Apple debuts iPod Photo and U2 iPod | iLounge News

Apple debuts iPod Photo and U2 iPod

picThe iPod Photo (40GB, $499 and 60GB, $599) is Apple’s new top-of-class iPod hardware, holding up to 25,000 digital photos and featuring 15 hours of Music Playback or 5 hours of Slideshow playback. The same general physical size as current iPods but slightly thicker, and with a color screen, the iPod Photo now syncs with iTunes 4.7 (released today) for music and pictures, integrating with iPhoto, Adobe photo programs, and Windows’ My Pictures folder. It features a dock with Audio and Video out, a 1.4m AV cable, and a black carrying case. It ships today.

pic The U2 iPod, also called the iPod U2 Special Edition ($349) is a 20GB black and red iPod with the engraved signatures of U2’s band members Bono, Larry Mullen, Adam Clayton and The Edge on the back. Available in three weeks, the new iPod will not include U2 music as widely rumored, but will include a $50 voucher for purchase of a new Apple “Digital Box Set” called “The Complete U2” with over 400 U2 tracks, including all of U2’s albums and a collection of rare and unreleased tracks. The Complete U2 will sell for $149.

« Apple launches EU iTunes Music Store

Apple to announce AAC+ »

Comments

I can now hear my 3g 20gig hard drive failing after this announcement. I want an iPod Photo.

Posted by NoName on October 26, 2004 at 12:23 PM (CDT)

I think some of your info is slightly incorrect.  Might want to check again on photo syncing and photo ipod size. :)

Posted by Will on October 26, 2004 at 12:25 PM (CDT)

Can’t wait to see how the data is organized on the iPod (i.e. Photos folder or something…) and if the new iPods have faster processor to handle all these images. I wonder if they’ve improved the other apps in the iPod besides just adding color to them.

Posted by kainjow on October 26, 2004 at 12:39 PM (CDT)

N. Michigan Ave. Apple Store in Chicago reports that they won’t have the new iPods for a week. I think the guy who answered the phone might not even have known there were any new iPods, considering how long it took him even to say “... 60-gig iPod?”

Posted by Bob S. on October 26, 2004 at 12:51 PM (CDT)

I’m not a big U2 fan, but I’m really feeling their iPod.

Posted by specialx on October 26, 2004 at 12:59 PM (CDT)

dang though. 600 hundred bucks for an iPod. Whats the big deal about photos anyway. The two things that caught my eye are the 15 hour battery playback and the cover art displayed when songs play. Those make me jealous from my 3rd and 4th gen iPods. Still though, cant see why photos are so important for a musicplayer.

Posted by lupinIII on October 26, 2004 at 1:15 PM (CDT)

If you look at the color screen you can see the options for Music and Photos.  This explains the previous reorganization of the main iPod menu.

Posted by Matt M. on October 26, 2004 at 1:24 PM (CDT)

I just put my order in for a U2 iPod.  My poor, beloved 1st gen will be replaced in 3 weeks!!

Posted by JNelson on October 26, 2004 at 1:27 PM (CDT)

Ready set go…......all the 4g’ers can start their whining now. I’m glad I held off on the original 4G’s. So here is the question now, are the iPod Photo’s going to be classified as 1G iPod Photos, 4g iPod, or 5g iPod?

Posted by BigFil on October 26, 2004 at 1:30 PM (CDT)

the U2 is the coolest looking iPod ever, I do agree. But how will scratches show up on black? and also, 50 bucks more than a comparable 20gig 4th gen, so, that 50 dollar coupon is really not free at all, your paying for the coupon itself, and then have to pay another hundred for U2s collection. I think not. U2 sucks, and their signatures ruin the most beautiful iPod known to man.

Posted by lupinIII on October 26, 2004 at 1:31 PM (CDT)

The color is impressive, and the battery /  album art is great—I’m concerned about the initiation of this generation and the newness of it.

I truly hope that Apple sends 4G some firmware updates soon…

500 bucks for 40G is VERY nice, but steep for many

Posted by mflat5 in USA on October 26, 2004 at 1:47 PM (CDT)

i love this

people have said that the ipod is nice because its white and that black looks generic
now they release a black ipod and its “The most beautiful ipod…”

also iriver was dissed for using a color screen saying that you wanted your ipod for music and nothing else… now ipod has a color screen and you all love it and think its amazing

Posted by thats funny on October 26, 2004 at 2:04 PM (CDT)

I’m very excited about this product. I take a lot of photos, and I already use my existing 4G (and prior to that my 3G) to temporarily store them. But every so often I’m in need of the ability to display photos in some location other than locally on my computer. Web sites have built-in limitations; connecting my computer to a local TV is impractical. I’ve taken my iBook on the road with me and been able to plug it into a TV and display photos using iPhoto…this is a much more practical way. Kudos, Apple!

Posted by lkalliance on October 26, 2004 at 2:11 PM (CDT)

The U2 version looks disgusting. I personally don’t like U2, but was hoping that they would make something really special of this “special” edition. Ho hum. Not bothered….

Now… The colour iPod is something else. The difference that colour screen makes is astonishing. No better word. I don’t even care that it can show photos - who realistically looks at their photo collection on the train every morning?!?

However, showing album art is a lovelly touch, and the whole ipod interface just seems to leap to life with those splashes of colour on the title bar / battery meter e.t.c. - still, don’t think I’ll be trading in my 4G. It stays in my pocket most of the time so a colour screen wouldn’t add that much joy to my life at the moment…. If I were new to ipods, however, I’d snap one up ASAP. Lovelly stuff.

Posted by James on October 26, 2004 at 2:11 PM (CDT)

I’m not whining. I love my 20gb 4g and would buy it over the iPod photo if given the choise now.
I just can;t see myself looking at photos and listening to music at the same time.

It is quite expensive.

But yes, looking at album art would be nice, when my iPod isn’t in my pocket.

Posted by thume on October 26, 2004 at 2:28 PM (CDT)

Apple has done it again…  Kudos indeed, its a nice integration of all the features.  Way-to-go Apple.  I better buy some stock in that company before its too high!  ;-)  Well, looks like its time to sell my 3G 40GB and get this, cause its exactly the same size as what I have now!  Sounds great.  Sign me up…

Posted by apple juice on October 26, 2004 at 2:46 PM (CDT)

I would trade in my iPod mini for a new ipod photo, but 1) I dont feel the need to look at my photos or album art whilst listening to music, 2) love my ipod mini very much and 3) am not made of money.

Posted by Robin m on October 26, 2004 at 2:48 PM (CDT)

I think it is a fairly niche product.  A lot of people couldn’t care less, but I’m sure a lot of people really want one.  I would get it only to show album art, but not for a hundred bucks more.

Posted by supercarrot900 on October 26, 2004 at 2:50 PM (CDT)

Concerning the iPod Photo, Robin m hit the nail on the head.

As for the U2 iPod, it does look good.  Nice try with the extra $50 on the price tag and the $50 coupon, though.  It’s a nice bonus for U2 fans, though I’m sure most of them will already own all of U2’s albums anyway.  Will the iTunes Music Store sell the unreleased tracks individually?

I’m in absolutely no hurry to get rid of my existing iPod.

Posted by Zachary on October 26, 2004 at 3:16 PM (CDT)

i do like the fact that its 60 gigs.. probably wont use the photo though, i wish they would release a 60 gig 4g, i would buy that over the iphoto anyday.. i just could care less about my album art or photos…

by the way, does this thing support he-aac? that, gapless, and better handling of playlist editing would be my three top wishes… but the photo thing alone just doesnt move me

Posted by a on October 26, 2004 at 3:21 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 5 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›