Apple blames iPhone for Mac OS X Leopard delay | iLounge News

Apple blames iPhone for Mac OS X Leopard delay

Apple said today that the iPhone is still on track to be released in June, but that it will delay Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard until October. The next version of Apple’s powerful operating system was scheduled to be released this spring. Apple blamed the delay on the iPhone, saying it had to “borrow” key resources from its Mac OS X team to complete the device on time. As previously noted on several occasions, the iPhone runs a stripped-down version of the Mac operating system.

“iPhone has already passed several of its required certification tests and is on schedule to ship in late June as planned,” Apple said in a statement. “We can’t wait until customers get their hands (and fingers) on it and experience what a revolutionary and magical product it is. However, iPhone contains the most sophisticated software ever shipped on a mobile device, and finishing it on time has not come without a price—we had to borrow some key software engineering and QA resources from our Mac OS X team, and as a result we will not be able to release Leopard at our Worldwide Developers Conference in early June as planned.”

“While Leopard’s features will be complete by then,” Apple continued, “we cannot deliver the quality release that we and our customers expect from us. We now plan to show our developers a near final version of Leopard at the conference, give them a beta copy to take home so they can do their final testing, and ship Leopard in October. We think it will be well worth the wait. Life often presents tradeoffs, and in this case we’re sure we’ve made the right ones.”

« Music labels want iTunes subscription service

iLounge offers 4 iPhones, Cash as Fashion Photo Prizes »

Comments

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

Posted by JoshSpazJosh on April 12, 2007 at 4:50 PM (CDT)

“While Leopard’s features will be complete by then,” Apple continued, “we cannot deliver the quality release that we and our customers expect from us. We now plan to show our developers a near final version of Leopard at the conference… We think it will be well worth the wait. Life often presents tradeoffs, and in this case we’re sure we’ve made the right ones.”

Apple and Nintendo have so much in common. Neither will release ANYTHING before they are 120% confident that their product(s) is ready…

Posted by ahMEmon on April 12, 2007 at 5:06 PM (CDT)

...which delays my appleTV trumping mac mini home theater purchase until october.

demmit.

Posted by OnlyShawn on April 12, 2007 at 5:26 PM (CDT)

While I feel some deception not to have it tomorrow; ;)

I’d rather have a better refined OS than a shoved out the door one to make some quick buck…

Standing by… ;0

Posted by Dzign on April 12, 2007 at 5:27 PM (CDT)

WHAT?!

So no revised Bluetooth stack with support for A2DP stereo? No support for Bluetooth stereo headphones till OCTOBER?! From Apple? WTF? I know people with windoze laptops who already have support! This is unacceptable!

Posted by Manedwolf on April 12, 2007 at 5:48 PM (CDT)

Manedwolf -

So you’d rather have Bluetooth in a buggy, rushed-out version of OS X than a fully-realized product, then? People with Windows already have THAT, too, it’s called Vista.

Honestly, sometimes I think people really would rather have inferior products. It’s a much better fuel for messageboard complaining than late products.

Posted by Multimoog on April 12, 2007 at 6:38 PM (CDT)

I’ve been waiting for it to be released until I get a macbook.  This is ridiculous.

Posted by twerth5000 on April 12, 2007 at 7:45 PM (CDT)

F*CK THAT.

Now I have to decide when/if I’m buying a Macbook Pro. I wanted one by June, now I’m not even sure when I’ll ever get one.

Posted by soko on April 12, 2007 at 7:47 PM (CDT)

Quite disappointing. Another half a year to wait.

Posted by Japester on April 12, 2007 at 8:26 PM (CDT)

Sigh…....  How does one react to this?  If it wasn’t Apple, I’d blow a fuse!!!  This does confuse Mac purchases in the coming months.

Posted by BAM on April 12, 2007 at 8:28 PM (CDT)

Well, even though this sucks there are still supposed to be some important announcements at WWDC. A new MacBook Pro is supposedly on the way and possibly a 15-inch MacBook to bridge the gap between the MacBook and MacBook Pro. If Apple does in fact introduce a new MacBook Pro in June, I sure as hell will be getting one and I will just have to upgrade to Leopard when it is finally released.

Posted by FYL on April 12, 2007 at 11:31 PM (CDT)

twerth5000, I’m on your boat, too! I’ve been getting excited lately knowing that i was going to buy my MacBook when Leopard came out - but now I have to wait until October! : ( . However, if they do come out with a 15” MacBook, I might be tempted to buy one now…

Posted by Jacob Trenholm on April 13, 2007 at 12:02 AM (CDT)

I would also read into this announcement, possibly incorrectly but the year up to now gives a pretty good indication, that there will be NO new Apple products or revisions at all until this stupid phone is out on the market, which will be on June 30, not one minute before.  The total focus of Apple, Inc. is on the iPhone right now.  Once it is for sale and every unit is bought up in the first 30 minutes, then Apple will go back to working on new laptops, iMacs, Minis, and iPod models and Leopard.

Posted by ggore on April 13, 2007 at 7:24 AM (CDT)

MutliMoog, it’s not about Apple releasing an unfinished product, it’s about Apple getting distracted by a shiny thing and forgetting about their core consumers.

It IS disgraceful that a brand new MacBook Pro can’t support A2DP bluetooth headphones while Windows can!

Posted by Manedwolf on April 13, 2007 at 8:42 AM (CDT)

Who cares. Just put out a 100GB Ipod.

Posted by Melvin Toffler on April 13, 2007 at 9:50 AM (CDT)

Manedwolf, I don’t know, I could be wrong, but are computer buyers still Apple’s core consumers?

Posted by urbanslaughter on April 13, 2007 at 10:22 AM (CDT)

The delay surely will slow sales of apple computers.  Its funny how they made fun of Microsoft for delaying Vista…and here they are doing the same thing.  Of course they will give the excuse that they wont ship it until its perfect.  Thats the only thing that they CAN say without saying the truth of the matter, which is, “We f*cked up, we said a date, and were wrong (like AppleTv).  Plain and simple.

Posted by Alain on April 13, 2007 at 11:36 AM (CDT)

I don’t care about iPhone, I want Leopard.

Posted by Bonk on April 13, 2007 at 11:36 AM (CDT)

...and forgetting about their core consumers…

Who, iPod users? I thought they were the ones the iPhone is supposed to be tempting.

Posted by flatline response on April 13, 2007 at 7:56 PM (CDT)

I remember Steve saying something about this year being exciting for the mac. I wonder if this delay has something to do with that. maybe a quadcore macbook pro? Maybe new features or ideas being implemented into leopard. I’m looking foward to both the iphone and leopard.

Posted by John Boyd on April 13, 2007 at 10:24 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >