Apple boosts iPod classic storage to 160GB | iLounge News

Apple boosts iPod classic storage to 160GB

Apple today announced its latest update to the iPod classic. The new model—the third iteration since the hard disk-based model was given the “classic” moniker—features a 160GB drive, up from 120GB in the prior model, but retains the same dimensions. In addition, the new model retains the $249 price of its predecessor, and remains available in both silver and black finishes. The new iPod classic 160GB is available now.

« iPod nano 5G gains larger screen, video camera, FM radio

iPhone OS 3.1 adds BT Voice Control, Genius for Apps, Ringtones »

Comments

I have a full 160GB iPod and wished Apple would have announced 250GB model. I have ~500+ CDs in Apple lossless and about 500 iTunes Plus music videos on it. I also have an 80GB model and my “audio only” collection doesn’t fit. I’ll probably buy the new 160GB model and keep the videos on the original one and the CDs on the new 160GB unit (Apple could have made this easier, too. - they treat music videos the same as audio-only files in the library and there doesn’t appear to be an easy way to tell iTunes to sync only music videos to a particular iPod - the other way around is easy, though). I hope Apple has corrected the random “pause” issue (only happens with audio-only items) with the new 160GB model.

Posted by MadMetalManiac on September 10, 2009 at 8:06 AM (CDT)

I’m just glad that they didn’t discontinue the hard-disk iPods, as the rumor mills were predicting.

Posted by otaku on September 10, 2009 at 9:15 AM (CDT)

I think Apple have missed a trick here by not giving the ‘classic’ more of a makeover. It’s great to see the capacity increase (when will enough, be enough?)and time will tell if money has been invested in the sound quality as well as other technology. I really think the classic looks dated next to the rest of the range and considering Apple’s design expertise and the obvious lack of investment this must spell the end of the classic iPod, i would be shocked to see this model still in the range next year. I would have loved to see the classic have a redesign in a Nano-like shell, which would bring it bang up to date and create a new identity for the range. People will always want a big capacity iPod but the classic smells of some corner cutting by Apple. Love the new Nano and capacity hikes, roll on next year.

Posted by Mikeerac on September 10, 2009 at 9:29 AM (CDT)

Sounds like everyone is obsessed with capacity and not sound quality and this is a shame.

Cos I had the 120GB classic and flogged it because frankly it sounded sh1t, esp. compared to my iPod nano ‘fatty’, even with lossless files and a good pair of buds.

I frankly couldn’t care less about capacity when it sounds so horrid.

So I’m getting a touch 64GB, end of story. I don’t give a fvck about FM or camera anyway.

Posted by manicm on September 10, 2009 at 10:23 AM (CDT)

I plan to eventually use my iPods with the Wadia i170, so the more capacity, the better. My “old” 160GB iPod has better sound quality than my newer 80GB iPod, only the 80 doesn’t have the random “pause” problem. I had an older 80GB iPod (5G?) that sounded better than both of them (before it died).

Posted by MadMetalManiac on September 10, 2009 at 1:35 PM (CDT)

Perhaps they’ve ‘reverted to a two-year old standard’, but the old 160s never really functioned as 160s, I can’t load mine with more than 125 before it starts malfunctioning. Hopefully this is a real 160.

Posted by AndoDoug on September 12, 2009 at 12:34 AM (CDT)

Hmmmmmmm a 160 GB Classic. I already have that and its full so I am not really impressed. When can we get a touch that is 300GB or more? The wait is killing me.

Posted by Keleigh Starr on September 14, 2009 at 8:57 PM (CDT)

All the Hi-Fi reviews are very clear - the Touch and iPhone sound output through dock connectors is vastly inferior; I use a 160GB Classic with an RCam R Dock in place of a CD player playing all lossless files - anything else is a compression travesty and no Hi-Fi.

It took me ages and re-recoding my entire collection at vast expense to do this. Some have commented on the previous gen’ 160GB reliability in the past so once I made the commitment to digitise my collection I had to buy more - second hand as Apple downgraded max capacity to 120GB on the last Classic releases. So I bought two second hand at vast expense but in very good condition and I use all three. I also have a 30Gb Video iPhone and Nano and the sound output via the dock is vastly superior on the Classic,

Anyway I was one of the people who wrote to Apple begging for more capacity (I should say ‘reverting.’) My collection is 5100 songs and 141 Gb big, showing 8Gb spare - usual nonsense ‘capacity vs stated capacity’ - but how can you ‘lose’ 11 GB?

If only the better interface of Touch / iPhone was available with both the sound quality and capacity of Classic….

Posted by Wireless Voyager on October 10, 2009 at 1:45 AM (CDT)

I’d like to see more capacity - 500 Gig Ipod would be great.  Now with more FLAC files available, I’m converthing to Apple lossless and the playback is amazing.  I can’t see going back to MP3 unless I simply must.  As soon as they release a 500 Gig Ipod, I’ll be ready.  Come on Apple, give the audiophiles and true music lovers some help!

Posted by Jazzman on May 8, 2010 at 2:26 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2