Apple debuts fifth-generation iPod touch at $299/$399
The fifth-generation iPod touch was introduced today by Apple at a media event in San Francisco. Confirming part leaks and rumors, the new model includes a 4” Retina display, a new aluminum back with a rear flash and microphone alongside the iSight camera, and an A5 processor. It weighs only 3.1 ounces, and measures 4.86 × 2.31 × 0.24”, the thinnest and lightest iPod touch yet released.
In addition to black and white versions of the new iPod touch, pink, blue, green, and red versions have been added as firsts for the family, each very similar from the front to the fourth-generation model thanks to the use of only white or black painted glass bezels. Headphone port and speaker holes on the bottom are joined by a new Lightning connector port, replacing the prior 30-Pin Dock Connector and requiring an adapter for old accessories. Bluetooth 4.0 and 802.11n dual-band support are now included, along with major camera improvements—a 720p FaceTime HD camera on the front and 1080p / 5-Megapixel iSight camera on the rear. Siri and AirPlay mirroring have been added for the first time in an iPod touch.
Unusually, a swirled metal button on the bottom left of the back turns out to be a camera hole-sized nub for a wrist strap called “iPod touch loop” to attach. Each iPod touch comes with a color-matched loop wrist strap, as well as EarPods, Apple’s newly redesigned earphones, and a Lightning to USB Cable.
The new iPod touch will be available in October for $299 (32GB) or $399 (64GB), with pre-orders to begin on September 14. Apple will continue to sell fourth-generation iPod touches for $199 (16GB) or $249 (32GB).
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 4 to developers, adds Apple Watch support
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- Apple found not guilty in iPod, iTunes Store lock-in suit
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 2 to developers
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.2, fixing missing ringtones issue
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- Report: Bank verification methods leave Apple Pay vulnerable to fraud
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Apple outlines limited HomeKit support for non-HomeKit accessories
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio Case for iPad Air 2
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015