Apple discontinues old iPod remote | iLounge News

Apple discontinues old iPod remote

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, July 2, 2003
News Categories: iPod Accessories

I discovered today that Apple has discontinued the remote for previous model iPods. After my remote cable twisted I decided to call the Apple store today to order a new one. A very apologetic representative informed me that it had been discontinued and the new remote was incompatible with the old iPod. I was told that I could use any earphones with my iPod, but no longer use a remote.

« BusinessWeek: How Apple Spells Future: i-P-O-D

MacMice Announces the GPerch for iPod »

Comments

this just opens for the door for people to sell their remotes on ebay for way too much money.

Posted by Jaguares in Bay Area, Ca on July 2, 2003 at 7:38 AM (PDT)

Comp USA still has the old remotes for sale.

Posted by Robert Perkins on July 2, 2003 at 8:21 AM (PDT)

when will Apple ever again fully embrace the hordes of “classic” iPod users? It seems like they want nothing to do with us.

Posted by anarcation on July 2, 2003 at 9:00 AM (PDT)

I had to get a replacement remote as it was. Maybe they were having trouble with defects?

Posted by Songdog on July 2, 2003 at 9:51 AM (PDT)

I called the 1-800-myapple number and told them that my remote broke and they sent me to a page on the apple website to report problems with their product. a few days after i submitted my report they sent me a brand new remote for free.

Posted by iamsachirock on July 2, 2003 at 10:45 AM (PDT)

a broken remote is the least of your worries.  You better pray with the rest of us non-3rd generation ipodders that they even continue to support our ipods !!! (i.e. firmware updates, internal parts, etc.)

Posted by jsmoove7 on July 2, 2003 at 10:51 AM (PDT)

Actually, 3rd generation iPodders ought to pray just as hard, and those who don’t own an iPod yet should watch carefully.

Posted by Songdog on July 2, 2003 at 10:55 AM (PDT)

It’s a real shame that Apple doesn’t support those early customers of iPod who were the ones who supported Apple when Apple was developing the product.

Maybe potential 3rd generation iPod buyers should consider another MP3 player.  What’s goning to happen to you when the 4th generation comes out?

Posted by Josh on July 2, 2003 at 3:56 PM (PDT)

It’s all bout the Benjamins for Apple.

Posted by DJ_JUST in New Jersey on July 2, 2003 at 4:06 PM (PDT)

You whiners sleigh me - does your farkin’ iPod play music or did you only buy one for “way cool” games and BS Note Pads?
Come on - you bought your iPods (hopefully) to play music, and as long as it does that, pipe down.  Apple, did add many FREE enhancements for us Old-Skool iPodder’s - give it a freakin’ reast already.

Posted by Don't Matter on July 2, 2003 at 4:33 PM (PDT)

Don’t Matter, I love my iPod, and it plays music really well. It’s Apple that is losing my affection. They didn’t ignore first-gen iPod owners when the second generation came out. They offered firmware updates. They made the new remote controls available as an accessory. That was good, even cool treatment of Apple’s customers. Now I’m worried that this might be a thing of the past. Obviously I don’t expect my second-generation device to get the benefits of new hardware. I do expect firmware updates to continue as appropriate; Apple taught me to expect this. But Windows iPod users such as myself still do not have 1.3 software, and still do not have any proper support for Audible content, something which was most recently promised for “early May” of this year. Apple gives every sign of no longer caring about second-gen owners, some of whom gave Apple top dollar for the best iPod available just three months ago. What enhancements have they received? Why can they no longer purchase replacement remotes?

Posted by Songdog on July 2, 2003 at 5:40 PM (PDT)

it will probably be all year before we get 1.3

Posted by t on July 2, 2003 at 11:33 PM (PDT)

I can’t wait for Don’t Matter’s farkin’ ipod to start farkin’ !!! I’d love to hear of his experience with apple’s customer service to get it fixed !!!

Posted by jsmoove7 on July 3, 2003 at 3:52 AM (PDT)

Go to an Apple Service Center and order one as a part.  Service centers have access to ports long discontinued by Apple’s retail line.

Posted by Scott Carmichael on July 3, 2003 at 5:05 AM (PDT)

Didn’t know that - thanks, Scott! I wonder what the price is at the service centers.

Posted by Songdog on July 3, 2003 at 5:10 AM (PDT)

Guys….  google for this: WinniePod_Updater.130.exe It will update your firmware to v1.3. that is all.

Posted by unknown on July 3, 2003 at 6:15 AM (PDT)

Hey, your not allowed to use the word “google” as an active verb.

Posted by Rish on July 3, 2003 at 8:38 AM (PDT)

We “classic” ipodders is becomeing minority in Apple Nation.  And finally we will become iPod “Ancient”.

Posted by jjclub in Taiwan on July 3, 2003 at 8:57 AM (PDT)

And when we do, third-gens will become “old” and then we shall see the worm turn wink

Posted by Songdog on July 3, 2003 at 9:03 AM (PDT)

Apple will provide as much support to the 1st & 2nd gen iPods as they do to the original PM G3’s. That said, I’m still “waiting” for my A/V personality card in my Rev 1 MT to be fully supported by Jaguar.

Posted by momus_radar on July 3, 2003 at 9:59 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >