Apple debuts Works with iPhone; which logo?
Two and a half years ago, Apple introduced “Made for iPod,” an iPod accessory licensing and testing program that provided manufacturers with iPod hardware specifications and an official Apple seal in exchange for a royalty on badged products. Today, Apple has announced a new iPhone-specific program called “Works with iPhone,” and stated that “[p]roducts that are engineered and certified to be compatible with the iPhone will carry the ‘Works with iPhone’ logo on their packaging.”
But which logo is the real Works with iPhone logo? We have our guesses based on the graphic designs here—the upper one is a very Apple-esque design, while the one below is not. But both types of logos, and many other variations we’ve seen (“Compatible with iPhone,” “Made for iPhone”) now appear on iPhone accessory packages.
Why do these logos matter? As Apple’s Questions and Answers page for iPhone explains, “iPhone may cause audio interference with some iPod accessories.” Speakers and other electronic accessories that have not been properly tested with iPhone may exhibit issues that range from minor to serious, and only properly tested electronic accessories will receive Apple’s seal. While it’s entirely possible that third-party accessory makers will learn to test their accessories properly without Apple involvement, most companies offering iPhone accessories today have not done so, and do not yet know how to do so. Consequently, we’ll be checking iPhone accessories to see how they perform with the device, and will be following official “Works with iPhone” developments closely in the future.
- Apple threatens action against accessory makers using leaked device specs
- Typo fined $860,000 for violating BlackBerry injunction
- IK Multimedia announces iRig Mic Studio
- TwelveSouth releases BookBook for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- Report: Apple outlines more stringent requirements for MFi case makers
- Report: Bose products returning to Apple Stores?
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?