Apple: Bluetooth to be unlocked in iPod touch 2G | iLounge News

Apple: Bluetooth to be unlocked in iPod touch 2G

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, March 17, 2009
News Categories: iPod

Shortly following Apple’s release of the second-generation iPod touch, which unexpectedly added Nike + iPod receiver functionality to the touchscreen device, a hardware teardown by iFixit revealed the presence of a Broadcom BCM4325 chip with integrated Bluetooth support. The chip was determined at the time to be used for communication with the optional Nike + iPod Sensor accessory, but had no other known purpose.

During the iPhone OS 3.0 Event today, Apple announced that it would be unlocking the Bluetooth functionality of this chip upon the release of the new software, enabling features such as AD2P Stereo Bluetooth streaming, wireless gaming, and other application-to-application communications to be used by developers. It is unclear whether Apple will make all of the Bluetooth features of iPhone OS 3.0, including monaural headset support for phone calling, available to second-generation iPod touch users.

« Questions linger following iPhone OS 3.0 event

iPhone 3.0 app demos highlight new features, gaming »

Comments

Yay! I have an iPod touch 2G, I’m glad to see that the iPod touch will benefit significantly from iPhone OS 3.0.

Posted by Simon Boulle on March 17, 2009 at 1:52 PM (PDT)

knowing apple they would make the bluetooth functionality only available to users on the new software (3.0)

Posted by mikelarry85 on March 17, 2009 at 3:01 PM (PDT)

Bit of a bummer that it’ll cost us $10, but it looks to be worth it!

Posted by jandsroberts on March 17, 2009 at 3:02 PM (PDT)

So it seem like the 2nd Gen Ipod Touch has bluetooth…

What about the people who have purchased the Ipod Touch 1st generation users….We believed in Apple to take a chance on the 1st generation…If they would have let me know I would have just only bought the 2nd Gen.

Do we know for sure that 1st gen adopter won’t be let out to dry and have to purchase the 2nd Gen version?

Posted by james Parish on March 17, 2009 at 5:34 PM (PDT)

Will Bluetooth work with wireless keyboard?

Posted by jerry zurek on March 17, 2009 at 7:13 PM (PDT)

does that mean that you can play music over the A2DP Bluetooth to a car sterea head unit ???

Posted by dennis on March 17, 2009 at 7:40 PM (PDT)

@Jerry: from what I have read, no. :(

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on March 17, 2009 at 8:46 PM (PDT)

I wonder if it would connect to my bluetooth GPS dongle?  That would be cool.

Posted by Garth on March 18, 2009 at 3:07 AM (PDT)

I wonder if it will work with Skype type apps or to make VoIP calls via Bluetooth headset.

Posted by Jonathan on March 26, 2009 at 6:35 PM (PDT)

upgraded my ipod touch 2g to version 3.0,,but didn’t work with my sony bluetooth headset!

Posted by gio on June 27, 2009 at 7:08 AM (PDT)

i have updated my ipod touch 2nd to firmware 3.0 but i cannot activate the bluetooth, in fact i do not see any application for bluetooth. if there is one can someone please tell me how to activate the bluetooth on my ipod touch

Posted by Nerine on July 9, 2009 at 3:30 PM (PDT)

Ok so here’s the deal I have the iPod touch 2G with OS 3.0 and I was wondering why it is not recognizing my Nokia BH-101 Bluetooth headset I was wondering if it will only work with the specified list of compatible ones for the iPhone or not if any one can help it would be great!!!!!

Posted by Matt Ellis on July 13, 2009 at 9:13 PM (PDT)

Ok, heres the deal guys the bluetooth somewhat works. The thing is you have to use the device to search for the ipod touch 2g im still not sure how you cant transfer stuff through this bluetooth though you need wifi. It doesnt not make any sense to me.. I think personally they mixed the firmware of iphones to the ipod touch seeing that the bluetooth isnt working.

Posted by andrew on May 20, 2010 at 4:28 PM (PDT)