Apple changes iPhone 3G line policies, opens stores at 8 am | iLounge News

Apple changes iPhone 3G line policies, opens stores at 8 am

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, July 28, 2008
News Categories: iPhone

image

In an effort to manage extended wait times and customer uncertainties as to their eligibility to purchase iPhone 3G hardware, Apple has made significant changes to its retail store line policies, and has started to open its retail stores at 8:00 a.m. Monday through Saturday. An iLounge editor visiting a Florida-based Apple Retail Store this morning found that employees are now pre-screening iPhone 3G customers to help smooth the purchasing process, and giving pre-screened customers cards which entitle them to a particular model of iPhone 3G, for pickup immediately or as late as 6:00 p.m. (4:00 p.m. on Sunday) that day.

Apple’s website states that the company is “adding staff to help you get up and running as quickly as possible;” it is unclear how long Apple plans on opening the stores early.

« Vaja debuts iVolution for iPhone 3G

iSkin rolls out revo2 for iPhone 3G »

Comments

I just have to say-I love my iPhone and I HATE AT&T;.  The difference in operating philosophy between Apple and ATT is unbelievable.

How many black eyes has ATT given to APPL?

I nearly switched back to T-moible several months ago-but really wanted to wait for the 3G.  Other than AT&T;, I love it.  But with so many “false starts” on free wireless at Starbucks, the whole activation nightmare (my story has got the be the longest, not worth documenting here), and the legendarily bad customer service at AT&T;-I just wonder how much longer Apple will stick with them.  Probably forever, just because they are GSM, but I believe that AT&T;tarnishes Apple.

Posted by Enigmafan420 on July 28, 2008 at 8:12 AM (PDT)

Not sure why my post has all those semi-colons?  Didn’t type them on the original smile

Posted by Enigmafan420 on July 28, 2008 at 8:13 AM (PDT)

Monday morning, Atlanta’s Northpoint Mall store, 8 a.m., only a dozen 3G customers in line. Quite a few struck out during the pre-qualification (former AT&T;bundle deals, business accounts, etc.) but others sailed through. I am a previous iPhone owner on a family plan (with my spouse’s iPhone) and I was “pre-qualified”, then skated through the transaction in about 10 minutes.

Posted by David Scott on July 28, 2008 at 9:09 AM (PDT)

I noticed this yesterday in the Tukwila, WA store.  Funny thing was, my girlfriend and I arrived at 9:30, so we were the second people in line anyway.  The manager of the store let the iPhone sales start early, so we were in and out before the store even “opened”.

Posted by Paul on July 28, 2008 at 10:34 AM (PDT)

TYPO:
“started to opening”
I dont think so.

Posted by Jon on July 28, 2008 at 10:39 AM (PDT)

I was a bit peeved at Apple for having displayed their store hours opening at 10am on their iPhone stock locater page, only to get there at 10 am and realize they have been open for 2 hours and already sold out.

I see they changed their webpages to reflect the new store times.  Finally.

Posted by Craig on July 28, 2008 at 12:10 PM (PDT)

Our Sydney Apple Store in Australia opens at 8:00 AM every day, not because of the iPhone, but that’s just the standard opening time. I thought all the US stores would be the same.

Posted by Japester on July 29, 2008 at 4:57 PM (PDT)