Apple changes 90 day telephone support policy for iPod | iLounge News

Apple changes 90 day telephone support policy for iPod

ThinkSecret.com recently reported that Apple has changed its 90 day complimentary phone support for 4G iPods and minis (sold after July 24) to one incident within the first 90 days. The following appears on Apple’s iPod FAQ page:

Question 29: How long is iPod complimentary telephone support?
Answer: Newer iPods come with a single incident of complimentary telephone support within the first 90 days. This change in the complimentary support offering applies to:
iPod (Click Wheel)
any iPod minis sold on or after July 24

Previous models of iPod (such as the Dock Connector and Touchwheel models), as well as iPod minis sold before July 24, still come with 90 days of complimentary support (covering unlimited incidents).

« Digital Age Products releases FM Transmitter and speakers for iPod

Apple’s iPod division seeking wireless and video experts »

Comments

Now Apple is slowly starting to irk me in a very bad way.  First they don’t address the static issue, then after returning my engraved ipod to Apple Service, they told me it’s a 21 business day wait, now one of the main reasons I chose the Ipod over the IRiver, the customer service, is being cut down to one incident in 90 days???  Is it me or is Apple slowly going the way of another big computer company,

I would rant and give a better argument but my fingers are tired.  Hehe just venting peoples.

Posted by xKandinskyx on August 25, 2004 at 6:52 PM (PDT)

There Apple goes again.

Lets see how many Apple fanboys can defend Apple on this one. A one, a two, a three…

Posted by Not a fanboy on August 25, 2004 at 7:01 PM (PDT)

If you need more than one call, you’re prolly a stupid PC user anyway.

Posted by Fanboy on August 25, 2004 at 7:12 PM (PDT)

I think this is crap.  Apple is taking a step in the WRONG direction with this move.  I will now take my Consumer Reports article on computer support, and draw an arrow from the top to the bottom, and use that as my guide.

My first and only call to apple support on the iPod lasted 50 minutes, and nothing was resolved.  I solved the problem myself, after wasting time on the phone with them…

Posted by bikepodmini on August 25, 2004 at 7:18 PM (PDT)

I Just Learned A Lesson From This Article. “Don’t Buy An iPod”
Im Going Off To Buy A IRiver

Posted by 20GB iPod in Canada on August 25, 2004 at 7:36 PM (PDT)

Apple’s generosity seems to be going the way of the passenger pigeon.

Very sad.

What is this new business model? Pull in tons of new customers with a deceptively cheaper (read: no case or remote) iPod, hope that they get the Apple bug, increase the G5 customer base, then offer all the new folks shoddy pay-per-gab support? Yikes.

I’m about to buy a 4G tomorrow, but the more I read, the more I am bothered by recdent developments. Seems like deja vu. I used to bea hardcore Apple user until 1997 or so, when their support and business models became grotesque.

And here I was hoping to be wooed back.

Posted by aoxomoxoa on August 25, 2004 at 7:40 PM (PDT)

does the IRiver have 90day telephone support?

and even then why would you choose a second rate mp3 player over an iPod? just because you only get to call in 1 time during the first 90 days. most people wouldnt even use that 1 call/

relax people, its not the end of the world, Apple is just trying to keep cost down, as in $299 for a 20gig iPod vs $399 a year ago.

Who uses the phone service anyways?

Posted by Ariza on August 25, 2004 at 7:46 PM (PDT)

Who needs Apple’s phone support when you have the lounge? You won’t find better service than this websyte…

Posted by tymeflame in room on August 25, 2004 at 8:18 PM (PDT)

Anyone who defend Apple with this kind of act is either a rabid fanboy or just plain stupid (no offense).  Apple customer service was/is never good (just acceptable at best) IMO and this make it even worse. Apple product is priced at the very high-end (think IBM top-of-the-line for a equivalent PCs or laptops) and their service IMO is not even good (fot the record, based on my experiences, IBM service is far better than Apple service, your might be different). Heck, 1 incident per 90 days for a new iPod. This is a good way to knock themself down. What will happen if a customer call them the second time in 90 days because “their” product doesn’t work right. Will the customer support says “Oh, I’m sorry, sir but this is the second incident and we have to charge you $49 per incident or you can pay more to get our protection plan.”

