Apple debuts fourth-generation iPod shuffle | iLounge News

Apple debuts fourth-generation iPod shuffle

Apple today debuted its fourth-generation iPod shuffle, bringing back physical buttons while retaining the VoiceOver feature of the third-generation model. The new model is smaller than its predecessor and more square in shape, with the company’s familiar ring of control buttons on the front, a dedicated VoiceOver button on the top, doing away with the need for an in-line button to activate the feature, and a clip on the back. Genius capabilities have also been added to the device. The fourth-generation iPod shuffle will be available next week in five colors and will sell for $49, with 2GB of storage capacity.

The new iPod shuffle measures 1.14” by 1.24” by 0.34” including the rear clip, with a weight of 0.44 ounces. The top notably features a small dot next to the headphone port that looks like the microphone hole of an iPhone 4, though the device has not been described as microphone-capable in Apple’s materials. It continues to use a custom USB charging and synchronization cable that connects to the headphone port, preventing simultaneous listening and charging; Apple promises 15 hours of audio playback.

« iPod nano 6G announced with Multi-Touch interface

iOS 4.1 brings bug fixes, HDR photos, Game Center »

Comments

Wow, back to the future… I always thought the 2nd generation of these nailed the design.

What storage capacity/capacities are offered now?

Posted by Farnsworth on September 1, 2010 at 3:59 PM (CDT)

So there’s hope that the Nano might get the clickwheel back with the 7th gen model? I have a 2nd gen shuffle (orange) and it’s nice to see the best shuffle design make a comeback. Let’s see if Apple fixes the “mistake” they made with the Nano today next September.

Posted by Teddy on September 1, 2010 at 4:29 PM (CDT)

I wonder, is it still possible to use headphone with a remote and mic? Other than VoiceOver, this functionality is what I really loved. I didn’t have to look for my shuffle to change songs, it was always on the headphone. If they retained it, I’ll be looking forward to buy all the colors.

Posted by Oscar M. on September 1, 2010 at 8:25 PM (CDT)

WTF is up with Jobs?

2GB for a Shuffle?

$149 for a Nano which is really a Shuffle with a touch screen?

Do they even do consumer research anymore or is Jobs such a confident nut-job now that he thinks he can tell us what we want?

I’ll be buying my girlfriend a 4GB previous generation Shuffle and will skip this go around.

FAIL!

Posted by Danny on September 2, 2010 at 9:32 AM (CDT)

I think the small dot you are referring to is the indicator light.  From previous generations, it flashes green, yellow and red depending on the situation. For example, battery status or skipping through tracks.

Posted by Oscar M. on September 3, 2010 at 6:41 PM (CDT)

I don’t like that the headphone jack is on the same end as the shuffle buttons…

Posted by Sid32 on September 4, 2010 at 10:36 AM (CDT)

New design squish the rectangle to more squarish? Sorry it’s 2nd generation enhanced. I like the design of 2nd gen, have two. This one has added features, but Apple could have skipped 3rd generation and jumped right to this. The color choices, clip-on design, compact-put-it-in-any-pocket design is the best for a shuffle. Cute, but my older shuffles will suffice, never the less. But I am still glad the best design is back.

Posted by Sue on September 5, 2010 at 3:24 AM (CDT)

I liked the 3rd gen iPod Shuffle its small and compact it was pretty awesome I even stopped using my regular 30g ipod. I’d hoped that when they released the new one it would be just like the 3rd but it wouldnt be limited to the Apple earphones.

Posted by Alex on September 5, 2010 at 5:43 PM (CDT)