Apple debuts iPod Photo and U2 iPod | iLounge News

Apple debuts iPod Photo and U2 iPod

picThe iPod Photo (40GB, $499 and 60GB, $599) is Apple’s new top-of-class iPod hardware, holding up to 25,000 digital photos and featuring 15 hours of Music Playback or 5 hours of Slideshow playback. The same general physical size as current iPods but slightly thicker, and with a color screen, the iPod Photo now syncs with iTunes 4.7 (released today) for music and pictures, integrating with iPhoto, Adobe photo programs, and Windows’ My Pictures folder. It features a dock with Audio and Video out, a 1.4m AV cable, and a black carrying case. It ships today.

pic The U2 iPod, also called the iPod U2 Special Edition ($349) is a 20GB black and red iPod with the engraved signatures of U2’s band members Bono, Larry Mullen, Adam Clayton and The Edge on the back. Available in three weeks, the new iPod will not include U2 music as widely rumored, but will include a $50 voucher for purchase of a new Apple “Digital Box Set” called “The Complete U2” with over 400 U2 tracks, including all of U2’s albums and a collection of rare and unreleased tracks. The Complete U2 will sell for $149.

« Apple launches EU iTunes Music Store

Apple to announce AAC+ »

Comments

this is ridiculous , for me personally i would buy the original 4th generation 20 gig ipod . like whats the difference you can see photos? like dont you have a digital camera , cause my digital camera is smaller than my ipod. so dont get too excited and brainwashed and dont buy the ipod photo , cuz if i were you i would wait a year or two to get the ipod that plays music videos and has a digital camera in it , trust me its gonna come out and youll be regrettin to gettin this one.
    i expected more than apple than just to see photos.

Posted by alex on October 27, 2004 at 5:28 PM (PDT)

Who’s kidding who, if the iPod did more and didn’t compromise its already winning features then we’d all want the new model.

I’d purchase it tomorrow but I can’t go purchasing a new iPod every time a new one is released.  It’d be cool if they had trade-in prices grin

I have a 3Gen 40Gig which serves my purposes at present but… other than this new iPod being another cool gadget…

When I go away I usually don’t have access to a computer and am paranoid about loosing my photos.  Thus I purchased the Belkin Digital Camera Link and can store my photos on the iPod.  This is great. I am then satisfied that I have my photos (since it does “verify” that they transferred correctly).  About all I can do with the photos in the 3G iPod is delete the sets of transferred photos (called rolls).  For me I can see some advantages to the new iPod…

1) During a photo transfer, in my experience, the drain of the (fully charged) battery can be significant meaning I’ve sometimes needed to start again.  Maybe with extra battery life it might increase my success rate?

2) Once my photos have been transferred I delete them from the camera to free up space (since that is the point) but I cannot review them at all until I get home.  When travelling I find that my companions, or those I meet, wish to see what I’ve taken photos of and even I like to have a browse and wouldn’t mind vetting a few (can you delete photos?).

3) To get to the photos when I do get home, I currently need to access the iPod’s hard-drive folders.  I think that it’s cool that the collection appears within iTunes.  This would save the additional fiddling around I currently do.

4) My music currently takes up 32Gig and thus only leaves 5ish free.  I think the extra 20Gig wouldn’t go a stray.

5) My iPod is with me 24/7.  I use it in the morning getting ready for work.  I use it in the car while travelling to work (it’s my car stereo).  I use it all day at work and then on the drive home again.  Thus the extra battery life will prevent me needing to take my extra power cable to work.

Thumbs up Apple.  I like the new iPod.  Only wish I could justify purchasing it and the next model too grin

Posted by Terrence on October 27, 2004 at 10:59 PM (PDT)

i think compared to other colour screen mp3 players like the iriver thing with that built in usb port thing is way better for the purpose of viewing and saving photos. does any one no if the iriver needs to have its own compression format? there is no point having a lot of memory and a colour screen if you cannot watch videos in my opinion. this was a bad step for apple in my opinion as lots of other mp3 players manufacturers will compare their better photo/video capabilities with the ipods. also the whole thing about having a certain format compression really detracts from the ipod. sorry to burst you bubble people. i’ll be sticking with my 20gb g4 ipod.

Posted by winston on October 28, 2004 at 12:04 AM (PDT)

i luv the iPod photo (should’ve been caled iPod Colour, dont know why but i dont like the name), but i cant see it selling any where near as much as the other iPods. The black iPod is alright, but i do not like the red click wheel. It just doesn’t go, red and iPod. Black iPod is a good idea but i think they got it wrong, and they are also over charging. $50 just for U2s signitures on? I hate U2, it would’ve been better black with a white or grey click wheel. And, if he iPod Photo has a colour screen, does that mean that the software (like iPod Phto 2.0 or something) could be upgraded in the future to play video? Just to finsih, i think that we can expect the iPod mini 2g soon, with a 10gb memory and also a iPod Micro with flash memory.

Posted by mwah ha ha ha ha *chokes* on October 28, 2004 at 1:47 AM (PDT)

i think they should’ve changed the rest of the design a bit for the iPod Photo. just a thought, dont hate me, i luv it anyway lol

Posted by justjack on October 28, 2004 at 1:48 AM (PDT)

another thought: i can see apple releasing more Ipod Special Editions in different colours. eg, a Blue iPod for Blue, but theyre splitting up so maybe not. (Blue is a english group if ya wonderin)

Posted by justjack on October 28, 2004 at 1:51 AM (PDT)

“Having a built-in memory card reader would increase the size of the iPod significantly”

I don’t think so. I’ve seen many of the current handhelds with media cardreaders and they are still tiny. The GMini, for example, is smaller than the iPod!

