Apple drops iPod battery replacement cost | iLounge News

Apple drops iPod battery replacement cost

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, July 8, 2005
News Categories: Repair

Apple has quietly lowered the price of its iPod Battery Replacement Program from $99 to $59. Originally launched in 2003, the service offers replacement and installation of a new battery if your iPod is experiencing poor battery life and is more than a year old and not covered by an AppleCare Protection Plan.

In June, Apple agreed to settle a class-action lawsuit over battery problems in older iPod models. Under the terms of the settlement, owners of first-, second-, and third-generation iPods can choose either an Apple Store credit of $50, or a $25 check. In addition, the iPod’s one-year warranty is automatically extended for an additional year for third-generation iPod owners and Apple will replace the battery for free if it fails within the two-year period.

« Scion offers iPod upgrade for entire lineup

Mix: Apple Wireless, iPod PC case, Dr. Bott, Download trends »

Comments

awesome.
I guess the new pricing is appropriate since the applecare plan is 59 bucks as well.
I think it would be nice to eventually get battery replacements for free…though I think that’s asking for too much at this point.
Oh well, this is something at least.
Thanks Apple

Posted by brian on July 8, 2005 at 3:40 PM (PDT)

Well with apple getting newer and better batterys to put in it is very possible that when they find a battery that is good and stable they will probably get sued and only then will it happen

Posted by eric on July 8, 2005 at 8:17 PM (PDT)

This is good news.

But can someone please, once and for all, solve the question:

When you send your iPod to Apple for battery replacement, do they simply replace the battery & mail back the original, or do they give you a brand new iPod?

I’ve read that both are “true.”

Posted by Bearsfan on July 8, 2005 at 10:36 PM (PDT)

well this may not completely solve the problem, but I know that if you bring your ipod to a physical apple store you get a refurb brought to you immediately from the back. I would imagine if you did it through mail you would get a refurb so you would get it faster; they’d just mail it as soon as yours arrived.

however, I am positive they do not give out brand new ipods—only refurbs. But they are just as good because they’ve got new batteries and Apple knows how to polish off scratches so they look like new.

Posted by jmaurand on July 8, 2005 at 11:31 PM (PDT)

Are they just as good? My iPods are in perfect condition; they’ve never been dropped - honest! I wouldn’t want a refurb, out of warranty, that may have been used in less ideal conditions. Right out.

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on July 9, 2005 at 2:31 AM (PDT)

my 40gb went on the fritz a couple of weeks ago and i got a re-furb immediately when i brought it in and it’s sweet.  i dont think they polish them up.  one of their techs goes through the insides and they get a new case (top and bottom).  i am very satisfied knowing that someone has touched everypart of it.  the problem with the new ones is that they are just put together by a machine.  mine works perfect.

Posted by schaaking in Minneapolis on July 9, 2005 at 5:16 PM (PDT)

Does this apply to Canada because i checked and the Canadian site still has the same amount which is very high. If they only apply this to the US then i will be very angry at apple.

Posted by ArjunGandhi on July 9, 2005 at 6:37 PM (PDT)

I’m a little confused. I bought my 3rd.generation 40gb Ipod in June of 2004. Now my battery runs dead in 3-4 hours of use.
Does this mean that I’m on my own to replace the battery and don’t get the extra year warranty?
Thanks

Posted by Michael Diprofio on July 10, 2005 at 2:36 AM (PDT)

Can someone clear something up for me.  I would like to send my third generation 20 g ipod back for a replacement battery and/or a new ipod.  I was under the impression from the information on their site that since I have an inscribed ipod it would take 2-3 weeks.  This sounds like a new ipod would be sent or do you still think they would inscribe a refurbished one.  Also would they send me a refurbished third generation one or would they send me the newer model with the click wheel?  Thanks.

Posted by Kathy on July 10, 2005 at 9:29 PM (PDT)

damn screw this… i just replaced the ipod battery for freakin 99 USD :@ hahaha oh well ... its all good

Posted by arvind on July 11, 2005 at 7:01 AM (PDT)

I’ve read that if you have an inscribed ipod and you send your ipod in for battery repair, you’ll get back the same metal casing, but the internals and the front case of the ipod will all be refurbs.

Posted by Bob on July 12, 2005 at 8:59 AM (PDT)

i got a refurbished ipod and my battery runs dead in like an hour can i bring it in to the apple store or send it in to get a new battery?

Posted by tory on August 2, 2005 at 8:01 PM (PDT)

I just got off the phone with APPLE. In regards to the battery replace it takes a total of 2 weeks for the exchange and they send a NEW (to you…lol..) IPOD of the same generation, RARELY will they give you an upgrade. If you’re out of warranty there is NO same day service in a store. They cannot comment on the lawsuit so they can’t say if you will be reimbursed if you go through them for the battery replacement.  its $59 + tax, so about $65.

Posted by Leah on September 12, 2005 at 7:50 AM (PDT)