Apple debuts iPod Photo and U2 iPod | iLounge News

Apple debuts iPod Photo and U2 iPod

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, October 26, 2004
News Categories: iPod

picThe iPod Photo (40GB, $499 and 60GB, $599) is Apple’s new top-of-class iPod hardware, holding up to 25,000 digital photos and featuring 15 hours of Music Playback or 5 hours of Slideshow playback. The same general physical size as current iPods but slightly thicker, and with a color screen, the iPod Photo now syncs with iTunes 4.7 (released today) for music and pictures, integrating with iPhoto, Adobe photo programs, and Windows’ My Pictures folder. It features a dock with Audio and Video out, a 1.4m AV cable, and a black carrying case. It ships today.

pic The U2 iPod, also called the iPod U2 Special Edition ($349) is a 20GB black and red iPod with the engraved signatures of U2’s band members Bono, Larry Mullen, Adam Clayton and The Edge on the back. Available in three weeks, the new iPod will not include U2 music as widely rumored, but will include a $50 voucher for purchase of a new Apple “Digital Box Set” called “The Complete U2” with over 400 U2 tracks, including all of U2’s albums and a collection of rare and unreleased tracks. The Complete U2 will sell for $149.

« Apple launches EU iTunes Music Store

Apple to announce AAC+ »

Comments

I bought the 4G iPod after dreaming of owning an iPod since its release, and I have to say iPod photo do not blow me away.

The photo sharing is nice, and the color screen looks gorgeous- but to me, it is not complete unless you were able to transfer photo files directly from digital cameras or the storage options like compact flash.  It would make much more sense if the iPod Photo had such options, but I guess it would be more expensive and cumbersome to cater to different camera makers/different media types.  Still, the ability to view and share photos, with the option to show it on external display is not too appealing, especially with the price range it has.  Honestly, I think this is a bit of a mixed bag from Apple.

For the U2 iPod, I’m not too crazy about U2, and I think thhey sold out with this promotion.  First of all, why can’t Apple realize that if they replace the iPod’s shells with the color variation and the same material with iPod Mini, that it would appease the consumers?  Most people I know, they bought a case for iPod once they got an iPod- not necessarily the same story with iPod Mini, and if the people want something else from plain white, then they should deliver to such demands.  Besides, having a cool color and legal tracks that you could easily download from online illegally doesn’t make it $50 you pay for the special edition worthwhile, in my opinion.  I’m pretty sure it will sell like crazy, but it’s just another corporate gimmick.

Posted by ijustbought4G on October 26, 2004 at 2:34 PM (PDT)

I am soooooo jealous.  I dunno if i should be happy or angry at apple.  I just got a 4g ipod about 2 weeks ago.  Now apple wants to make an ipod with photo capabilities.  It is soooooo cool!!!!!!! Im just angry because if only I held off for a while.  |:(

Posted by Eric on October 26, 2004 at 2:39 PM (PDT)

4G for me thanks…a white one.

Posted by YOUR MOM on October 26, 2004 at 2:47 PM (PDT)

I just finished ordering my U2 iPod!!  How cool!!  But, it’s a sad day…..my 1G iPod has been my sidekick everyday since 2001…. She’ll be in retirement at home.

Posted by JNelson on October 26, 2004 at 2:48 PM (PDT)

Thickness.

Posted by Sam on October 26, 2004 at 2:49 PM (PDT)

“It’s not useful enough to be worth the added cost for hardware and software: people have photo collections on their computers, not movie collections.”

Maybe you don’t, but I do. How is showing 30 photos a second (video) different from showing photos every couple of seconds.

“Some day, not today. I’d use video playback… occasionally… just for fun. But it would be cool and gimmicky, not widely useful.”

You mean someday when *Apple* releases a video player? I’m willing to bet two years ago when the first players with photo playback appeared you were poo-pooing them saying “my audio-only iPod gives me everything I need, why would I need photos”?

“The photo sharing and music slideshows to TV I WILL use all the time.”

Your experience is quite narrow and I don’t see that you’re justified in extending it to a general population.

I have several thousand videos and video clips, many of which I would like to carry around with me using an Apple device (that wasn’t a Powerbook). I have a PVR that records dozens of shows a week and compresses to DIVX so I can skim them later. It’s a sweet. It would be sweeter with an Apple interface.

Face it, Steve Jobs has a bee in his bonnet about video for some reason. There’s no good reason why video should not be on this new iPod, especially given Apple’s alleged prowess at video editing, home authorising, and the whole “digital hub” concept.

Posted by one man's poison on October 26, 2004 at 2:49 PM (PDT)

Apple doesn’t have any competition in the video arena now. It would be wise to wait for more competition.

Posted by Sam on October 26, 2004 at 3:09 PM (PDT)

This seems like a 1/2 step by Apple to me. What would really make the ipod photo killer would be a built-in card reader so that all those millions of photographers (and growing) using flash memory cards could dump their photos into the ipod while on the go. Seems if Apple is trying to connect their desktop imaging software/processing expertise with photographers in the field, this would be the most logical step. Works like this:

1. Take photo with digital camera
2. Fill up flash memory, oh no! no more space!
3. Let me just get my trusty & oh-so-cute ipod photo.
4. Empty flash memory card into ipod
5. Take more photos
6. On the way home, show off photo library to friends while playing U2 in background.
7. Sync ipod at home with Mac.
8. Edit photos with iphoto
9. Post photos on Apple photo sharing website.
10. Print photos with Apple photo printing service.
11. Apple takes over the world.

Which is why i say WAIT and don’t get suckered in by the hype. Card reader ipod photo coming soon…

Posted by RX on October 26, 2004 at 6:14 PM (PDT)

Nice features they added but they’re useless to me, I’ll stick to my 20GB 4G thank you very much.

Posted by Pete on October 26, 2004 at 6:21 PM (PDT)

I am interested in the IPod Photo, but I am into photography and it would be useful to make sure that a file transferred over successfully from you CF card.  I don’t see what the point is for Joe Average IPod user.  Why do I need my photo album with me all the time?

Posted by Osprey on October 26, 2004 at 6:49 PM (PDT)

60GB.

Enough said.

Posted by rilhouse on October 26, 2004 at 6:53 PM (PDT)

$600.

Enough Said.

Posted by UltimatePG on October 26, 2004 at 7:02 PM (PDT)

How does Apple expect its customers to be happy with their product if they keep selling upgraded versions within a few months of each other? Trust me guys, if you buy the iPod Photo now, it would be a has-been by next summer.

Posted by Kit on October 26, 2004 at 8:44 PM (PDT)

The iPod photo sure does look nice, but i will never be able to afford one. My mini will now make me sad =(

Posted by Anthony on October 26, 2004 at 9:53 PM (PDT)

I do a lot of presentation using my Powerbook. May be I can use this iPod Photo to do presentation. Carrying an iPod Photo is much easier than a Powerbook.

Posted by Tim on October 26, 2004 at 9:58 PM (PDT)

I am wondering when there will be more sophicated games now that the ipod has a color screen?
Imagine being able to download games on itunes…
The controls couldn’t be much harder or eat much more memory than the games currently available for cellphones…
Parents would download that stuff at 99 cents a pop just to shut the kids up in the car and only have to deal with one device.

Posted by kaio on October 26, 2004 at 10:34 PM (PDT)

I wonder when more sophisicated games will be added to itunes? Now that there is a color screen games with as much detail as what cellphones currently have would be possible….
And then market it next summer during a slower sales season as the ultimate all in one portable device for travel….
In time, and if planned well, ipod and itunes could cut into the portable game player market

Posted by kaio on October 26, 2004 at 10:41 PM (PDT)

I totally agree about the iPod Photo missing a trick - that being that you can’t upload photos to it whilst on the go.

Some of the Archos ones have Compact Flash readers built in which is OK, however iRiver have what I consider to be the best approach to this:

Their new 40GB model acts as a USB host. So you can connect ANYTHING USB to it and it can pull the pics off, rather than having to push them, if you follow? Anyway, what that means is it can suck up data from any USB source, hence ANY camera, no matter what format the cards are can be used as long as it has USB.

Also, the new 60gb iPod is $600 - what’s the betting that’ll be the thick end of £600 when it comes to the UK - that’s getting on for $1000!!

Nah, the two things that would make me upgrade from my 15GB 3G would be:

- 60GB storage
- USB host

As soon as iRiver up their capacity to 60GB, I fear the iPod will start getting dusty…..

Posted by DaveUK on October 26, 2004 at 11:48 PM (PDT)

Herr… Didn’t you know that Sony’s VAIO Pocket already does it all??? Direct transfer from digital cameras, CD cover art display and browsing, photo and slideshow display, transflective LCD screen? On the other hand, it doesn’t have the TV connection functionnality. And my biggest disappointment comes from the fact that this iPod has no video playback capability…

Posted by Chakra Alpha on October 26, 2004 at 11:53 PM (PDT)

I just ordered my 40GB iPod Photo, upgrading from a 30GB 3G. (I’d have ordered the 60GB but I can’t justify the extra $100 right now.) This will be my fifth iPod.

I’ve been waiting for photo support for years, along with the ability to display cover art. For those who can’t figure out why anyone would want photo support, you’re either not a photographer or not a parent. The ability to carry my photos with me and to display them either on the iPod screen or on any tv set is huge, and is the modern day equivalent of lugging around slide trays and a projector. Sure it’s not for everyone but that’s why there are different iPod models.

As for the lack of the ability to transfer images directly from my camera, while it would be nice it’s just not practical for a number of reasons. Having a built-in memory card reader would increase the size of the iPod significantly, especially if Apple tried to support every possible card type. Supporting USB transfer from the camera comes with its own compatibility issues including the issue of image file size and format. I think an external reader such as Belkin’s is the most logical solution, however ungainly it may be, and I would look for a new reader to be released soon (by Apple, Belkin, or someone else) that includes iPod Photo support.

In the meantime, I’m looking forward to boring family members and friends with my latest slide shows of the kids and our vacations!

Posted by Craig on October 26, 2004 at 11:57 PM (PDT)

Page 3 of 5 pages  <  1 2 3 4 5 >