If you sell a product, you should warranty that it is without defects and the craftmanship/workmanship is at the bare minimum acceptable. Argument like this will help apple keep cost down is just pathetic. What will they do next? Sell product without any warranty of any kinds?

Sorry dude, but this move by Apple is really bad. Bad for customers but good for Apple.

Posted by mm on August 25, 2004 at 8:19 PM (PDT)

Note that this happened when Jobs was away. Heh.

Posted by anon person on August 25, 2004 at 8:27 PM (PDT)

The suits strike again…they should get back to re-inventing the music industry…

Posted by BizPod in Phoenix, AZ USA on August 25, 2004 at 8:43 PM (PDT)

Its really a way to push their Apple Care warranty.

Its really interesting how it works, you scare consumers into a warranty.

You tell the customers, hey you know with this ipod you only get one incident within the first 90 days, and you know those wacky ipod batteries…you better get Apple Care and you get unlimited incidents and free battery replacement if it goes out within the warranty coverage.

And then its like, wow this warranty really makes tons of sense

Warrantys are like pure profit…and now a 249 ipod = a 300+ ipod.

Its just another way to make more money.  Does it suck, yah.  Can you blame a company for wanting more money…no.

Shoulda woulda coulda…is all you can really say, and in the end we all pay for it anyway.

Posted by more $$$$$ on August 25, 2004 at 9:24 PM (PDT)

This is awful. I think that has tipped the scales for me. When my 3G Ok To Disco iPod finally gives up the ghost (in about a year going by battery reports) I’ll be going to a competitor.

Although to be fair, Apple Tech Support is crap. I never got a useful bit of info from the calls I had to make when I got my iPod. The helpdesk operators were clueless and I ended up solving stuff myself.

And they’ve never fixed OK To Disco!!!!

Posted by Chris Matchett on August 25, 2004 at 9:44 PM (PDT)

This definetly is a step in the wrong direction. Sure, this is a very minor matter, but small things can lead to other things that can eventually end up causing a big deal.

Posted by Not good on August 25, 2004 at 10:52 PM (PDT)

If service and warranties are your concern, then buy an ipod at Best Buy, and get the 2 year service plan for 20 bucks, and even though it says “service”, Best Buy considers all MP3 players DOA items which means if something is wrong bring it back and they will replace it or give you store credit for something else, so you don’t have to ship it out and wait a month to get it back. I just did that with my iriver 120, i made up a problem and they gave me store credit, now since i bought the iriver when it first came out (back when it was $400 i broke even on the ipod, and you can be assured that 2 years down the road something will go mysteriously wrong with my 4th gen and I’ll swap it out as well : )  Gotta work the system

Posted by socaldj on August 26, 2004 at 12:17 AM (PDT)

Even Dell has better support than that….despite the fact you are on hold forever..
Sad.

Posted by kgirl on August 26, 2004 at 1:01 AM (PDT)

socaldj, you’re the reason people cut their support down nowadays. :(

Posted by rav on August 26, 2004 at 1:28 AM (PDT)

Saw an article last month about how Best Buy is developing a “bad customer” list. (based on problems, returns, etc) Guessing that eventually socaldj will find himself near the top of it.

Posted by ocjoe on August 26, 2004 at 2:38 AM (PDT)

This is really nit-picking and foolish of Apple, IMHO. I understand the need to pay attention to the bottom line, but when such a huge percentage of one’s marketing is about getting people to make a “switch,” one ought to make that experience as painfree as possible. The upside of a good first experience is a multi-year commitment to more Apple products and services to the tune of many $1000s. The downside of a bad experience is $0 in return from that customer (and their friends), perhaps for life.

Posted by SC on August 26, 2004 at 3:43 AM (PDT)

Those of you talking about iRiver, don’t glorify it. I had one and now have an Apple simply because if you try to collect on the warranty they will do NOTHING AND NO MORE for you. If you try to get anything, you will get put through hoops. They first tell you to call the distributor, who tells you to call the retailer, which of course knows no better and tells you to call iRiver.

The bottom line is that iRiver says they are not a service center and they mean it.

Posted by iRiver Loser on August 26, 2004 at 4:49 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >