Apple debuts second-generation iPod touch | iLounge News

Apple debuts second-generation iPod touch

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, September 9, 2008
News Categories: iPod

image

Alongside new iPod nanos and iTunes 8, Apple today announced the new iPod touch, the second-generation of the iPhone OS music player. As previsouly reported by iLounge, the new touch features a shape that is like the iPhone 3G but with a back made from polished steel, with volume buttons on the side and a built in speaker. New software features include Genius playlist creation, a slightly enhanced user interface, and built in support Nike + iPod — no receiver is required, only the shoe transmitter. The player will offer compatibility with Apple’s new in-line control headphones, as well as battery life of 36 hours for music and 6 hours for video. The new iPod touch will also ship with software version 2.1, which will be a free update to current iPod touch users running software 2.0 or later, and will be a $10 upgrade for users coming from software 1.x. Pricing starts at $229 for the 8GB model, $299 for the 16GB model, and $399 for the 32GB model. All three models are available starting today.

“iPod touch is the funnest iPod we’ve ever created,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Users can listen to millions of songs, watch thousands of Hollywood movies and now, thanks to the App Store, download and play hundreds of great games on their iPod touch.”

« Highlights from Apple’s ‘Let’s Rock’ special event [updated]

Apple intros fourth-generation iPod nano »

Comments

Actually, 32G is enough for me and most users I think. However, if they throw in real GPS like a Garmin, then they’ve got something special. It now has the speaker so they’re one step closer to that happening. Anyone know the chances of this?

I’m still using my 5th gen. video… waiting on real GPS in a touch with at least 32gigs between $300-$400.

Posted by BT on September 9, 2008 at 11:44 AM (PDT)

It’s out go get, iTunes 8 that is

Posted by Rob Cepek on September 9, 2008 at 11:45 AM (PDT)

I want iTunes 8. Where the hell can I get it? It’s awesome because you can now half-rate songs!

Posted by Luis on September 9, 2008 at 11:46 AM (PDT)

Chris,
  My music library is 67GB, I use Orb to go and get my songs as I need them from my main library.
  By Christmas Slingbox will have out their software for sending videos to an iphone and ipod touch. I bet by next spring Apple will introduce their recently patented software that does the same thing.

Stop thinking in the pre-wifi ipod frame of mind. You don’t need to carry it all with you when you can go and fetch what you want.

Posted by gear on September 9, 2008 at 11:48 AM (PDT)

Wow. A speaker. Who needs another 32GB? We can just go and get a little doo-hickey and plug it into the earphone jack and voila we’ll have another 32GB.

Oh wait, that’s not right. We could only do that we a speaker, not with RAM.

So um…why have they still not found a way to pop another 32GB in there, but did include something that a large majority of people don’t even want?

Thanks again, Apple, for making me learn the value of patience.

Meh.

Posted by BoogieNYC on September 9, 2008 at 11:51 AM (PDT)

I didn’t expect a 64GB flash based Touch as 64GB flash drives are still too expensive and limited.  But I was very much hoping for a larger price cut on the current touch line as I figured they would want to cut prices in line with the iphone cuts.  I was looking for the 32GB version to be down to $349.

As for the size of the touch not being an issue because of wifi.  That’s simply garbage.  Part of the whole reason that iPod is as popular as it is is because you can carry your music anywhere and it’s very user friendly.  Whether you are on a plane, in your car, whatever, you have your entire music library with you.

To have to seek out a wifi spot, connect to your computer, go through thousands of songs to pick the ones you want, then choose other ones that you don’t.  Quite simply, that’s not what 99% of iPod owners want to deal with.

Posted by Adam on September 9, 2008 at 11:51 AM (PDT)

Seems to me the issue is with the size of your music collection. If you’re really in to your music - and let’s face it, that’s the core of the iPod - then you’re going to want access to ALL your music ALL the time.

I can see the point re wireless - and this may one day be the case - but you can bet your life the tune you REALLY want to listen to will be the one that’s not on your iPod when you’re nowhere near a wi-fi spot.

I’m just glad I bought by 160GB iPod before they were discontinued.

Now if the iPhone had a 160GB capacity….

Posted by English Tea on September 9, 2008 at 11:53 AM (PDT)

Maybe I’m the only one here who remembers needing to have my computer plugged into something to get access to the internet. Now I use a wireless connection (wifi) to get access to the internet.

I’m telling you all that wifi enabled ipods are like wifi enabled computers. What you want will come to you (yes even on airplanes) via wifi. And it will get easier and easier.

It was hard to transition to that thought process with wireless computers but now its hard to go back to pre-wifi thinking. Eventually the same will be true of wifi-ipod thinking, you will have trouble grasping why you thought you needed to carry everything with you all the time.

Posted by gear on September 9, 2008 at 12:04 PM (PDT)

I’m sure it will get easier in the future.  I’m sure one day there will be wifi on planes.  I’m sure one day ipods will have transmitters that allow you to always be connected to an external hard drive of some sort that can house 100 tera-bytes of music and video.

But that’s not today, and probably not the next 2-3 years.  Right now, to do what you are saying, you basically need an always on wifi connection and a lot of time and energy to go through and change out your music.  Right now, today, 2008, that’s not what most people want.

I’m home every night.  I can change out my songs in itunes everyday if I wanted.  But it’s a pain…I would much rather just load up all the music I have and have all the music I want at all times.

People are not generally buying iPods to last their whole lives.  They by them for a few years, until their are major advances in technology that change the way we think about music.  But to imply that people shouldn’t care about storage size in 2008 is a completely ludicrous argument and completely misses the entire point of why iPods became so popular in the first place.  They are user friendly, easy and low maitenance.  Using orb or sling box requiring a wifi connection is not the simplicity that the mass consumer wants.

Gear, it’s fine that you don’t need more storage.  It’s fine that you found other ways that work for you.  But stop with the holier than thou attitude that every consumer works just like you and wants the same things you do.

Posted by adam on September 9, 2008 at 12:15 PM (PDT)

Oh Steve Jobs, you make me laugh. Millions of songs? Thousands of movies? On 32GB? Gimme a break!

Posted by Cristina on September 9, 2008 at 12:18 PM (PDT)

Who’s got two thumbs and bought a new 16GB Touch 38 days ago for a hundred bucks more with less functionality?

This guy.

Shows what you get for being brand-loyal. Bastards.

Posted by Fred Smythe on September 9, 2008 at 12:18 PM (PDT)

I understand that Wifi gives me access to everything on my home computer ... if I want to run some hacks, leave my iTunes library up and streaming at home when I’m not there, if I stay in a Wifi hotspot, and if I’m willing to forgo the other benefits of an iTunes managed system.  I love my 5G precisely because I am never without any song from my library.  Sure, with my Touch I can make it so that I am seldom without a song.  I can make them retrievable, to an extent, but it’s not the same.  It’s not as functional, while WiFi may be built into my iPod, it’s not built into my world.  I have to seek it out.  That’s not to say that I don’t love the Touch.  I just completely understand why people would like one with higher capacity.  I don’t mind so much not having my entire music collection with me every day, but then that’s partly because if I think I’m going to want the whole shebang, I can just grab the 5G.
The new Touch looks fun, but nothing super compelling.  I just bought mine last week, and I was worried that I’d be kicking myself, but I’m not.  The volume controls would nice, and I could see using the speaker on occasion, but not so much that I would forgo the deal I got on my current iPod in favour of the new one. It’s a nice upgrade, but not a fantastic one.
And in response to price question: I’m pretty sure they dropped $80-$100 in price per model, correct?  I’m pretty sure that yesterday they where $299-$499, and today they are $229-$399.

Posted by Rob E. on September 9, 2008 at 12:20 PM (PDT)

I feel your pain, Fred.  I just bought my 32 GB last Tuesday, right before I heard today’s event announced.  I had heard rumours, but I decided that since they hadn’t been confirmed by a week prior, they were probably false rumours, and I made the purchase.  That said, I’m not bitter.  I’ve never bought any tech without the painful knowledge that it would be cheaper and better as soon as the money was out of my account.  Because I took advantage of the educational deal, I’m not sure I could have bought the iPod cheaper today, though, so that certainly takes the edge off.  Buy, hey, if you’re enjoying it, then it’s worth it.  The 5.5G came out just three weeks after I bought my 5G: higher capacity, more bling, search—man, I would love to be able to search, that hurt—, but then I remembered a painfully long car trip I had taken during those three weeks where my iPod kept me entertained.  Absolutely worth it.  Sure,  you don’t want Apple to drop prices and improve products right after you buy them, but if the alternative is that they never drop prices or improve products, then I guess the way they’re doing it now is just fine.

Posted by Rob E. on September 9, 2008 at 12:30 PM (PDT)

I believe:
8GB Touch was $299, now $229
16GB was $399, now $299
32GB was $499, now $399

It’s not exclusive to apple to refresh technology products often and lower prices.  All tech products carry that risk.  The general rule of thumb I have is I buy what I want, need and can afford, when I’m ready to make a purchase…knowing that in 6 months it could be obsolete.  I just wait until the next life cycle and upgrade again.

However, I do keep an eye on refresh cycle.  I know apple tends to refresh prior to the holidays, so I know to wait a month or two if I need an iPod in August.

Posted by Adam on September 9, 2008 at 12:37 PM (PDT)

To Apple: If you want us to REALLY enjoy iTunes AND your digital media players, we need more CAPACITY!

Posted by rodc on September 9, 2008 at 12:38 PM (PDT)

Were I not eight days outside of the return window on the thing, I probably wouldn’t be as pissed.

Had they just dropped the price without changing the product, I probably wouldn’t be nearly as pissed.

If they hadn’t added the one feature (the external speaker) that would be really useful to me, I probably wouldn’t be nearly as pissed.

The combination, though? Just about the biggest kick in the teeth I can think of right now.

(And I bet the new firmware doesn’t fix the podcast description bug, or let you turn the thing upside down, either. The two things I HATE about the Touch.)

Posted by Fred Smythe on September 9, 2008 at 12:40 PM (PDT)

Where’s the built-in navigation system?

Posted by Planet1960 on September 9, 2008 at 12:41 PM (PDT)

I’m so bummed about not releasing a 64GB touch. I LOVE the new features and the throwback of the mirrored back!

I guess I’ll just have to wait til next year to buy one though.

Posted by ruindpzzle on September 9, 2008 at 12:51 PM (PDT)

64GB = sale
unfortunately for Apple, no sale here. I’ll stick with my 80 GB classic for now.

Posted by imbluenote on September 9, 2008 at 12:56 PM (PDT)

Bought a refurb 1G Touch a couple weeks ago for my son; Apple Store is crediting the difference with the new pricing. I’m now tempted to go with a 32GB for myself.

How does one pull content on and off the Touch without going thru iTunes, though? I haven’t learned that one yet.

Our router at home, and many I find at hot-spots, are still pre-N, and downloading a movie file over wi-fi to the Touch would be SLOW. Does the 1G or 2G Touch have a N-card in it? If so, then I am more inclined to agree, that while 64GB would have been a deal-cincher for me, that 32GB may allow sufficient space with flexibility for moving content on and off on the fly. Still, on a non-secure hot-spot (most I find around town) I’m reluctant to remotely access my server at home.

Based on my experience with 1G Touch I’m not too excited about moving movie files on and off this device on the fly since movie space is what I most desire a 64GB device for.

Posted by Just for Quix on September 9, 2008 at 12:58 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >