Apple changes iPod photo packaging, de-emphasizes “photo” | iLounge News

Apple changes iPod photo packaging, de-emphasizes “photo”

picIn releasing newly affordable iPod photo hardware, Apple Computer has changed the product’s packaging to a thinner and highly attractive black and metal foiled design. Metal foil is used for the box’s front text, while an all-black matte background highlights the metallic luster.

The new packaging, which you can see more fully with the Read More button below, dramatically de-emphasizes the word “photo” on its front, reducing it to a tiny badge underneath the letters “PC.” This contrasts markedly with Apple’s new iPod mini packaging, which continues to grant the word “mini” equal prominence with the iPod name.

pic

« XtremeMac to unveil extensive list of iPod shuffle accessories

Mix: iTunes pricing, eCost, Gold mini, Hello Kitty »

Comments

Well I think it would make sense to call it iPod color, because its the music, not the photos that matter, and plus, you can do other things than look at photos, like album art. iPod color sounds good, looks better than iPod photo, and says, “You can do more than just music and photos with it”

Posted by maxman on February 25, 2005 at 4:48 PM (CST)

Just bought a new iPod photo 40gb for $349 from Apple.  Yes that’s right.  They’re selling for $379, and I used the $30 promo that Apple gave me when I bought my iPod 40 2 weeks ago.  So the b/w 40 is on eBay and I’ve the a color iPod for less than I paid for the b/w.

sweet.  And my Apple stock split.

Posted by rossco63 in seattle on February 25, 2005 at 9:49 PM (CST)

They de-emphasise it because the want to make the Photo iPod feel more of the iPod type as in normal ones instead of making customers recognize it as a whole new different thing,and now since it is 30gb,it IS more like other models.

Posted by TheCritic in Mumbai,India. on February 26, 2005 at 8:03 AM (CST)

My guess is the iPod photo will become the standard for that size iPod.  Soon all iPods will have “last names”.  The iPod mini will be the base music model.  The larger iPod will be known as the photo and be the top of the line.  The shuffle will remain the most basic player.

Why do this?  Apple is forcing those who want 30GB or more storage to pay for the photo version.  It helps cover their bottom line.

I’m glad I have a 40Gb “plain” iPod (3G).  Now you can’t even buy a 40Gb model of any kind.

Posted by Eriamjh on February 26, 2005 at 8:58 AM (CST)

Rossco63, how did you get one for 379????? I looked at hot deals, nothing. Is it online or at a store?

Posted by maxman on February 26, 2005 at 12:31 PM (CST)

I think that they did it because they wanted an excuse not to bundle the AV cables anymore :(

Seriously, the “photo” option is pretty much useless without the AV cables! Leaving that part out of the default package was an annoying move IMHO.

Posted by ultimatebob in CT on February 26, 2005 at 4:14 PM (CST)

It wasn’t an annoying move at all. If you don’t care about the A/V cable then you don’t want to pay for it. Even if you *do* want the cable, adding it to the package, and perhaps even a dock and firewire cable if desired, still nets a lower price than the old package. Who loses out in this deal? Yeah, for the 30 GB that’s 10 GB less than before, but it is thinner, which is more important to me than the extra 10 GB - my music collection would fit on a 20 GB iPod, so a 30 GB iPod gives me plenty of breathing room. YMMV. Anyway, the point is that they are re-packing the iPod photo as a color iPod at a lower price point, photo features optional. That makes sense to me.

Posted by sjonke in Maryland, US on February 28, 2005 at 9:03 AM (CST)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2