Apple contacts BusinessWeek writer over iPhone 3G article | iLounge News

Apple contacts BusinessWeek writer over iPhone 3G article

Following a posting yesterday expressing confusion and disappointment over AT&T’s iPhone 3G plans and pricing, and its decision to charge separately for SMS text messaging, BusinessWeek writer Arik Hesseldahl was contacted by Apple regarding the article. Hesseldahl writes, “So Apple called today, a little annoyed with my portrayal yesterday of AT&T’s iPhone pricing.” Hesseldahl defends his position on the non-inclusion of SMS messaging, saying, “Is this a mistake on AT&Ts part? I certainly think so.” He goes on to suggest that the extra charges for messaging will lead to greater adoption of native and web-based instant messaging solutions, while noting that AT&T is not alone in its need to streamline its wireless pricing plans to make them easier to understand and more convenient for consumers.

« Vaja debuts cases for iPhone 3G

PurpleTalk launches advertising service for iPhone devs »

Comments

I agree. I think it’s ridiculous how these mobile telecommunication companies structure their phone plans. Sprint seems to be the only one that has gotten it right so far. $99 all inclusive all unlimited. Data, texting, minutes. That’s the way it should be, especially considering what they’re charging for text messages.

Posted by frank on July 2, 2008 at 5:34 PM (CDT)

Did Apple call to apologize for AT&T’s plans sucking so much?

Posted by ort on July 2, 2008 at 5:47 PM (CDT)

As far as SMS goes-they are a TOTAL RIP OFF.  Even an “unlimited texting plan” is a total hose-job.

There is no way that a 255 character text message uses even a measurable amount of the network’s bandwidth, but the cost to send a text message is infinitely higher than a voice call-which clearly does use network bandwidth.

All USA carriers are reaming their customers with text charges-because they can-no one has complained enough.

I had my canceled on my AT&T family plan, and when I called to have texting de-activated, you would have thought the customer service rep’s father had died.  The person literally tried to talk me in to keeping it and sounded hurt that I demand they turn it off.  But when I have to pay 20 cents for a SPAM-forget it-time to turn it off.

Posted by Enigmafan420 on July 2, 2008 at 6:01 PM (CDT)

I couldn’t agree more. I thought the rest of the plan was OK, but separating text is really ridiculous. Has anyone heard a rationale? My friends from the rest of the world can’t believe how backward our cellular plans are…

Posted by jwrca on July 2, 2008 at 7:37 PM (CDT)

Far more disturbing is Apple reps felt the need to contact a writer critical of a particular business model, not to clarify details or refute points, but apparently to apply some pressure and/or try to control the PR.  Corporate monolith as overly-sensitive Big Brother?

I’m going back to smoke signals…...

Posted by Gary Denton on July 3, 2008 at 1:01 AM (CDT)

The one and only reason I’m not plunking down $399 to upgrade to a 16GB 3G iPhone from my old 8GB is the SMS charge. I’m on a family plan and I only use about 50 SMS/ month, so it means paying $20-30 extra per month in addition to the $10 data plan increase. No thanks! Not only is Apple losing sales because of this, but now I am one angry AT&T customer and I will jump ship the first chance I get!

Posted by Victor on July 3, 2008 at 3:46 AM (CDT)

I was really impressed with the first iPhone and service plan. Had it been like a typical phone, no doubt we would have seen the carrier cripple or lock out at least half of the phone’s features and charge at least $30 more for service.

I got the impression from the very beginning that Apple was trying to keep the carrier from screwing us over too badly (which I suspect is the reason that Verizon took a pass on the offer). Now that ATT is subsidizing the phone, they have the bargaining power - which is now evidenced by the increased rates and excluded features.

Posted by Paul on July 3, 2008 at 4:50 AM (CDT)

Anticipating the 3G iphone I tried to justify my reason for owning an iPhone besides the no-brainers, seeing that I seldom use my RAZR.  Well, looks like AT&T made it clear that I have no reason for the investment, I can’t shell out additional cash for the outrageous rate plan excluding SMS from their packages.  Unacceptable.  As soon as my contract expires, bye-bye AT&T.  Hope anticipating customers enjoy their new 3G regardless of the inconvenience.

Posted by hw4 on July 3, 2008 at 8:38 AM (CDT)

somebody gotta pay for the 3G network upgrade LOL

Posted by junior on July 3, 2008 at 9:03 AM (CDT)

I agree with hw4.  I am a current AT&T customer and had made a firm decision to upgrade my regular cell phone with a 3G iPhone. But when I saw the new rate plan I completely changed my mind.  There is no way I’m getting locked into two years of a completely overpriced plan.  I’ll let others willingly hand over their money for the privilege of holding an iPhone in their empty pockets.

Posted by Obadiah on July 3, 2008 at 10:00 AM (CDT)

You should look at what Roger (Canadian’s only GMS provider)‘s plan for iPhone 3G. You will see how bad it is over here. People going up in arms over the sad truth that mobile provider is milking us for every penny we have. :(

Posted by Justin on July 3, 2008 at 11:27 AM (CDT)

I was ready to upgrade on July 11th.  And I was going to give my old iPhone to my wife.  Which would have meant a second data plan, hence more money for AT&T.  Then AT&T released the details of its new subscription plans.  RIP.  OFF.

No 3G upgrade for me for now.  And no iPhone for my wife.

Thanks AT&T.  Greedy wankers.

Posted by Quix on July 3, 2008 at 1:47 PM (CDT)

Like others posted here, I was planning to take July 11th off from work, stand in line, and get my iPhone 3G.  As soon as I saw the AT&T rates, and I looked at my budget, there was no way I could swing it.  AT&T, you made a big mistake here.  You lost so many potential customers.

I am really bummed.  I was so looking forward to a G3.

Hecate

Posted by Hecate on July 3, 2008 at 2:10 PM (CDT)

No offense to anyone, but no one gets an iPhone (or any PDA device) because they are looking for a cheap deal. Just like buying a Porsche, expect to pay through the arse for the privilege of owning.

Posted by Dale Reeck on July 3, 2008 at 2:54 PM (CDT)

I don’t mind paying FOR THE PHONE-20 cents per SMS message, that uses almost NONE of the network’s bandwidth, is a RIP OFF.

And since I have a family plan-my choice is a la carte pricing at the low, low price (NOT) of 20 cents or $30 MORE PER MONTH that the $150 base price.

UGG I know that North America is the only region where these outrageous SMS charges occur-Why are we getting the shaft on these?

Posted by Enigmafan420 on July 3, 2008 at 3:12 PM (CDT)

I think you all complain a little too much. Ever see the other AT&T smart phone plans, they’re identical to the iphone.  No one forces you to buy and iPhone, if it is too expensive dont get it, simple!  I really dont understand the fuss anyway, I hae an iPhone, and lets be honest, it is a phone people. Thats is, it wont change your life!

Posted by Chris on July 3, 2008 at 5:14 PM (CDT)

The “quit whining” argument really doesn’t work here.
Raising the cost of service while removing features is a standard but unacceptable operating procedure for AT&T. I got my first cellphone 9 years ago with Southwestern Bell, which turned into Cingular, which turned into ATT Mobile. It’s been nothing but higher bills and lost features every time we re-up. Their response is that “We don’t even HAVE that plan anymore!” when we ask why some feature has been removed or reduced.

My wife and I love our original iPhones, and the $20 extra is acceptable, but we won’t be upgrading simply because it has to stop somewhere.  It’s a 75% increase for the data plan when you include reclaiming the lost txt msgs.

Or 1st gen iPhones are fine, but when they die that’s it for AT&T.
They WILL make nifty little Touch alternatives so we’ll use them around the house.

Posted by RCB on July 3, 2008 at 6:03 PM (CDT)

I wanted the iPhone as well, the AT&T plan turned me off.  I voted with my wallet and bought a new Blackberry World 8830 for my current Alltel plan.  Of all the plans I’ve had, Alltel is the best and I won’t switch to the iPhone plan (and exhorbitant cost).

Posted by firefox23508 on July 3, 2008 at 6:52 PM (CDT)

Calm down everyone… when buying a 3G enabled smartphone, AT&T has NEVER let you use it without buying the data plan, which has been $30 for a few years now.

Data connections over EDGE have always been $20.

The new iPhone plane the exact same price as all their other phones, except they took out the SMS (which I agree is a stupid thing to do).

Quote: “Raising the cost of service while removing features is a standard but unacceptable operating procedure for AT&T.”

That’s like saying you had dialup, bought a DSL modem, and are pissed that the price increased.

Posted by ironicmoustache on July 3, 2008 at 7:16 PM (CDT)

@ironicmoustache,
You quoted me, and that’s nice, but here’s the bottom line.
Will you be able to get an Edge plan with the new iPhones? If so, then I stand corrected. Oh, and if so, will you still get 200 txt msg plan included? If so, then I retract my statement.
Otherwise anyone buying an iPhone after they’ve sold off the old stock will experience
“Quote: “Raising the cost of service while removing features “
if they are unable to get an Edge package on the new iphones.
The difference between 48kbps Dialup and 3500kbps is a poor analogy. Jobs claims it will be twice as fast, that just means it will only be 1/2 as painful waiting for a page to load. Hardly the difference one experience moving from dialup to DSL!

Posted by RCB on July 3, 2008 at 10:15 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >