Apple debuts ‘Pop-Lock’ commercial | iLounge News

Apple debuts ‘Pop-Lock’ commercial

imageJust one week after its last new iPod and iTunes commercial, Apple has aired yet another featuring silhouetted dancers. The new ad features the song “Technologic” by Daft Punk and is entitled “Pop-Lock” because of the style of dance moves used in it. Like last week’s “Rollerskating” ad, the commercial was shown during Saturday Night Live on NBC. Also of note, actor and Apple fan Will Ferrell wore an iPod shuffle in one skit.

« Forums: Your ‘lounge,’ iTMS poll, earphones, picky shuffles

Mix: iPod DJ, iTunes emails, Toast, Sirius, iCon »

Comments

I hate to say, but I REALLY like the Rollerskating ad better!! Technologic was not one of Daft Punk best songs. I just caught wind on the hype with the Bow Wow rollerskating movie. Good MOVE Apple!! Piggyback the hype and hit a whole new market!! Smart (I hope they know this) Lastly, these 2 ads are great!! Well maybe because I hated the shuffle ad. Caesars are not my taste, but hey, each song hits a certain group(market).

Posted by Windowsman on May 15, 2005 at 11:54 AM (CDT)

hate the new song :(

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on May 15, 2005 at 8:19 PM (CDT)

Yeah… could have picked a much better song for pop-locking then anything by Daft Punk.

Posted by LilAlienD in Maryland on May 15, 2005 at 10:48 PM (CDT)

Wal-Mart has an ad where a guy is popping and it’s way better than this one by Apple.

No comparison between iTMS and Wal-Mart Music, but I did dig the Wal-Mart ad.

Has anyone else seen it?  It has a guy in front of his garage listening to a Rio or Creative MP3 player and popping.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on May 15, 2005 at 11:43 PM (CDT)

I like this ad.  I guess it’s all aboutp personal preference…  I even bought the song by Daft Punk because of its quirkiness.

Does this make me a lemming?  Or am I simply part of the target audience that Apple was aiming at.

Oh, well.  It worked.  And I am pop-locking my ass off…

Posted by Armand in Washington, DC on May 16, 2005 at 12:17 PM (CDT)

FYI, there’s no such dance style as Pop-Locking. It’s a convenient term used by the mainstream press to clump two entirely different styles (Popping and Locking) of dance together. Some people will argue that the term implies they’re mixing the two styles together. That’s fine; however, the people depicted in the commercial are doing different forms of popping only (i.e. Boogaloo, Waving). There is no Locking at all in the commercial. And no, Slim the Robot (who was an original Locker) did Robot style which is not the same as the traditional Popping style (which is credited to Boogaloo Sam).

Posted by gr00vy0ne on May 16, 2005 at 1:41 PM (CDT)

where can i watch it

Posted by im_louise on May 18, 2005 at 3:02 AM (CDT)

c’mon peep roller skating is dead, we burried it in the 70’s. the pop lock it’s where it’s at. those are some of the sickest moves i’ve ever seen

Posted by ganzoed on May 31, 2005 at 9:40 PM (CDT)

Er Ganzoed what planet are you on? Popping and Locking were from the 70’s too…

Posted by Toby Jjang on July 5, 2005 at 6:39 PM (CDT)