Apple debuts second-generation iPod touch | iLounge News

Apple debuts second-generation iPod touch

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, September 9, 2008
News Categories: iPod

image

Alongside new iPod nanos and iTunes 8, Apple today announced the new iPod touch, the second-generation of the iPhone OS music player. As previsouly reported by iLounge, the new touch features a shape that is like the iPhone 3G but with a back made from polished steel, with volume buttons on the side and a built in speaker. New software features include Genius playlist creation, a slightly enhanced user interface, and built in support Nike + iPod — no receiver is required, only the shoe transmitter. The player will offer compatibility with Apple’s new in-line control headphones, as well as battery life of 36 hours for music and 6 hours for video. The new iPod touch will also ship with software version 2.1, which will be a free update to current iPod touch users running software 2.0 or later, and will be a $10 upgrade for users coming from software 1.x. Pricing starts at $229 for the 8GB model, $299 for the 16GB model, and $399 for the 32GB model. All three models are available starting today.

“iPod touch is the funnest iPod we’ve ever created,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Users can listen to millions of songs, watch thousands of Hollywood movies and now, thanks to the App Store, download and play hundreds of great games on their iPod touch.”

« Highlights from Apple’s ‘Let’s Rock’ special event [updated]

Apple intros fourth-generation iPod nano »

Comments

Look, I can understand some you saying something like “I’ll be waiting for the 64gb Touch”, but to say something like “Steve Jobs you just SCREWED me over. I needed 150 GB of capacity and all the feature of the iPod Touch and you didn’t deliver. I can’t believe this guy. D+” is a little unwarranted.

Apple can’t please everyone. If you want capacity now, there is a 120 GB classic. If you don’t want that, then wait. To attack Steve Jobs because he didn’t live up to YOUR fantasies is ridiculous. A 64 GB Touch would be incredibly expensive, and whether you think it or not, not EVERYONE needs 150GB of memory AND Wifi AND touchscreen capabilities. It’s not about what YOU want, it’s about what the majority of Apple’s customer base wants. A $550-$600 64GB touch released today would not sell nearly as much as the 16 and 32 GB models. I can’t wait for the day all you whiners threaten to kill Jobs after he fails to release a 20 TB iPhone ten years from now because you can’t fit your 1000+ Blu Ray collection on there. Geesh.

Posted by Jason on September 9, 2008 at 1:01 PM (PDT)

Ordered mine. Nice price drop. Lots going on with games and apps. Can’t stop myself….

Posted by stefn on September 9, 2008 at 1:02 PM (PDT)

With my old ipod mini 4GB i can plug it into a PC using a USB cable, and the PC would recognize it as a storage device, and then i can move my work files onto it and carry it around with my music.

Now with the top of the line iPod Touch, with its greater storage capacities of 8/16/32GB, i cannot do this!
(unless i unlock it, which i shouldent have to do)

This is just plain stupid!

Apple should re-enable this feature so i dont have to carry around another seperate USB flash drive to carry my work files. Otherwise i wont be buying a iPod Touch, and instead i will go with the competition

Posted by WhyNot on September 9, 2008 at 1:33 PM (PDT)

@gear. I think some of the people who want a larger capacity Touch probably realize that they aren’t always at a wifi hotspot. Streaming content over wifi is one thing, actually having it on your device when there is no hotspot around is an entirely different matter.

Posted by rand on September 9, 2008 at 1:43 PM (PDT)

I agree that making file storage available again would be nice.  It can be done without unlocking, in a manner of speaking.  I believe there’s some aps that will do this (of course you have to buy the aps, so it’s not exactly the same as the free, built-in, functionality).  I use Dropcase, and I love it.  It’s not USB, but uses WiFi instead, so without the right WiFi set up, you might not be able to use it, but I like it because with the right WiFi set up, I don’t even need a cable, and, unlike files on my 5G iPod, the files I put on via DropCase are easily viewable from the iPod.  And, while I haven’t tried it yet, I believe this includes sound and video files, so you can drop music into your iPod from another computer and listen to it before adding it to your home iTunes library, which is a big improvement over the “Classic” style of file storage.  This is a feature I plan to use the next time I’m away from home to keep up with my podcasts.

