AM (PDT)

When Apple is suing software makers to take the “pod” out of their names, it’s quite arrogant of them to simply steal the name of another product.  Perhaps they should’ve patented the “iPhone” name back in 2004 when speculations about Apple-branded communications device started to surface.

Posted by Chahk on January 28, 2007 at 9:55 AM (PDT)

Since we all knew about Cisco holding the name in the U.S. I have a feeling Apple has some type of plan or else they wouldn’t have ever announced the product under the iPhone name. Either way I am curious to see where this goes.

Posted by Kyle on January 28, 2007 at 10:38 AM (PDT)

I wonder why sharks, weasels, snakes and jackasses have not filed a class action suit against attorneys?

Posted by essbee on January 28, 2007 at 10:42 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >