Apple confirms October 4 iPhone event | iLounge News

Apple confirms October 4 iPhone event

image

Apple today has invited select members of the press to a special “Let’s talk iPhone” event for the next-generation iPhone. As previously reported, the event will be held on Tuesday, October 4 at Apple’s Town Hall Auditorium on its corporate campus in Cupertino, CA. The invitation includes four classic iPhone icons, showing the Tuesday date, 10:00 (AM/Pacific) event start time, Infinite Loop location, and Phone app with the number “1” next to it.

Apple is widely expected to introduce at least one new iPhone at the event, and will also likely announce a release date for iOS 5, as well as one or more new iPod models, although no specific reports related to the latter have surfaced in recent months. As the company occasionally hides hints in the icons and text of its invitations, it’s possible that the event may focus solely on a single new iPhone model, rather than the two that have been rumored for some time.

« Griffin announces TechSafe Case for iPad 2

Skype adds Bluetooth support »

Comments

“1” could also refer to a unified iPhone, i.e. GSM and CDMA capability.

I suppose it could also refer to a single iOS version (there are currently 2 versions, one for GSM and one for CDMA—perhaps 3 versions if you include ATV).

Posted by rockmyplimsoul on September 27, 2011 at 1:57 PM (CDT)

I’ve got jury duty next week, so here’s hoping I don’t come home on Tuesday to remark, “That’s it?”

Unless they really are going with the most extreme rumor mongering and jettisoning everything except the iPhone, I don’t get the evidently narrowly limited event this late in the year. You’d think you’d want to do something a little bigger for the 10th anniversary of the iPod than what, so far, appears to be little more than single theme event at a smaller venue and later in the year than any i-Device event has taken place in six years.

They’ve got my attention, definitely curious, but I am in no ways optimistic.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on September 27, 2011 at 3:18 PM (CDT)

Please be Sprint iPhone. Please be Sprint iPhone. Please be Sprint iPhone. Please be Sprint iPhone. Please be Sprint iPhone. Please be Sprint iPhone. Please be Sprint iPhone. Please be Sprint iPhone. Please be Sprint iPhone. Please be Sprint iPhone….

Posted by Daniel S. on September 27, 2011 at 7:51 PM (CDT)

Have to agree with CodeMonkey. Strange for such an eagerly-waited announcement to be held in October, at a smaller-then-usual venue and to a ‘select few’>
I’m not holding my breath.
Perhaps the clue’s in the date and phone icon - 4 and 1.
One new iPhone 4!!!!

Posted by Jon Myles on September 28, 2011 at 12:57 AM (CDT)

Maybe I am not reading to much into this. The 4 is simply indicating October 4th and the time is indicating that it will be at 10 AM.  The location shows One Infinite Loop, which is the address of the Apple campus in Cupertino.  The Phone with the “1” is what appears when it indicate a new call was received.  I am reading it to imply one new phone is coming.

With that said, I have to agree somewhat with the #2 comment.  This being the 10th anniversary of when the original iPod was released, I was really hoping for more.  Hell, I would not mind seeing a special 10th anniversary edition of the iPod Classic, perhaps in a unique color scheme and with something like a 250 gig capacity.  That is 50 times the capacity of the original iPod (which had 5 gigs when first introduced - can’t recall if the 10 gig version came out a little later or not).  I guess we’ll see what actually transpires this next week.  At the very least, I am kinda looking forward to getting iOS 5 on my iPhone 4 and iPad 2.

Posted by SkiBumMSP on September 28, 2011 at 10:53 PM (CDT)

Have to wait for Tuesday to see what comes out, but it does occur to me that this could indeed just be a small iPhone event (even though the iPhone is the biggest seller any more, the iPhone announcements have been decidedly less “showy” then the iPod ones) to get that out of the way and Apple will hold a second event for iPods closer to the actual 10th anniversary (Oct 23). Since they don’t send out invitations until a week before, it’s entirely possible: Let Cook bust his cherry on a more staid, smaller announcement, so he can warm up for the “really big show” a few weeks later.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on September 29, 2011 at 9:48 AM (CDT)

#6 You have a good point that if there are going to be any new iPods, maybe they will be announced later this month on the “true” 10th anniversary.  However, in light of the news that the “click-wheel” games have been taken away, I wonder if my hopes of a special 10th anniversary edition of an iPod Classic may be fading quickly.  Here is hoping for a 128 gig iPod Touch.

Anyway, in light of the recent news of the “whoopsie” on that German site showing the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4, as well as that little tid-bit of finding the listing and icons within the latest beta version of iTunes, this is what I think is going to actually happen tomorrow:

Apple will indeed release a new iPhone, the iPhone 4S.  There will be no “iPhone 5”.  I think a “true” iPhone 5 will be a full-fledged 4G/LTE capable model that will probably come out sometime in the second half of next year.  This iteration will not be 4G/LTE capable.  I think the iPhone 4S is going to pretty much look identical to the current CDMA version of the iPhone 4, with the glass front and back, except with a micro-SIM slot.  At least that means existing cases/bumpers should fit.  It will have the upgraded memory and processor as already hinted at and probably even this NFC thing as well.  I think there will be that 64-gig version as hinted at by the German site as well, as well as the 16 and 32 gig versions.  I am certain it will also this new speech command thing that was also mentioned.

In addition, the iPhone 3GS will be retired and the current iPhone 4 will become the new “budget” model, perhaps being that 8 gig version that was already hinted at.  Will they keep around the 16 and 32 gig versions as well?  I doubt it (wanting people to instead get the new version), but who knows.  And that will be it.  No new ‘tear drop” designs, no aluminum back ala the iPad 2, and no 4G/LTE.

But, as I have already said, I guess we’ll find out for sure tomorrow.

Posted by SkiBumMSP on October 3, 2011 at 3:36 PM (CDT)