Apple bonds .Mac, iPhone with Web Gallery (updated x2) | iLounge News

Apple bonds .Mac, iPhone with Web Gallery (updated x2)

Updated (x3): During a special event primarily focused on the release of an updated, aluminum-bodied iMac computer, Apple CEO Steve Jobs today announced .Mac Web Gallery, a new feature of its subscription-based .Mac Internet service designed to ease photo and video sharing for users of iPhones and Apple’s iLife ‘08 suite of digital lifestyle software. Operating somewhat like photo-sharing site Flickr, .Mac Web Gallery is an extension of iPhoto ‘08 and iMovie ‘08 that publishes your photos and videos to the Internet with one click, enabling you and other users to view the content online in a special Web 2.0 interface, and add to the photo collection with a special e-mail address.

image

A new iPhone feature, “Send to Web Gallery,” enables iPhone users to wirelessly add photos to the Gallery from the road using the device’s Photos application; the feature mysteriously appeared as a new iPhone menu option, as shown above, hours after Jobs announcement. Galleries - including any video content that has been encoded using iMovie for viewing on an iPhone - can also be viewed using the iPhone’s Safari browser. In addition to requiring the $79 iLife ‘08 suite, a $100 annual subscription to .Mac will be needed to publish the Web Gallery.

Update 3: A hands-on report on .Mac Web Gallery’s integration with iPhone and iPhoto is available here.

« Macally ships TunePro speaker system for iPod

Sony BMG releases Musika iPod game »

Comments

Based on this iMac having the same form factor as the previous offerings, it would be reasonable to assume that Apple feels this is the be-all and end-all ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’ iMac design right?
Does anyone else feel like this was all very anti climatic?
I wish they’d offer a stripped down version of .Mac so I could use my @mac.com address proudly, and ask that you pay for the rest.

iLife 08 and iWork 08 look fantastic though and I really can’t wait to get my hands on them. Especially iPhoto, iMovie and Numbers.
Dan x

Posted by Daniel Nicholls on August 7, 2007 at 4:37 PM (CDT)

and just as i receive my new macbook pro yesterday with the old iwork pre-installed…go figure.  i didn’t plan on buying office for my mac, so the addition of numbers would have been nice for simple calculations not requiring excel.  oh well, that’s how it goes i guess.

Posted by franticnomad on August 7, 2007 at 5:13 PM (CDT)

I thought .mac was like 60 or 70 a year now??

Posted by Eddy on August 7, 2007 at 5:19 PM (CDT)

The new options to upload didn’t show up on my iPhone. Of course, its paired to a PC. Any thoughts?

Posted by Matt Dunn on August 7, 2007 at 6:25 PM (CDT)

Matt, that’s because you need 3 things to be able to upload photos with your iPhone:

1)  A mac
2)  iLife ‘08
3)  .Mac subscription

the upload button will appear on your iphone if you have a .mac enabled email address set to sync onto the iphone.

Posted by Thayne Miller on August 7, 2007 at 7:44 PM (CDT)

Good post T.M…. I like 1, 2, 3….

/R…

Posted by Rex on August 7, 2007 at 8:35 PM (CDT)

I don’t think anyone has iLife 08 yet but still tons of ppl already have the link ” Send to Web Gallery” so I don’t think you need 1,2,3 to get it.

Posted by A on August 7, 2007 at 8:58 PM (CDT)

ilife 08 is not required…

I don’t think they would piss on all of the PC people who might sign up for dotmac to use the service.

By the way I am a Mac user.

Posted by mstngo in New Jersey on August 7, 2007 at 9:57 PM (CDT)

I can already do this with Flickr

Posted by toby on August 7, 2007 at 10:12 PM (CDT)

So um my question wasn’t answered then. If I don’t need all of those things what DO I need?

Posted by Matt Dunn on August 7, 2007 at 10:36 PM (CDT)

I have all the required elements. I set up a gallery with iPhoto. No new menu item on iPhone. No list of .mac galleries. My iPhone has my .mac account set up and everything but the phone is completely unaware of the new function. I have the latest firmware and the latest iTunes. Anyone??

Posted by Surf Monkey on August 8, 2007 at 6:38 AM (CDT)

i feel so good about apple. esp. the IPhone, because at the start u heard many critics and this and that but apple consider every opinion and they work to satisfy the customer ,... US…

sometimes i wish that the gov would think more the same way,..lol

Posted by Dennis on August 8, 2007 at 7:06 AM (CDT)

be sure you have iphoto 7.01 installed.

I don’t know what the magic trick but the gallery option just showed up on my phone.

you need…

.mac
iLife 07
Iphone

Posted by mstngo in New Jersey on August 8, 2007 at 11:54 PM (CDT)

I have both .Mac and an iPhone, but in order to use the .Mac Web Gallery, I would need to buy the iLife ‘08 version of iPhoto (which, oddly enough, is iPhoto 7.)

If Apple were to offer a discounted iLife ‘08 for .Mac customers, not to mention iPhone customers, I would probably buy it. However, being told to spend an additional $79 at this point rankles enough that I am instead going to cancel .Mac.

Posted by GregD on August 10, 2007 at 7:11 PM (CDT)

I added a photo “roll” to web gallery using iPhoto ‘08. I should really have added the album which I had properly formatted. How do i delete or unpublish parts or all of Web Gallery and publish the correct album instead??

Posted by johnwolmer on August 10, 2007 at 8:22 PM (CDT)

There are two ways to unpublish an web gallery album, First, you can go to iPhoto preferences and select web gallery. Select the album you want to delete and click on stop publishing.  Second you can simply highlight the gallery that is posted from the left hand list of albums (see the bottom list for your web gallery albums. Select the one to delete and hit the delete key.

Posted by PhilipA on August 12, 2007 at 6:04 AM (CDT)