Apple debuts fifth-generation iPod touch at $299/$399
The fifth-generation iPod touch was introduced today by Apple at a media event in San Francisco. Confirming part leaks and rumors, the new model includes a 4” Retina display, a new aluminum back with a rear flash and microphone alongside the iSight camera, and an A5 processor. It weighs only 3.1 ounces, and measures 4.86 × 2.31 × 0.24”, the thinnest and lightest iPod touch yet released.
In addition to black and white versions of the new iPod touch, pink, blue, green, and red versions have been added as firsts for the family, each very similar from the front to the fourth-generation model thanks to the use of only white or black painted glass bezels. Headphone port and speaker holes on the bottom are joined by a new Lightning connector port, replacing the prior 30-Pin Dock Connector and requiring an adapter for old accessories. Bluetooth 4.0 and 802.11n dual-band support are now included, along with major camera improvements—a 720p FaceTime HD camera on the front and 1080p / 5-Megapixel iSight camera on the rear. Siri and AirPlay mirroring have been added for the first time in an iPod touch.
Unusually, a swirled metal button on the bottom left of the back turns out to be a camera hole-sized nub for a wrist strap called “iPod touch loop” to attach. Each iPod touch comes with a color-matched loop wrist strap, as well as EarPods, Apple’s newly redesigned earphones, and a Lightning to USB Cable.
The new iPod touch will be available in October for $299 (32GB) or $399 (64GB), with pre-orders to begin on September 14. Apple will continue to sell fourth-generation iPod touches for $199 (16GB) or $249 (32GB).
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- FREAK security flaws still present in popular iOS apps
- Device able to access iOS 8.1 through brute-force attack
- Microsoft to bring Cortana to iOS
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 3 to developers (Update: iOS 8.3 Public Beta also released)
- Apple releases iOS 8.2
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?