Personally I am amazed that on a $500 device Apple didn’t spend the $10 to add a multi-format media reader at the cost of around an extra 10 cmm.

I’ve seen cheaper players in Best Buy that do that. and manage to come in well under $300, and in some cases $200. You can even get mutiformat readers on mobiles now.

I think the competition is heating up. I noticed Samsung now have a combined phone/camera/mp3 player/media card reader that even comes with a 1.5GB disk and a 2.2” color screen.

Telephone companies have a lock on the market, and they shift *hundreds* of times the volume of devices that single companies like Apple can manage.

Imagine when you can get these convergence phones for free-after-rebate with a telephone plan. I give it around 2 years. Apple will have to up the ante significantly with the iPod line.

It’s hard to compete with “free”.

Posted by convergence on October 28, 2004 at 2:12 AM (PDT)

Nice but what I’m waiting for is an iPod with wireless b/g which can stream music to my hi-fi using AirPort Express…

Posted by Phat P on October 28, 2004 at 5:46 AM (PDT)

I have one thing to say to Apple regarding their black U2 edition iPod….“I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For”  LOL

Posted by julian on October 28, 2004 at 8:27 AM (PDT)

ahhh sh*t…i’ve had my 4G iPod for just over a month now…I WANT A COLOUR iPOD!! but 20GB is big enough for me I guess..

Posted by sophie on October 29, 2004 at 2:33 PM (PDT)

You wanna transfer pics directly from your digital camera to IPod? Check this out…

Posted by Jazzanova on October 29, 2004 at 5:14 PM (PDT)

Its not worth buying and ipod photo because ipod was made for music.  Who needs color screen when you just need music?  Im sticking with my 3g 30 gb ipod for a while.

Posted by markiemark on October 30, 2004 at 5:50 PM (PDT)

Why can’t it play videos???Then would sell all my stuff and get it.

Posted by TheCritic in Mumbai,India. on October 30, 2004 at 8:00 PM (PDT)

Wow I’m really glad I waited to upgrade I have a 3g and I have been frustrated with the limitations of what one can do with an iPod and I have tons of photos and I really like the idea of carrying whole albums with me to show family and friends and doing a slide show with music maybe, also I like the idea of taking pictures and using a belkin camera connector and then looking at the pictures right away etc The 15 hour battery life is a sweet progression too

I agree with Mr Jobs that video on an iPod is dumb it’s hard enuff to look at video on my 20 inch g4 imac let alone an ipod but photos?...I am so psyched to have all my albums on my ipod SO PSYCHED I TELL YOU!

When I saw the black ipod w/ the red wheel I was very jealous why does the only color choice beside kind of uncool white or pastel metalics have to be stamped and scratched with U2’s approval!!!!!!!!? I really don’t care about promoting U2 but I love a black and red ipod make more colors!

Posted by Tryntjeblue Rapalje on October 30, 2004 at 8:56 PM (PDT)

Just a question ...

What is the color of the U2 iPod hearphone ?

If it’s white it’s awful, if it’s black it will be the first non white official apple hearphone.

Interesting not ?

Posted by francocash on October 31, 2004 at 2:06 AM (PDT)

The photo is very nice, i think apple are trying to bring some sort of wow back to the iPod since it became so common after the price fell.

Posted by Rich on October 31, 2004 at 9:13 AM (PDT)

Back to the U2 iPod.  As to the red and black case, in case you didn’t notice, are the dominant colours in their new album.

And as to the $50 price hike, a U2 fan planning on purchasing The Complete U2 will think nothing of it, as he gets the $50 back when he gets the Digital Boxed Set, along with the poster and more stylised casing.

Think about it - The Complete U2 is only the first in a collection of Digital Boxed Sets…I’m excited to see what Apple comes out with next.

Posted by Ike on October 31, 2004 at 7:15 PM (PDT)

Is iPod Photo displaying the album art that is embedded in the mp3 file’s tag?  I have not found clear documentation from Apple on this.  I am concerned that album art is only being displayed for music downloaded from iTunes Store.  The art is located in a seperate file and displayed when track is played.  THIS WOULD SUCK if all my embedded art doesn’t get displayed.

Posted by GopherGrad on November 3, 2004 at 1:00 PM (PDT)

Some of the things ipod photo should have for that price:

1. A SD/MMC card slot
2. Ability to view pictures transferred from Belkin Media Reader
3. voice recorder/FM functions (still absent)
4. video playback (far-fetched)

Posted by joon on November 15, 2004 at 3:44 AM (PDT)

Anyone in doubt about the looks of the U2 iPod needs to see one in person.  I’ve had mine for a few days now and it’s very nice; the matte red wheel against the glossy black is a nice touch.

Still getting used to the 4G click wheel (had a 3rd gen previously).... Not sure I like it as much.  I really liked the lack of moving parts in the 3G.

Posted by m. sherman in Northern VA on November 22, 2004 at 6:52 AM (PDT)

Page 5 of 5 pages « First  <  3 4 5