Apple cracking down on ‘podcast’ use | iLounge News

Apple cracking down on ‘podcast’ use

Apple is reportedly cracking down on the use of the term “podcast.” Wired News reports that Apple has sent Podcast Ready a cease and desist letter, claiming that the terms “Podcast Ready” and “myPodder” infringe on Apple’s trademarks. Apple claims that the two terms could cause confusion among consumers. Meanwhile, ZDNet’s Russell Shaw reports that Apple is seeking a trademark for the term “iPodcast” and that the company “has been experiencing some significant difficulties getting final approval from the USPTO for the iPod trademark.” In the last year, Apple has gone after a number of companies for using the term “pod” in their name or in the name of their products.

« Music Showcase all-weather speaker system debuts

Embroidered PodDress case for iPod nano announced »

Comments

In related news, Al Gore is aggressively going after several large companies such as NetZero and Netflix who use the term ‘net’ in their name. “Everyone knows I invented the internet,” says Gore. “These companies’ names are confusing consumers and taking away from the integrity of my invention.” Meanwhile, Gore has revealed plans to trademark the term “iInternet”.

Posted by ptzink on September 25, 2006 at 12:16 PM (CDT)

Holy cow this is lame. I understand why they’re doing this and it’s fine if they want to have a copyright for “iPod”.  But seriously, this whole trademark thing over the word “pot” is insane.  Did they try this with the “i” when they first introduced the iMac and the the other “i” products?  Now they want to control the term “podcast”?  Screw them…

Posted by df57 on September 25, 2006 at 12:21 PM (CDT)

I can see the need for branding protection, but “podcast” has become such a common part of the vernacular. In fact, calling something a “podcast” encourages people to use iPods…I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to explain you don’t even need a PMP to listen to one.

Posted by Jeff Martin on September 25, 2006 at 12:35 PM (CDT)

I think I speak for us all when I say “EWW!”
They didn’t invent the phrase, and it is the property of the public.

Posted by Liam on September 25, 2006 at 12:42 PM (CDT)

I’m not sure if this was discused. But did Apple go after iLounge when it was first known as iPodLounge?
I know iPodLounge gave the excuse that they wanted to broaded their coverage on electronics and such. But someting tells me that that was all BS and that they actually just gave into an Apple lawsuit.

Posted by EM on September 25, 2006 at 1:58 PM (CDT)

First of all, I’d like to mention that Duncan once had the exclusive rights to the word Yo-yo, but because it became so common, they lost the trademark.
From Wikipedia: “If such a mark becomes synonymous with that product or service to the extent that the trademark owner can no longer enforce its proprietary rights, the mark has become generic.”
They can’t expect for no one to use “Pod” anymore, because they didn’t create the word “Pod” or “Podcast,” and no one on Earth says “iPodcast”.
Second, I’d like to point out that Al Gore never said he invented the internet, he said he helped create it. GE doesn’t invent lightbulbs, they create them. Gore never said he invented the internet, he created it through federal funding.

Posted by Michael P. on September 25, 2006 at 3:17 PM (CDT)

Going against the grain here I was against Apple going after everyone using “pod” in their product names (because what better mens of locking the aftermarket maker to the product), but I feel Apple does deserve the right to clamp down on the use of “podcast” as they have grown the media delivery method into what it has become.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on September 25, 2006 at 3:30 PM (CDT)

FahrenheiPod 451, change your alias or we’ll own your butt just like we own any and all variations of the word or words containing pod.

Posted by Applegal on September 25, 2006 at 4:12 PM (CDT)

All Apples media affiliates are probably pressuring Apple to get rid of Podcasts.
Podcasts, and other Alternate Media Sources are Undermining the Oligopoly of the Mainstream Media Sources.
Steve Jobs ridiculed the production quality of Video Podcasts at the recent Special Event; just before showing a clip from Rocketboom, and just after waxing Poetical about Mainstream TV Shows.

Posted by Salvo.Dan on September 25, 2006 at 4:17 PM (CDT)

Also, maybe Steve wants more control over what gets played on iPods and the iTV.
Low production quality would diminish the User experience, and as everyone knows, Steve is obsessed by User Experience.

Posted by Salvo.Dan on September 25, 2006 at 4:23 PM (CDT)

Seems problematic at best, and not terribly smart.  It seems very likely that the “pod” part of “podcast” is there because of the iPod, regardless of what other explanations are offered, but that being said, it’s come to be used much more generically and yet still has an implicit reference to the iPod, so even as as “podcast” has become widespread, it serves as a sort of an advertisement for the iPod.  I don’t know why Apple would want to shut that down.  Not to mention that Apple is complicit in the very copyright infringement it’s trying to prove by supplying a “podcast” section in iTunes.  If Apple is successful, podcasters everywhere will have to agree on a more generic name, Apple will lose the brand-association, and Apple will be labeled the bad guy for exerting ownership over a word that Apple did not create.  It just seems like a bad idea all around.

Posted by Rob E. on September 25, 2006 at 4:54 PM (CDT)

Easy Michael, you must have missed my tongue planted firmly in my cheek. The whole Gore/Internet thing (misunderstanding) was just used to illustrate a point. Apple, like so many other money hungry companies, has gone off the deep end. I can’t wait until the ever decreasing life cycle of my 5G iPod is up, so I can throw it away, fill a landfill, and buy from a different company.

Posted by ptzink on September 25, 2006 at 5:06 PM (CDT)

Oh forgot, that end part was me being sarcastic. I really don’t enjoy products with short life cycles nor do I enjoy filling land fills. I don’t want anyone to misunderstand me.

Posted by ptzink on September 25, 2006 at 5:11 PM (CDT)

Applegal,

That’s okay because I own the rights to the word “the,” but haven’t decided when to enforce them.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on September 25, 2006 at 6:16 PM (CDT)

NOW will people start believing that Apple is not all about hipster communists who are totally cool and so not evil like Microsoft is evil?

Posted by Iie on September 25, 2006 at 10:47 PM (CDT)

Apple are worse than Microsoft.  The public are starting to wake up to this fact.

Imagine just how evil Apple would be,if they were bigger than Microsoft?!?

Posted by Tone on September 26, 2006 at 9:57 AM (CDT)

I hear Apple is retro-actively going after “Invasion of the Body Snatchers” for the use of “pod” in the film.

Posted by superape on September 26, 2006 at 1:01 PM (CDT)

Sorry about that, ptzink. My mistake.

Posted by Michael P. on September 26, 2006 at 3:31 PM (CDT)

No prob, Michael. We are both on the same page (as are the majority of people) on this issue. Apple is out of their mind. How far is too far is the question. How long will it take for consumers to turn away from Apple because of their ridiculous marketing techniques and turn towards other brands? They had better wise up and get off of their throne before they get burned.

Posted by ptzink on September 26, 2006 at 8:28 PM (CDT)

Wow, why not lets leave this whining to Bill Gates and his bunch. Everytime the word ‘pod’ is mentioned anywhere is just money in Apple’s pocket.

Posted by Rick on September 27, 2006 at 10:13 AM (CDT)