Apple changes 90 day telephone support policy for iPod | iLounge News

Apple changes 90 day telephone support policy for iPod

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, August 25, 2004
News Categories: iPod

ThinkSecret.com recently reported that Apple has changed its 90 day complimentary phone support for 4G iPods and minis (sold after July 24) to one incident within the first 90 days. The following appears on Apple’s iPod FAQ page:

Question 29: How long is iPod complimentary telephone support?
Answer: Newer iPods come with a single incident of complimentary telephone support within the first 90 days. This change in the complimentary support offering applies to:
iPod (Click Wheel)
any iPod minis sold on or after July 24

Previous models of iPod (such as the Dock Connector and Touchwheel models), as well as iPod minis sold before July 24, still come with 90 days of complimentary support (covering unlimited incidents).

« Digital Age Products releases FM Transmitter and speakers for iPod

Apple’s iPod division seeking wireless and video experts »

Comments

I’m not surprised at all.  I’ve had my 3G for a little over a year and have been VERY disappointed in the touted “great” customer service.  I STILL have problems they’ve never been able to resovle for me.  Apple Customer Support is terrible.

And now, with so many iPod owners, there are a couple new factors that make this a predicatable move on their part:

1. Too many iPod owners to handle the flood of tech support calls.
2. They feel that they now own the standard for mp3 players, so people will buy an iPod no matter how bad the customer service is.

For years I heard of the wonderful customer service Apple provides, and since buying this iPod I’ve never seen it.  Now this just confirms that it truly SUCKS.

Eddie

Posted by Eddie on August 26, 2004 at 11:20 AM (PDT)

Great move Apple, continue to insult the consumer. (I can’t wait for some other manufacturer to come out with a player that will make it easy to put it inside of your car with a line out connection.) It’s amazing how much the fanboy’s defend Apple and even go so far as to claim that Jobs is totally innocent of this entire issue.

Posted by Shadow Skill on August 26, 2004 at 11:33 AM (PDT)

Is Best Buy a good option for purchasing? Sure, if you like to gamble. The Ohio attorney general has just announced a suit against Best Buy for selling repackaged used products as new products.

I don’t doubt, based on my own experience.

I had a Best Buy extended warranty on a minidisc recorder/player that stopped recording. When I returned it I explained clearly that 1) it no longer recorded, and 2) I forgot the bring the battery if they needed it. No problem, they said, just select a replacement unit.

When I returned two days later I was shocked to find my defective, batteryless unit on the shelf for sale. The sign on the package (as is Best Buy’s custom) indicated a price that the unit had sold for in the past 60 days, but that was bogus because the item hadn’t been on the shelves for more than a year.

I would trust Best Buy as far as I could spit.

Posted by Nicolas on August 26, 2004 at 11:42 AM (PDT)

“iRiver - why would you choose a second rate mp3 player over an iPod? “

The versatile iRiver iHP-120 (40GB) brings advanced features into a casing only a hair larger than the white Apple iPod’s. It has just about every input and output that the power user could ask for: excellent battery life, a fully functioning in-line remote with an LCD, and excellent playback/recording quality.

The iRiver iHP-140 has a full suite of recording features. The device accepts both analog and digital optical line-level inputs (for recording from stereos or other devices) for audio recording, and it has both internal and external mikes for voice recording. All inputs can be recorded to WAV or MP3 at the standard bit rates. There’s no volume-level meter, and gain can be set for only the external mike, but you can monitor recordings as they happen in order to set the appropriate level at the source.

The playback outlook is equally rosy, with outputs for digital optical and analog line-out—great for connecting the device to any type of sound system. The company includes a full selection of shuffle, repeat, and equalization features. We configured custom settings, then toggled through them (as well as the presets) from the playback screen. The DSP settings were the best we’ve seen to date. In addition to five EQ presets and custom bass/treble controls, you also get SRS settings for spatialization effects and TruBass, both of which can be configured with extreme precision.

The features list runs too long for us to include everything, but the highlights are: a sleep timer; balance; a hard drive-activity indicator light; automatic gain control for voice recordings from the internal mike; the time; the ability to read any text file on the screen; resume on/off; a patch cable for analog input/output connections; and support for an astounding 39 languages.

Posted by iRiver - another editor's choice award on August 26, 2004 at 12:12 PM (PDT)

Where do those of us who ordered an iPod (Click Wheel) that was shipped by July 20th stand in this issue? (I haven’t had a problem; I’m just curious.

Posted by my on August 26, 2004 at 12:47 PM (PDT)

Apple’s support is a joke. I just bought a decked out G5. If I have problems with this purchase I’ll end up switching. That would totally suck b/c I use Logic and I have no desire to learn a new audio platform even tho I’m still a beginner with Logic.

Here is an example from Apple’s so-called Genius desk.
I was told by the ‘Genius’ that “techno” tracks (not EDM mixes mind you, but “techno tracks” b/c everyone that knows what they are talking about still refers to everything as techno) drain the battery prematurely. The liar also told me that non-itunes encoded mp3s can drain the battery.
Also, the liars say you should encode at 160 aac for maximum battery life. The liar then told me her boyfriend is an audio file and he “has been into it for 15 years and he can’t tell the difference between a 160 and a 320.”

I wonder how scripted that last line is. If you can’t tell the difference between a 160 encoded mp3 and a 320 then you have no idea how to listen to music. Maybe he was listening on the OEM headphones.

They want me to take all the files off my ipod and put one 160 aac on repeat and see how long it lasts. I currently get 4 non-edm albums before the battery craps out (2.5 hours or so?).

If the iRiver had a better interface and accessories I’d buy it and sell my iPod due to battery life and b/c of the liar at the ##### desk.

Posted by scot on August 26, 2004 at 2:03 PM (PDT)

See my main concern regarding this whole issue is that I sent in my 4G Ipod with the static problem.  If my second one comes, they’ll be like, “did you already use up your one free call…. oops too bad.”

And in anycase, most companies give you at least a 30 free customer service.  Another thing, I bought my Ipod Aug 1st.  Now I remember not seeing this anywhere on that faq when i was looking up info to purchase the ipod.  If they enacted this new policy, shouldn’t the dates match up?  If they just enacted the policy, than shouldn’t it read all ipods and ipods mini sold after Aug 25th or something?  I can’t help to think they falsed advertised when i purchased my ipod…. Oh well, I was considering converting to Apple, but this seriously gives me second thought.  What next?

Posted by xKandinskyx on August 26, 2004 at 4:55 PM (PDT)

::edit::
If the second one comes with the same static issue again…

Posted by xKandinskyx on August 26, 2004 at 4:56 PM (PDT)

Like I said at the beginning of this thread… “A one, a two, a three, ...”

And no “Fanboy” ... I own a MAC and a PC

Posted by Not a fanboy on August 26, 2004 at 6:13 PM (PDT)

socaldj does that actually work?!?  I’m gonna have to try that!  Can’t beat a new ipod every 2 years…or with the windows music store opening soon who knows what will be out by then!

Posted by Awesome!!! on August 26, 2004 at 7:10 PM (PDT)

Wow.  Apple fanboys still don’t see it, huh?

Once they get your money, they don’t care about you.  You cease to exist.  And they do *NOTHING* to deserve your loyalty.

I cannot wait for someone to make a real honest-to-God iPod killer.  I’m gonna switch so fast it’ll make Apple’s head spin.

Posted by stark23x on August 26, 2004 at 7:17 PM (PDT)

You’d think the sort of people who need to call up more than once in 90 days would be the very sort of people that you’d want to treat extremely well in their contact with the company. You’re hardly giving them a good image if they have numerous problems with the product, and then are told that they’ll only be helped out once.

Posted by Spence on August 26, 2004 at 8:06 PM (PDT)

Go here if you want a free ipod! Just complete the AOL offer and then get five friends to do the same! Trust me, it works!

Posted by Free Ipods! on September 16, 2004 at 3:21 PM (PDT)

Anyone else experienced this problem when the screen wont return to the mail menu screen?  This is odd and its terribly annoying

Posted by Anyone encountered problems returning to the main on September 20, 2004 at 1:14 AM (PDT)

OK, for whomever was bosting dell customer service to be better then apples, I cannot agree with you. I have had a 3g Ipod for a year not a single problem yet so I have not tested apples support (maybe aIpod aren’t as defective as people think if you are carful to use them properly). However I had my dell desktop PC for 6 months when it crashed and the harddrive was wiped out, they tryed to recover it but were unable, refused to give me a new one said that it was fixed. 3 months later exact same problem they couldn’t recover it ,and they wouldn’t give me a new unit. I however refused to take back the faulty unit and took my buisness elsewear.

Posted by Dells Good, Don't make me Pee my pants on October 5, 2004 at 8:46 AM (PDT)

Hell, They tried to get me for $49 for tech support for my Mac that is still under the one year warranty. It’s just criminal the way they try to scam you with that expensive protection plan! It’s just great to know that after you spend over $1600 on a product that all you get is a 90 day free tech support. Man… Talking about feeling cheated! Good going Apple!

Posted by Judgecutioner on July 7, 2007 at 3:48 PM (PDT)

Page 3 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3