As to how you download files from hotspots, Just for Quix, I believe it’s not really like downloading and adding it to your iPod’s library.  I believe it’s more like streaming (Music, I’m guessing, more than video) to your iPod.  Maybe someone else will chime in if that’s not the case.  I don’t think you connect to your home machine, grab a file, and go on with your day.  I think instead you connect to your home machine and have access to stream music from your machine over your iPod’s headphones/speakers for as long as you remain connected.  Once you disconnect the Wifi, I’m pretty sure you no longer have access to any songs you played while you were connected.

And I don’t believe the Touch is capable of “N” speeds, so larger files would not be that zippy, but that doesn’t mean you couldn’t try.

Posted by Rob E. on September 9, 2008 at 2:02 PM (PDT)

@Rob E—Thanks. That makes more sense. Battery capacity isn’t good enough to get me too excited about constant music streaming—at least not without concurrent AC access, anyway. Hence, music or video I still think capacity needs to be pushed up. My fear if I buy a 32MB for Xmas that 64MB will come Jan-Spring.
[I guess that’s the fear of every Christmas shopper. grin ]

Thanks for the Dropcase recommendation. That’s functionality worth paying for if Apple’s gonna hold out on us. I’ve only marginally enjoyed the storage feature of my 4G iPod because of the limitations you’ve noted.

Posted by Just for Quix on September 9, 2008 at 2:13 PM (PDT)

Does anyone know if the Nike Amp+ watch remote will work with the new ipod touch?

Posted by Uri on September 9, 2008 at 2:17 PM (PDT)

i bought my ipod touch 16gb about 2 weeks ago, and now they release a better one for less! its stupid, why wud u release it and charge less. why didnt they have a price drop of the existing one in the knowledge they would definitely make customers angry but charging less for a newer ipod touch. I think apple should give some sort of cash rebate or ipod exchange so i can get myself the new one even if i have paid the old, more expensive price…

Posted by Dal on September 9, 2008 at 3:12 PM (PDT)

I have a 120G music collection and recently “downgraded” to a smallish 1st Gen / 16G Ipod touch.  Folks, I have to tell u this is plenty of space.  120 G of music is utterly huge, and I know people have alot more than me.  I would even say it’s borderline too much.  In reality (and confirmed by my Itunes metadata) there is only about 10-20G of music that I listen to on a regular basis.  So why do I need that 1 star rated song clogging up my ipod touch?  In reality I don’t and it took a a simple 16g ipod touch to realize that less is more

Posted by Tim on September 9, 2008 at 5:33 PM (PDT)

Whiners. You claim to be disappointed by apple. Oh I bought My ipod yesterday!... blah blah. If you are loyal apple customers, and if you really show a little bit of interest on getting something of value without losing money, you should know that iPods are updated EVERY september.

You can’t whine for not being informed. It’s your duty as a customer.

Posted by Pablo Galvan on September 9, 2008 at 7:09 PM (PDT)

I concur with Pablo.  The rumors have been going around for quite a while.  And about a larger capacity iPod, go buy the Classic!  I agree with Jason, Apple can’t please everybody, 64GB flash drives are way too expensive to be mainstream, and they obviously can’t change to hard drive.  Either buy or wait but quit complaining.

Posted by Alex on September 10, 2008 at 3:37 AM (PDT)

So from the close-up pictures I have seen, the headphone jack looks recessed.  Anyone knows if this is really the case?

Posted by synb on September 10, 2008 at 5:23 AM (PDT)

I have to agree with Tim. I have a 268G music collection and NO current iPod will let me carry ALL my music with me. I purchased a 16g touch to add to my 3 previous iPods and I am not disappointed in the least. Since I’ve had the touch I rarely even use any of the others. It’s even, for the most part, replaced my iBook on the road. I plug it in at the end of the day, if I want a change I update with new music, a couple different movies and podcasts and I’m happy. Go out, get one and give it a try yourself, you won’t miss much and you’ll be pleased with what you get in return.

Posted by JohnV on September 10, 2008 at 6:40 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3