Apple blames iPhone OS instability on jailbreaking | iLounge News

Apple blames iPhone OS instability on jailbreaking

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, July 30, 2009
News Categories: iPhone

In a newly published support document, Apple has blamed a number of iPhone and iPod touch issues on jailbreaking. The article, entitled “Unauthorized modification of iPhone OS has been a major source of instability, disruption of services, and other issues,” describes a number of issues dealing with instability, reliability, security, and more. In particular, it claims jailbreaking can disrupt Visual Voicemail service, cause “frequent and unexpected crashes of the device,” lead to “accelerated battery drain,” and result in “slow or unreliable data connections,” all problems experienced first-hand by iLounge editors on iPhones and iPod touches which have never been jailbroken. After strongly cautioning against “installing any software that hacks the iPhone OS,” the article notes that “unauthorized modification of the iPhone OS is a violation of the iPhone end-user license agreement and because of this, Apple may deny service for an iPhone or iPod touch that has installed any unauthorized software.”

« iPhone devs killing future apps over Apple policies, pricing

SMS iPhone exploit leaves ‘every iPhone’ vulnerable »

Comments

Wait, my iPhone does this now, and I haven’t jailbroken it.

Posted by Nick on July 30, 2009 at 7:33 AM (PDT)

So are you in a round about way saying these claims by Apple are bogus (given you have experienced these issues on non jailbroken phones)

Posted by Navec245 on July 30, 2009 at 7:33 AM (PDT)

Apple sure seems to be on the anti-jailbreaking campaign lately.  I have all of these issues on my non-jailbroken iPhone.  Is Apple trying to use jailbreaking as a scape goat for their various hardware and shortware shortcomings?

And Dear Apple: If you’re so concerned about jailbreaking, stop doing stupid s**t like blocking Google Voice apps.  I would think this only encourages evil jailbreaking.

Posted by Byron Roberts on July 30, 2009 at 7:38 AM (PDT)

Since upgrading from a 2g with the 2.x software to a 3GS with 3.0, I have noticed much more stability.  I jailbroke a few weeks after getting my 3GS and it’s still very stable for me. I only have a few jailbreak apps on it, so maybe it’s particular apps that cause problems.

Posted by Bethany on July 30, 2009 at 8:14 AM (PDT)

So, does Apple own my iPhone, or do I?

Posted by Bryce on July 30, 2009 at 11:23 AM (PDT)

Yes, and what makes that Apple article ridiculous is that Apple is the root cause of all the listed problems.  They INTENTIONALLY modified their iPhone software to cause these problems if you jailbreak the OS.

Posted by dave on July 30, 2009 at 11:31 AM (PDT)

After spending £538 for the 3GS 32GB without a contract.. the iphone is still locked to O2. I have jailbroken the phone, so that I could unlock it to use on my T-Mobile sim.
I have had no issues with the unit, it is stable, the battery life last as much as the Blackberry Bold did, no issues with data on 3G. I only buy apps from the itunes store.
I think the previous poster is correct… having paid all this money, who owns my phone?

Posted by Clive on July 30, 2009 at 5:22 PM (PDT)

Is the denial of service thing an ultimatum for users violating the ULA? Could that mean apple would block them from accessing iTunes or even not allowing them to upload itunes drm songs onto the phone?

Posted by Harold on July 30, 2009 at 6:10 PM (PDT)

Oh yeah and I blame my house for being broken into on the people that used the door that’s not locked.OR lets plug the tub and turn on the water, let it run all night and blame the faucet for folding the basement. If Jailbreaking is this big of a problem and a security threat then this is an issue with the OS. a VERY big one if they are that vulnerable! Quite frankly I am surprised Apple has done such a bad job. They are usually a lot better than this.

Posted by Johnny on July 31, 2009 at 6:53 AM (PDT)

Apple is the No. 1 reason why people Jailbreak the iPhones…

They are control freaks that make Micro$oft look like juveniles…

Posted by MacHaggis on August 1, 2009 at 12:40 PM (PDT)