Apple debuts iPod Photo and U2 iPod | iLounge News

Apple debuts iPod Photo and U2 iPod

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, October 26, 2004
News Categories: iPod

picThe iPod Photo (40GB, $499 and 60GB, $599) is Apple’s new top-of-class iPod hardware, holding up to 25,000 digital photos and featuring 15 hours of Music Playback or 5 hours of Slideshow playback. The same general physical size as current iPods but slightly thicker, and with a color screen, the iPod Photo now syncs with iTunes 4.7 (released today) for music and pictures, integrating with iPhoto, Adobe photo programs, and Windows’ My Pictures folder. It features a dock with Audio and Video out, a 1.4m AV cable, and a black carrying case. It ships today.

pic The U2 iPod, also called the iPod U2 Special Edition ($349) is a 20GB black and red iPod with the engraved signatures of U2’s band members Bono, Larry Mullen, Adam Clayton and The Edge on the back. Available in three weeks, the new iPod will not include U2 music as widely rumored, but will include a $50 voucher for purchase of a new Apple “Digital Box Set” called “The Complete U2” with over 400 U2 tracks, including all of U2’s albums and a collection of rare and unreleased tracks. The Complete U2 will sell for $149.

« Apple launches EU iTunes Music Store

Apple to announce AAC+ »

Comments

I can’t believe Apple caved. Jobs himself said that it was about the music, and now, they go where every other brand has gone…

Posted by Sraphim on October 26, 2004 at 12:27 PM (PDT)

I’m a 4G owner, but I’m not whining. I would be if they had a 40GB US black ipod for $399.

I’d rather use the extra money and colorware it myself, I don’t like the signatures. U2 is okay.

I’d love a Purple Prince iPod…

Posted by dave chappelle on October 26, 2004 at 12:30 PM (PDT)

phot feature is great but i am stil missing
uploading photo feature for digital camera’s
with usb port.

Posted by venex on October 26, 2004 at 12:33 PM (PDT)

I’m glad I’m not having buyer’s remorse over my 4G 20GB.  I know a lot of people are really excited about this but the regular 4G is still a great option for the easy-to-please consumer.

Posted by veronicaleo on October 26, 2004 at 12:39 PM (PDT)

what i don’t understand is why put pictures on the ipod?  If i could synch my camera via my ipod it be great for times when i’m on vacation and my 512mb card runs out. with out a computer where’s this photo synch come in handy. also if you’re looking at your ipod to watch a slide show something wrong. if you want to stare at your ipod screen somethings wrong. turn your music on put the thing in your pockect and go. Also what good is a color screen going to do you when it’s in an ipod armor case or similiar cases and the screen covers on most cases, make it hard to see as is now and it’s black and white. Good idea but i don’t see the need for the color screen.

Posted by stefan on October 26, 2004 at 12:43 PM (PDT)

Ok, so these new iPod’s have a 15 hour battery life,  I think size-wise they are on par with the 3g 40gb models.  So I wonder if it would be possible to take a iPod Photo replacement battery and cram it in a 3g 40gb, that would be awesome!

Posted by Question on October 26, 2004 at 12:44 PM (PDT)

My name is Steve Jobs and I am so proud I never like to say I am wrong so because I have said “Video is dumb” like 5 billion times in public because other people had video players years before the iPod, I will go on making sure there is no video for as long as I can.

Until that is, of course, when enough Apple execs manage to convince me to see sense. It’s rare, but it does happen sometimes. Of course, when I refused to listen the first time round Apple fired me so this time maybe things will be different…

Yours sincerely, Steve

Posted by no video hell no on October 26, 2004 at 12:46 PM (PDT)

I’ll get an ipod soon, but I don’t see how iPhoto is so great since I don’t have a photo collection =P I’ll buy the original 4g.

Posted by Azureus on October 26, 2004 at 12:47 PM (PDT)

VERY COOL: the color screen can be seen by natural light WITHOUT the backlight on. It’s not like a laptop—it’s “transflective.” Very nice.

Also, want to see the REAL (pixel) size of the text and thumbnails on the iPodPhoto? I made a true-size image here:

Not bad! I might even spring for the 60 since it’s no thicker.

PS, this is NOT an accessory for your digital camers—Belkin makes that. This is for sharing your entire photo library. The color screen and TV are vital for that purpose. Connecting directly to a camera is not. That’s a different purpose.

And now we have a new use for our music… pocket slideshows smile

Posted by Nagromme on October 26, 2004 at 12:51 PM (PDT)

video on the ipod is dumb.. especially on a player like the ipod(one that small, where the screen is as small as it is).. if someone bought the ipod for video(if they came out with one) they would be an idiot…

afterall, all those other players that do have video arent selling nearly as good as the ipod

Posted by to no video hell no on October 26, 2004 at 12:55 PM (PDT)

Nice trolling. Steve didn’t artificially “force” the iPod not to have video. It’s not useful enough to be worth the added cost for hardware and software: people have photo collections on their computers, not movie collections. Some day, not today. I’d use video playback… occasionally… just for fun. But it would be cool and gimmicky, not widely useful.

The photo sharing and music slideshows to TV I WILL use all the time.

Posted by Nagromme on October 26, 2004 at 12:57 PM (PDT)

Look at the dimensions of these new photo ipods and the dimensions of the other 4g ipod’s.
They are both thicker than the 4g 40gb, which is pretty thick, this would definatly put me right off.
The color screen is nice but comeon people 600 to look at pictures on the go is not worth it, buy a 20gb and a good digital camera and you have the best of both worlds.

Posted by correction on October 26, 2004 at 1:06 PM (PDT)

techno question regarding the colour screen ipod:  Does the colour LCD remain on all the time?  On the iRiver 340 for example the colour screen turns off after (a programmable) 3 minutes say.  Well that’s really annoying as you cant see details of what is playing.  How does it work with the new colour screen iPod?  i.e. does the LED light enable it to be on all the time without draining power etc?

Posted by marcus b on October 26, 2004 at 1:07 PM (PDT)

I would be concerned that the screen would be very hard to read in sunlight or bright light.  It says you can read it in both; It is “transflective”  but I have a Pocket PC with a “transflective” screen and it doesn’t matter if the backlight is on or off, you can’t see the screen for crap outdoors.

Posted by FlyingJenny on October 26, 2004 at 1:08 PM (PDT)

whoever asked what generation this is [ie: 4G or 5G] its neither.
this is an iPod Photo 1G.
i don’t really see the point of this. i assume it can sync with the belkin media reader, which is handy. If it played video, then it’d be worth it - only to connect to a TV though.

Posted by Harrison in Melbourne, Australia on October 26, 2004 at 1:11 PM (PDT)

So really it’s just an ipod with an estimated 3 more hours of battery life and a color screen with added photo stuff that no one will ever use just so they can charge $100 more dollars…. Doesn’t add up

Posted by the calculator on October 26, 2004 at 1:12 PM (PDT)

Too expensive and not robust enough. It was clear when a reduction came in the 4G model prices, that some other things were making their ways into the market. However, Apple falls short this time.

The new iPod photo cannot directly copy photos from any digital camera nor can it copy from any memory card.

There is a device that does it, with larger screen for photos, videos and music (same size and lighter than the 40GB iPod), it’s called: Archos Gmini 400.  For only $340 you get 20GB with it. It also boasts a very elegant design, nicely sealed a feels very solid (I dropped it from 4 feet 3 times - not a scratch).

Posted by Jack Shutzman on October 26, 2004 at 1:23 PM (PDT)

If it had an integrated media reader that would be handy but would probably make it bigger, the Gmini 400 looks like a better buy at the moment, inbuilt card reader, smaller and it does video, although I don’t know what the batter life is like.

Posted by petal666 on October 26, 2004 at 1:32 PM (PDT)

Since I have a 3G 20GB, which is 2/3 full and I’m only half done ripping my collection…I’ve been thinking of a 40GB anyway. I’m hoping the 4G 40GB will drop in price now…

Posted by T on October 26, 2004 at 1:43 PM (PDT)

i think the 4g ipod has a color screen.. if you go to apple.com, on the specs, it says photos (with attachment) and im sure an attachment wouldnt be a new color screen. and why buy the attachment if your looking at your pictures in black and white.  there was also people saying there was a hidden feature on the 4g which was a color screen, maby its really there

Posted by hi on October 26, 2004 at 2:32 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 5 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >  Last »