Apple debuts second-generation iPod touch | iLounge News

Apple debuts second-generation iPod touch

image

Alongside new iPod nanos and iTunes 8, Apple today announced the new iPod touch, the second-generation of the iPhone OS music player. As previsouly reported by iLounge, the new touch features a shape that is like the iPhone 3G but with a back made from polished steel, with volume buttons on the side and a built in speaker. New software features include Genius playlist creation, a slightly enhanced user interface, and built in support Nike + iPod — no receiver is required, only the shoe transmitter. The player will offer compatibility with Apple’s new in-line control headphones, as well as battery life of 36 hours for music and 6 hours for video. The new iPod touch will also ship with software version 2.1, which will be a free update to current iPod touch users running software 2.0 or later, and will be a $10 upgrade for users coming from software 1.x. Pricing starts at $229 for the 8GB model, $299 for the 16GB model, and $399 for the 32GB model. All three models are available starting today.

“iPod touch is the funnest iPod we’ve ever created,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Users can listen to millions of songs, watch thousands of Hollywood movies and now, thanks to the App Store, download and play hundreds of great games on their iPod touch.”

« Highlights from Apple’s ‘Let’s Rock’ special event [updated]

Apple intros fourth-generation iPod nano »

Comments

Where is iTunes 8?

Posted by Rob Cepek on September 9, 2008 at 10:59 AM (PDT)

Why is hte upgrade from 8 to 16gb $20 more on the touch vs the Nano?  They’re probably the exact same drive, does this make sense to anyone at all?  Ugh, as if we weren’t being raped on the Touch prices already.

Posted by ascian on September 9, 2008 at 11:04 AM (PDT)

This is amazing. The new touch is what it should have been since they first announced it. It’s got a speaker, it’s cheaper, it looks nicer. Even though it’s cheaper, it actually looks more elegant that the first generation iPod touch. Apple wow-ed me a little bit more with iPod nano today, but I’m strongly considering buying the new 16gb 2nd gen iPod touch.

Posted by Luis on September 9, 2008 at 11:05 AM (PDT)

Hey! will apple stores carry them today? like…in 2 hours if i can drive to my closest one, will they for sure be carrying them? because i do not want to go in vain, but if at all possible, i’d like to pick one up today…just curious.

Posted by Phil R. on September 9, 2008 at 11:10 AM (PDT)

I am very disappointed.  They should just do away with the classic and release a larger capacity iPod touch.  I love the features, but I need much more than just 32 gigs of storage.

Posted by Jason on September 9, 2008 at 11:11 AM (PDT)

Call your Apple Store and ask before you drive there?

Posted by bjames on September 9, 2008 at 11:12 AM (PDT)

Very nice, but still waiting for the 64 GB touch. No sale…again.

Posted by Obadiah on September 9, 2008 at 11:16 AM (PDT)

I have the 1G - 32GB Touch and love it.  I don’t think I would use the speaker, but the volume button would have been nice to have.  Oh, well…I am just going to wait for the 32GB phone.  It’s odd we can’t get more capacity in that.

Posted by Gary on September 9, 2008 at 11:20 AM (PDT)

Jason,
  Since it has wifi if you have a big library you could access it remotely and just go and get the songs you need between wifi spots.
  Its hard to get accustomed to a new way of doing things but adding wifi to a music player means you no longer need to have enough storage for your whole library.

Posted by gear on September 9, 2008 at 11:21 AM (PDT)

Questions I hope iLounge can answer:

1. Do the new headphones (with mic) work with the old iPod touch?  Can the old iPod touch work as a voice recorder with something like the Belkin TuneTalk attached?

2. Does this mean Skype could work on the iPod touch, now that it has a mic + speaker?

Posted by Khalid on September 9, 2008 at 11:23 AM (PDT)

where’s the polished steel iphone???

Posted by Cat on September 9, 2008 at 11:24 AM (PDT)

Again I’m underwhelmed. I was expecting to make the transition from an iPod Classic to iPod Touch. I currently use 45gb of my Classic and would have happily shelled out the bucks for a 64gb Touch, but it wasn’t meant to be.  C- Steve Jobs.

Posted by Best on September 9, 2008 at 11:25 AM (PDT)

Honestly the only thing I’m interested in is iTunes 8. Other than that this was a rather boring announcement.

Posted by Shan! on September 9, 2008 at 11:26 AM (PDT)

It’s says polished steel back, but from the pictures on the Apple site, it looks like a chrome steel back to me…?

Posted by Larouche on September 9, 2008 at 11:28 AM (PDT)

I’m rather underwhelmed and disappointed by today’s announcements. Some of the tweaks to the touch were nice, including a volume control button, but no 64GB version? Guess Apple will have to wait until next year for my cash ...

Posted by cxc273 on September 9, 2008 at 11:30 AM (PDT)

Has anyone found iTunes 8??  I keep checking the Apple site, and clicking on the update button in iTunes 7.7 but it keep just giving me the 7.7 version.  Anyone find 8 yet??

Posted by Andre Papajohn on September 9, 2008 at 11:31 AM (PDT)

Disappointing. I feel like I’ve been waiting 3 years for a high capacity widescreen iPod and still don’t have it yet. If the point is to watch movies, it needs *lots* of storage (shouldn’t have to be near wifi; don’t want to have to manage files). The new nano is very nice, but last year I bought a 3G and don’t need another one. They went for games instead of practical apps. Maybe next year . . .

Posted by brted on September 9, 2008 at 11:32 AM (PDT)

Saying that an ipod touch doesn’t have enough memory for my whole library is like saying that the laptops I shopped for don’t have enough memory to contain the whole internet.

It has wifi, you can go and get just what you want whenever you hit a hot spot. You don’t need to load everything in there like you did with a pre-wifi ipod, you don’t need to carry everything you own around all the time, go get what you want when you want it and leave the rest at home.

Posted by gear on September 9, 2008 at 11:34 AM (PDT)

gear, very poor analogy with the laptop. We don’t OWN the whole internet.

It’s funny how some folks who probably only have a need for about 8 GB of capacity criticize the rest of us who have large music collections and simply want it on one touch device.

Posted by Chris on September 9, 2008 at 11:41 AM (PDT)

Erm… the prices still the same for ipod touch, isn’t it? The difference is that the new ones have changes but they have the same price.
Am i wrong?

Posted by Ibai on September 9, 2008 at 11:42 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >