Apple debuts new iPod with games | iLounge News

Apple debuts new iPod with games

image

Apple today introduced an upgraded version of its fifth-generation iPod, bumping storage capacity and battery life while adding support video games. The new 30GB model features up to 14 hours of battery life for music playback and up to three and a half hours of video playback, and the 80GB model provides up to 20 hours of battery life for music playback and five and a half hours of video playback. The new iPod also offers a 60% brighter display, gapless playback, and a new Search and Quick Scroll feature.

The new video games designed specifically for the fifth-generation iPod include: Bejeweled, Cubis 2, Mahjong, Mini Golf, Pac-Man, Tetris, Texas Hold’em, Vortex and Zuma, and are available for purchase on the iTunes Store for $4.99 each. The new 30GB iPod model is priced at $249, while the new 80GB model costs $349. Both models are available in white or black and include redesigned earbud headphones.

image

« Apple announces new ultra-tiny iPod shuffle

Apple offers ‘sneak peek’ at iTV media router »

Comments

Do these games work on the “old” 5G iPod?

Posted by TM on September 12, 2006 at 2:39 PM (CDT)

....do these search/scroll items work on the old ipod?

Posted by OnlyShawn on September 12, 2006 at 2:54 PM (CDT)

The games do, apparently. Still trying to find out if the search/scroll and/or gapless playback will work on current 5G with a software upgrade. It was mentioned that iPod firmware updates would be handled from within iTunes 7. Maybe this upgrade is in there.

Posted by Hrothgar on September 12, 2006 at 3:19 PM (CDT)

what about the old ipod nano

Posted by Jeremy Joyner on September 12, 2006 at 3:25 PM (CDT)

I just installed the software update onto my 30GB 5G iPod.

Games are supported and there is a new brightness option, but nothing more.

It appears that they will be using different software on the new iPods.

It’s Software 1.2 BTW.

Posted by Daveoc64 on September 12, 2006 at 3:28 PM (CDT)

I downloaded Texas Hold’em and it says that a software update is required, but the summary tells me that my ipod is up to date.  So I guess it is going to work, but I just have to wait until the update is released.

Posted by Larry on September 12, 2006 at 3:29 PM (CDT)

Daveoc64: does the new software allow gapless playback!

Posted by celtic_elk on September 12, 2006 at 3:29 PM (CDT)

How did you get 1.2?

Posted by Larry on September 12, 2006 at 3:31 PM (CDT)

Oh I see, restart itunes again.

Posted by Larry on September 12, 2006 at 3:37 PM (CDT)

Try opening and closing iTunes a few times, then Click “Check for updates” on the help menu. It will tell you that iTunes 7.0 is the latest version, clicking ok will bring up a dialog about iPod being out of date.

It was a 6.9MB file that downloaded in a way similar to a song/video.

Posted by Daveoc64 on September 12, 2006 at 3:38 PM (CDT)

Hmmm… a revamped 5G seems slightly dissapointing, but the new nano and shuffle look sweet.

Posted by brian on September 12, 2006 at 3:39 PM (CDT)

I notice that the store says the following:

“New iPod software features
Now quickly find the songs, podcasts, or audiobooks you want to hear with the new search feature. And listen to music seamlessly with automatic gapless playback.”

I’m guessing that the gapless playback uses some new hardware feature, so they are holding it back and that the Search feature is being used as an upgrade pull.

Posted by Daveoc64 on September 12, 2006 at 3:43 PM (CDT)

^ Not suprised.

Posted by ipodman715 on September 12, 2006 at 3:46 PM (CDT)

Count me as being underwhelmed by today’s big announcement.  I guess I was expecting a true video iPod perhaps with 16:9 capabilities.  I consider this a minor iPod software tweak.

The iPod shuffle looks cool though.

Posted by Obadiah on September 12, 2006 at 3:52 PM (CDT)

I downloaded the pacman game for my video ipod. How the heck do I get it on there?

Posted by Joey on September 12, 2006 at 3:55 PM (CDT)

Texas Hold’em is cool!

Posted by Larry on September 12, 2006 at 3:56 PM (CDT)

Nevermind, I do believe I have figured it out.

Posted by Joey on September 12, 2006 at 3:57 PM (CDT)

I just got my 60G iPod 2 months ago…now they release one with 20 gigs more space for $50 less…crap! haha Im quickly running out of room encoding all my live concert DVDs…

Posted by Ducci23 on September 12, 2006 at 3:58 PM (CDT)

I was incorrect in my earlier assumption, gapless playback does work on the 5G iPod which really makes me confused as to why the Search feature doesn’t work.

I can see why gapless wouldn’t, but the search feature is purely software.

Posted by Daveoc64 on September 12, 2006 at 4:01 PM (CDT)

“The new iPod also offers a 60% brighter display..”

I passed on the Creative ZEN Vision:M and W in hopes of a widescreen iPod with much improved screen, since I like video as much as music on my iPod.

But the new 5G still has the same specs! WTF? 2.5-inch (diagonal) QVGA transflective, over 65,000-color liquid crystal display with white LED backlight 320 by 240 pixel resolution, .156-mm dot pitch.

The old Creative ZEN Vision:M still rules considering colors: 2.5” TFT LCD at 320 x 240 Color Display 262,144 colors

So where is the improvement Apple?? I’m waiting for Creatives next move before deciding..

Posted by Morty on September 12, 2006 at 4:20 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >